Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RNR Rank Question

Donny Anderson

Hi All,

What RNR rate would relate to the abbreviation L-TR?

The man was 8017T.S. R.LEWIS. L-TR. R.N.R. Am I correct in thinking he was RNR Trawler Section but I can not find a reference to the rate L-TR, possibly Leading Trimmer? Help please.

Thanks in advance,

Donny

Hi All,

What RNR rate would relate to the abbreviation L-TR?

The man was 8017T.S. R.LEWIS. L-TR. R.N.R. Am I correct in thinking he was RNR Trawler Section but I can not find a reference to the rate L-TR, possibly Leading Trimmer? Help please.

Thanks in advance,

Donny

Donny

There is also this official designation, which maybe the one your after

L=Ratings in the Shetland Section of the RNR

Regards John

Horatio2/John,

Thanks for the prompt replys.

I have this mans BWM and this is how his details are impressed,

8017T.S. R.LEWIS. L-TR. R.N.R.

John, I was aware of "L" designating the Shetland section of the RNR but was unsure as to its position on the medal details, if that makes sense. :unsure::unsure:

Thanks,

Donny

Horatio2/John,

Thanks for the prompt replys.

I have this mans BWM and this is how his details are impressed,

8017T.S. R.LEWIS. L-TR. R.N.R.

John, I was aware of "L" designating the Shetland section of the RNR but was unsure as to its position on the medal details, if that makes sense. :unsure::unsure:

Thanks,

Donny

I guess it must refer to 'Leading Trimmer' as the L is included with his rank.

Regards John

Donny,

Never come across a Leading Trimmer, there wouldnt be any need for one. Im sure its denotes Shetland. But as always stand to be corrected.

Regards Charles

One way to resolve the dilemma would be to obtain a copy of his RNR Record Card - on film at the NA or original at the Fleet Air Arm Museum.

Donny

Further information from the National Archives site which may help

5. Shetland Royal Naval Reserve

In 1914, a separate organization of the RNR was formed on the Shetland Islands. Known as the Shetland Royal Naval Reserve it was unlike the regular RNR in that it was a coast-watching and local defence organization. It was disbanded in 1921.

Records for ratings who served in the Shetland Royal Naval Reserve are also found in BT 377/7 - the letter L prefixes their service numbers.

Regards John

Thanks Guys for all the interest and advise, request in the post to Yeovilton. I will post the result when it returns.

Many thanks,

Donny

His prefix is TS not L, suggesting that he was in the RNR Trawler Section. The Shetland was a separate unit.

If an engine room was big enough there would be leading trimmers, just as you had leading seamen, stokers etc. Frederick Barrett of the Titanic was actually a leading fireman, but is usually referred to as just fireman, for example.

Not quite sure how the comparison between a Trawler and the Titanic let alone the difference between a Fireman and a Trimmer came about.

I am sure there was some men promoted to Leading Trimmer for gallantry or devotion to duty, however there was no need for Leading Trimmers in the Royal Naval Reserve (Trawler Section) in the stokehold of Trawlers/Drifters or Smacks.

The Titanic was fitted with 29 boilers and 159 furnaces. (24 double ended boilers and 5 single ended boilers) Over 8,000 tons of coal filled her coal bunkers.

45 Tons of coal would keep the average Trawler at sea for 12 days? You could fit a ‘Trawler’ in one of the stokeholds of the Titanic.

Just to put it into perspective!

Regards Charles

Donny,

My apologies, I have found reference to "Leading Trimmers" they where instigated late in the war but only one died in service that was at HMS Pembroke in 1920. A Trimmer was paid 3/6 per day Leading Trimmers 4/-.

Regards Charles

• 15 years later...

The letters may be shown as a prefix or (more usually) as a suffix. RNR Official Numbers 1.ST to 3129, ST. were given to Trimmer ratings enrolled into the Special Trawler Section.

Edited by horatio2

1914-15 Star trio.   S. T. 682 I. Thomas. TR.  R. N. R.   B. W. M. and Victory.  682 S. T.  I. Thomas. TR. R. N. R.   Purchased the medals.  Thanks to the help of this forum. I collect to all the Welsh Regiments and Yeomanries. Navy. R. A. F. I’m grateful for any help.      Lyn.