Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. Leonard Brooker 6773 Hampshire Regt.

Richard Jones

Hi Pals,

after years of helping with Worcestershire Regiment enquiries, its my turn to ask for help, please. On behalf of Leonard Brooker's son I am trying to put "flesh" on Len's Military career. From his number 6733, any idea when he joined the Hampshires and which battalion he went to? We know at some point he was gassed. For 7 years he received the "princely" sum of 6 shillings (30 new pence) per week. After the gassing (we assume) he was transferred to the A.O.C.. He survived the Great War and was fit enough to be part of the Home Guard in the 2nd World War. Any other details however small you may think they are concerning Len, please let me know.

Thanks in anticipation Mike Jones

Hello Mike

Have you downloaded his MIC yet? Leonard's service number is obviously that of a pre-war regular/reservist.

The 1st Battalion arrived in France in August 1914 and the 2nd was recalled from India and became one of the first Battalions to land at Gallipoli.

The date of entry into the theatre of war and the code will determine whether he was with the 1st or 2nd Battalions.

regards

Mel

Richard

I forgot to mention that the As & Bs of the service records are on line at ancestry.co.uk and ther is a fairly good chance that leonard's records may have survived given the receipt of a pension.

Regards

Mel

Mel,

thanks for the reply, we do have the Medal Index Card but it shows only the Victory and War medals, no Stars and no date of entry into a theatre of war. So I assume he did not enter France until after 1916. He was born around 1898 , which would have made him to young to legally fight abroad. Eric, his son, is convinced Leonard was not a soldier before August 1914. I, like you suspect Len was in prior to the war starting but we shall see! I will try to register with Ancestry and see what they have.

Many thanks Mike

I can't find him in the pensions - there's only one Leonard Brooker and the details don't match at all. I've tried a few variations without result. Do you know his birthplace?

Hi Greyhound,

thanks for the interest, sorry about the slow reply, severe computer mal-function, AGAIN! Leonard was born in Tonbridge, Kent, I was told by his son. As soon as my new computer arrives I will get definite details. Whilst this one is running I am going back to check on how many Leonard Brookers there were in the army.

Thanks Mike

• 2 weeks later...
From his number 6733, any idea when he joined the Hampshires and which battalion he went to?

If he joined as a regular then that would give him an enlistment date of early to mid January 1903 which doesn't tie in with the date of birth that you have. It is possible that he was a terrier - without checking I think that the 4th Hants numbering sequence may have gone that high prior to 6 figure numbering coming into effect.

Marc

Hi Marc,

thanks very much for that information, my friends face will light up when I tell him we are making progress.When you have the time, could you please check if he was indeed a Terrier and a likely date of enlistment.

Many thanks Mike

There are two individual records on Ancestry. Both for the same man -

Leonard Brooker - Reg no: 3907 5th Btn. Royal West Kents - Address Wilmington, Kent in 1915

Leonard Brooker - Discharged in 1916 aged 16 and a half. (being under 17 years of age ..... Kings Regs etc etc.... )

There are quite a few "Brooker" names. Possibly another forename???? used...