Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Your opinions please

Ferret_uk

Burlington - I will email you a list if you send me a blank email so I can get the attachment to you (zipped text file 210k).

(Same goes for anyone else, just drop me a line).

Please excuse any truncated titles but thats how the database works on limited char set.

All these titles would be available from the IWM shop anyway (as the company I work for is one of their suppliers) or any other shop for that matter even if its only by ordering.

Cheers

Ryan

I'm a big fan of Malcolm Brown too and since his books seem to be in remaindered shops everywhere it won't hurt too much when you buy them all. His "1918: Year of Victory" is very good but I think I prefer his book on the Western Front ("The Imperial War Museum Book of the Western Front"); a series of very interesting pieces on different aspects of the war in France & Flanders.

I would agree with Jim that "The Imperial War Museum Book of the Western Front" is an excellent book

Privately published after commercial publisher backed out at last minute.

Great advice. Put me down for a copy as well. (I thought there was some sort of private publishing of Soldier Sahib taking palce on the Spring - didnt realise it was the OSND as well/instead).

Re. OSND. Publisher was a bit wary of competing with N&M paperback [and also paperback of OSS]. OSND now finalised and will be with printer early in New Year, privately financed, about 500 copies, nearly 400 pages, a proper book, one to treasure, no effort spared.

OSS similar standard, stuffed with relevant photos, some of which will take the breath away. As financing both books privately, will need to see how OSND goes before plunging hand into pocket. Absolutely sure books will sell: my Duty Done is on the last 100 copies.

Both books fully approved by, and in collaboration with, next of kin, so, boy, you should see the pictures.

Ive just finished " They called it Passchendaele" by Lyn Macdonald and found that a very interesting read, now i need another couple of fixes to see me through xmas!

Thankyou in advance

Mick.

Mick,

click on the link and see what you think of this review I did for another site:

They Called it Passchendaele

It is about the fourth one down.

Cheers,

S

Ste,

Having just finished the book like i said, i found your review very good, you dont review for a living do you? ;) .

I have just collected "First day on the somme", so i will settle down to that during xmas, but i will be reading "They called it Passchendaele" in the future again thats for sure.

Regards

Mick.

All these titles would be available from the IWM shop anyway (as the company I work for is one of their suppliers) or any other shop for that matter even if its only by ordering.

Cheers Ryan

This, sadly, is NOT the case with the IWM . On a number of occasions I have tried to order volumes through the IWM shop only to be told that they do not do orders in this way.

I hate to think how much business they have lost because of this.

Martin

This, sadly, is NOT the case with the IWM . On a number of occasions I have tried to order volumes through the IWM shop only to be told that they do not do orders in this way.

I hate to think how much business they have lost because of this.

How recently was this? I do know if you order online for example you can get any one of the 8000 odd military titles I compiled in a catalogue they use.

As previously offered if anyone else now would like a list please send me an email and I can email it back.

If you are referring to over the counter orders please advise and I will take the point onboard and speak to their bookbuyer. There should be no excuse especially in that shop of all places!

Thanks

Ryan

Ste

Toby is a character in West Wing (on E4) - Americian politcial drama (my current fave. prog.). Toby is the President's Director of Communications (i.e. Chief speech writer and spin doctor).

Older and balder than you. :D

John

John,

as, I get it. I have seen it a few times, and now know who you mean. ;)

Older maybe, but when I've finished with this razor in half an hour, you won't be balder - not for a few days!

Have a great Christmas,

Ste

• 3 weeks later...

Just my two cents.....

The FIrst Day on the Sommme is as great as everyone says it is, but it also left me wanting to know more. Which is a very good thing! I felt the same way with the Kaiser's Battle.

Without a doubt though Lyn MacDonald is an awesome writer, her books may be long but everyone is gripping. Be sure to read Roses of No Man's Land as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to thank everybody who recommended Martin Middlebrook's First Day on the Somme. :) I asked for it for Christmas and I've just finished it (slow I know, but going to work does get in the way sometimes).

Anyway, it was fantastic. Everybody who hasn't read it - DO!

Now I'm going to work through some of the other recommendations on this thread

thanks again

Pat

Guest lemon trench

The I would suggest Forgotten Voices of the Great War by Max Arthue. I am in the process of reading it myself and it is absolutely riveting. Done chronologically it blends contemporary personal accounts with a brief synopsis of the developments of the war year by year. Thoroughly recommend it.

Hello all,

Im interested in the views of people who have read the following books please.

Im thinking of buying them but would like your views if possible please.

Deaths Men by Dennis Winter

The first day on the somme by Martin Middlebrook

Ive just finished " They called it Passchendaele" by Lyn Macdonald and found that a very interesting read, now i need another couple of fixes to see me through xmas!

Thankyou in advance

Mick.

Hello Mick,

Another book you might consider about the Somme battle is "The Hell They Called High Wood" by Terry Norman. (ISBN 0-7183-0512-4).

High Wood was a focal point of the Somme battle and was fought over fom July to September and was strongly defended by the Germans with many many casualties on both sides.

Regards Ken.

• 4 weeks later...

The beauty of Martin Middlebrook`s books, I find, is that they are eminently readable. Some military histories can be hard going.

For those interested in the WW1 soldiers` life between battles, may I recommend Frederick Manning`s "The Middle Parts of Fortune"? It was previously entitled "Her Privates We" Phil B