Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Your opinions please

Ferret_uk

Hello all,

Im interested in the views of people who have read the following books please.

Im thinking of buying them but would like your views if possible please.

Deaths Men by Dennis Winter

The first day on the somme by Martin Middlebrook

Ive just finished " They called it Passchendaele" by Lyn Macdonald and found that a very interesting read, now i need another couple of fixes to see me through xmas!

Thankyou in advance

Mick.

Sorry no time to give you a full review but First Day on the Somme by Martin Middlebrook is a MUST for anyone with the slightest interest in WW1. Trust me, you will not want to put it down.

First Day on the Somme is one you will likely read every few years fir as long as you live, I must be up to 5 times or so. I do that with a lot of books.

Mick

First Day on the Somme is an absolute must. It should be everyone's first Great War book. Dead cheap as well - so you'll have enough left over to buy Middlebrook's "Kaiser's Battle". Not as good as his first in my opinion, but a good insight into 21/3/18.

Bearing in mind our other recent exchange, what about 42nd Division History (for 1/10th Mancs). Available from Naval & Military - or do you have this already?

John

B)

Thanks chaps,

Sorry Neil, ive now done a search thanks, im still finding my way around :blink: .

John, thanks for the tip, i think i will buy that book, good advice! is there a website for navel & military?

Thanks again.

P.S. First day on the somme being ordered ;)

I havent read any of those books you mentioned but you might want to try "Somme Harvest", if you havent already. I just finished it and it was a great read.

Paul

Hi Mick,

I list the latest weekly new book releases on my website for anyone's information (as I am in the trade so get the info) so you know what's going on in the world of books. There are over 4000 new titles published in the UK every month (not all military of course!).

Naval & Military do have a website. http://www.naval-military-press.com

For everyone's info I saw a new title today which seems rather interesting - "The Angels of Mons - Phantom Soldiers and Ghostly Guardians" not out till March, ISBN 0470862777

Does anyone know anything else about these ghostly events?

Hope this helps.

Ryan

Got to add at this time of year 'Silent Night' by Stanley Weintraub!

And 'Pillars of Fire' (Messines) is out next year in paperback which was a great read on the one particular subject.

Thanks chaps,

I think im going to need another few bookshelves :blink: . Like i mentioned before this thing can get damn addictive.......

Regards Mick.

Also contact Ray Westlake for his latest catlogue - might be on the internet or someone will post details - he often has some very good bargains.

Got to add at this time of year 'Silent Night' by Stanley Weintraub!

Firstly , Martin Middlebrook 1st Day on the Somme is a volume no enthusiast should be without - but do remember it only covers one day and there were many more days on the Somme (around 150). Martin, himself, considers The Kaisers Battle his best book.

As for Weintraub - Silent Night. I would not even consider it - go instead for Brown and Seaton "Christmas Truce" (Pan Grand Strategy pb) which can be found in the remainder trade for as little as £2.99

You may also find the Book Review section useful and there is also an old thread called something like "What are you reading" which covers numerous books.

Good Reading,

Martin

And 'Pillars of Fire' (Messines) is out next year in paperback which was a great read on the one particular subject.

Hi Ryan,

I've had a signed paperback copy of Ian Passingham's Pillars of Fire bought at the In Flanders Fields museum on my bookshelf for a while now. The paperback edition was first published by Sutton Publishing in 2000.

Gary

I think maybe its a re-release of Pillars of Fire then? Thought it was some time since the hardback. Unless its changed publisher but I doubt it.

I have both Weitraub & Brown/Seaton - enjoyed both. Books are like music, they dont all appeal to everyone and cause great casternation but I hope this little thread has given you some ideas

Ryan

There are so many books I think everyone should read but you won't do better than "The First Day on the Somme". Martin Middlebrook did a great service when he wrote that book.

I'm a big fan of Malcolm Brown too and since his books seem to be in remaindered shops everywhere it won't hurt too much when you buy them all. His "1918: Year of Victory" is very good but I think I prefer his book on the Western Front ("The Imperial War Museum Book of the Western Front"); a series of very interesting pieces on different aspects of the war in France & Flanders.

Cheers,

Jim

Of course given the choice of being marooned with just one WW1 book then I would probably elect to take OLD SOLDIERS NEVER DIE by Frank Richards DCM MM. If you dont already have it then I suggest this goes to the top of yr MUST HAVE list.

I would probably elect to take OLD SOLDIERS NEVER DIE by Frank Richards DCM MM.  If you dont already have it

........ at risk of being entrepreneurial, why not wait for the official, fully annotated, fully illustrated, with index, and Foreword by his daughter, version. I promise you, out in 2004. Privately published after commercial publisher backed out at last minute.

LB1418 - You can certainly put me down for a copy ! Given the garbage that is published, I can't see how this one was turned down.

I would also recommend "The War the Infantry Knew" as a "must have" on the book shelf.

........ at risk of being entrepreneurial, why not wait for the official, fully annotated, fully illustrated, with index, and Foreword by his daughter, version. I promise you, out in 2004. Privately published after commercial publisher backed out at last minute.

Great advice. Put me down for a copy as well. (I thought there was some sort of private publishing of Soldier Sahib taking palce on the Spring - didnt realise it was the OSND as well/instead).

First day on the Somme is marvellous as is also The Hell they called High Wood by Terry Norman first published 1984

The Pen & Sword series are also good BUT I do feel that they are of necessity somewhat sketchy- yes I know that many Forum members were involved with these books.

IF we had a combination of Norman, McDonald, Michael Steadman, Nigel Cave, Jack Horsfall et al then we really would be in clover.

Add to this all the offiicial histories, post war memoirs etc etc

My problem is that there are so many books on the market BUT the market is not in one place- not even in the Shell Hole!

Bookcases can only carry so much paper!

For what its worth I didnt think the Shell Hole had that good a selection unless you had an idea what you wanted beforehand - it was very jumbled but did have an excellent range of secondhand books. This never stops me going there though!!!

If you want to browse with some sanity the shop at the Imperial War Museum is very well laid out and has a very good range.

If anyone is curious as to what is available in general terms in todays bookshops I can give you a list of around 8,000 titles. Of course there will be omissions but this represents the bestselling list based on requirements/sales of all the chains and majority of independent bookshops. It won't have much from 2004 onwards as I compiled it in October.

Ryan

For what its worth I didnt think the Shell Hole had that good a selection unless you had an idea what you wanted beforehand - it was very jumbled but did have an excellent range of secondhand books. This never stops me going there though!!!

If you want to browse with some sanity the shop at the Imperial War Museum is very well laid out and has a very good range.

If anyone is curious as to what is available in general terms in todays bookshops I can give you a list of around 8,000 titles. Of course there will be omissions but this represents the bestselling list based on requirements/sales of all the chains and majority of independent bookshops. It won't have much from 2004 onwards as I compiled it in October.

Ryan

Ryan

Thanks

How can I/we get this list?

Also, I know that the IWM has a good bookshop BUT a request for their catalogue fell on deaf ears and their website is not that good in trying to get an overview of what is available.