Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northumberland Fusiliers

JMO

Hello, I am researching my great great grandfather, killed in WW1.

I am after all that I may find out about him. I am prepared to do the foot-slogging but would appreciate any leads or items members may already have.

Details:

Victor Elton Scott

Serjeant

Northumberland Fusiliers 1st/4thBn A Coy

Died on 26 April 1915 - 2nd battle for Ypres

Service Number 785

MIA / DIA ?

Memorial - Ypres (Menin Gate)

Thank you in advance for any snippets you might be able to provide.

Thanks Guy.

I had already found that great site.

It has been outstanding.

Thanks for your prompt and constructive reply.

John.O

born Preston, Lancs

enlisted Corbridge, N'land

recorded as died - could mean anything from drowned to killed in an accident

JohnMo,

4/785 Sgt Victor Elton Scott served with 'A' Company,1/4th Bn, Fusiliers and although Soldiers Died in the Great War list him as simply "Died 26/4/1915", he was infact "Missing in Action" at the "Battle of St.Julien", (2nd Ypres - 24th April to 4th May 1915) and recorded as such in the Red Cross Enquiry List as of 27th April 1915. There may have been a search carried out as to his unknown whereabouts as the regimental journal(St.Georges Gazette) doesn't record him as "Missing" until June 1915.

Graham.

born Preston, Lancs

enlisted Corbridge, N'land

recorded as died - could mean anything from drowned to killed in an accident

Coldstreamer,

Cheers mate, every bit helps greatly.

Which sites did you use to get this info?

Regards

John

JohnMo,

4/785 Sgt Victor Elton Scott served with 'A' Company,1/4th Bn, Fusiliers and although Soldiers Died in the Great War list him as simply "Died 26/4/1915", he was infact "Missing in Action" at the "Battle of St.Julien", (2nd Ypres - 24th April to 4th May 1915) and recorded as such in the Red Cross Enquiry List as of 27th April 1915. There may have been a search carried out as to his unknown whereabouts as the regimental journal(St.Georges Gazette) doesn't record him as "Missing" until June 1915.

Graham.

Graham, thanks very much. This forum is a wonderful resource and you guys are a credit.

I would love to get a list of useful web sites or at least directions to where they might be listed.

Cheers

John

Just wondering if theres any more info anyone can add to this please.

I would love to see what the uniform looked like etc...

one thing that confuses me is he was born and lived in Nottingham so why Northumberland Fusiliers ?

Private Frederick George Sladen In Memory of Private FREDERICK GEORGE SLADEN 6068, 3rd Bn., Northumberland Fusiliers who died age 29 on 28 February 1919.

one thing that confuses me is he was born and lived in Nottingham so why Northumberland Fusiliers ?

According to SDGW he was born in Preston, Lancs and enlisted in Corbridge, Northumberland. Have we got the right man?

Peter

Also CWGC has him as "Husband of Bertha Annie Scott; of 2. Garden Terrace. Hexham, Northumberland" so NF would be his local regiment

Peter

Nope definatly Nottingham......

Would it have his date of birth ,parents etc where you are looking ?

wires crossed here I think Its Me.... are you talking about FREDERICK GEORGE SLADEN or VICTOR ELTON SCOTT, of whom the original thread is about.

John

Private Frederick George Sladen In Memory of Private FREDERICK GEORGE SLADEN 6068, 3rd Bn., Northumberland Fusiliers who died age 29 on 28 February 1919.

Hello Peter,

As John84 has pointed out Its Me, has also joined in wishing to know about their relative, who resided 28 Collinson St, Hyson Green, Notts and is buried in Bulwell Cemetery. 6068 Pte Frederick George Sladen actually served overseas with the 9th(Service)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers. He is actually recorded as "Died of Wounds" with the 3rd(Reserve)Bn, Northumberland Fusiliers, but as we know this battalion never served overseas. My instincts are telling me that he has possibly been wounded overseas with the 9th Bn,NF and sent back to the UK to recover and as such been posted to the 3rd(Res)Bn,NF for administrative purposes. Seems as though he may never have recovered fully from his wounds and as a result died.

Graham.

JohnMo,

The sources used in your case were;-

Soldiers Died in the Great War - Part 10 Northumberland Fusiliers

St. Georges Gazette - The regimental journal of the Northumberland Fusiliers.

The British Red Cross & Order of St.John - Enquiry List.

Order of Battle of Divisions - Part 2A The Territorial Divisions

He will also appear in the on-line Medal Index Cards; the Medal Roll Sheets(National Archive only) and the 1914/15 Star Roll.

Graham.

Sorry about that guys I missed the introduction of F G Sladden into this thread.

Peter

Sorry it was me i confused everyone :blink:

Yes he did come home....but never fully recovered....

still cant understand his connection with the N F when he was in Nottingham ???

Its Me,

Nottingham had strong links with the Northumberlands, based upon the collapse of the lace industry at the turn of the century. Those that didn't enlist into the local Notts & Derbys seemingly made their way to the NF, probably via a good recruiter. It is possible that Frederick may have been a pre-war regular, or the son of a former Northumberland. Always difficult to tell of the motive of joining a regiment outside of their county, but it would appear that after the war, during one of the first Remembrance Parades that ex-NF men were one of the largest contingents on parade.

Graham.

JohnMo,

The sources used in your case were;-

Soldiers Died in the Great War - Part 10 Northumberland Fusiliers

St. Georges Gazette - The regimental journal of the Northumberland Fusiliers.

The British Red Cross & Order of St.John - Enquiry List.

Order of Battle of Divisions - Part 2A The Territorial Divisions

He will also appear in the on-line Medal Index Cards; the Medal Roll Sheets(National Archive only) and the 1914/15 Star Roll.

Graham.

Graham,

Many thanks again.

Your assistance is heartwarming.

V E Scott became missing in action 92 years ago this week.

Lest we forget.

John

• 5 months later...

You will find about Victor Elton in a book called

Faith and Faith Within

In memory of the men of Hexham died Great War

by Alan Isaac Grint

Best wishes Draperju

Draperju

Is this book currently in print and/or available in Hexham and does it give additional details about Victor Elton Scott ?

Kate

Yes the book is still in print

It contains a little more obout Victor Scott mentions his brother in law who was lost on the same day

He is also profiled in the book with a picture

Book is available from Cogito Books in Hexham or Tom Morgan on the net

Best wishes

Draperju

Thanks Draperju.

It sounds to be a very useful book.

Kate

Yes the book is still in print

It contains a little more obout Victor Scott mentions his brother in law who was lost on the same day

He is also profiled in the book with a picture

Book is available from Cogito Books in Hexham or Tom Morgan on the net

Best wishes

Draperju

Draperju,

Thanks very much for the info.

I am the great grandson of V E Scott and I am actually visiting Hexham at the moment.

Kate has been looking out for me....

I will take a trip into town and see if I can obtain the book.

Thanks everyone for your wonderful help.

Kate, see you Monday.....and thanks also!