Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 RNR Minesweepers

John Hayden

My Grandfather was skipper of an RNR minesweeper in WW1. It was a requisitioned trawler or paddle steamer called Chevalier. I believe they worked in pairs with a wire strung between them. The only vessel I have found (with help) was the PS Chevalier, a paddle steamer which operated at Easdale and Oban in Scotland. I have had great help from the excellent gents on the shipsnostalgia.com website but I read something this afternoon which stated the PS Chevalier (II) paddle steamer was not requisitioned for war service and remained on the Clyde for the duration. So I am unsure where to look for confirmation of the facts.

His name was Arthur Ernest Hayden an ex MN man from Liverpool, who after the war skippered tenders and dredgers on the Mersey and became a pilot.

Any help from any of you fellas would be a great help to me. I want to find the facts to help my cousin in Sydney to pass on to his old Dad who is an ex Blue flue man who jumped ship after WW2.

Thanks.

John.

Hello John, welcome aboard.

Have looked through Dittmat & Cooledge British Warships 1914-1919 (includes the hired and rquisitioned vessels) and can't find any listing for a vessel called Chevalier.

There were about 1400 trawlers in Admiralty service during the war so you can see the size of the problem. Another difficulty is that your GF had the good luck to survive, because, unfortunately, they leave little evidence behind them unless they were involved in something memorable.

Sorry to be so negative. Hopefully, someone else will come with a good idea for tracing him.

Best wishes

David