Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental Numbers and Postings

david8559

Hello all - I am new recruit to the forum so if my questions are little a bit stupid please forgive me !

Looking for help with my Gr Grandad's War Service and the amount of Rgt Service numbers. and abbreviations for units.

I have a number of original documents and this is where this comes from, so here goes:

Pte George Smith enlisted 7/11/14 with the Kings Liverpool (no regimental no.) Family history states he was a marine just after the turn of the Century, and re-enlisted with the Inf in 1914.

On 18/2/15 he tranferred to the Machine Gun Corps - reg number 509 (off his MIC).

He was wounded on 5/7/1917 (Gunshot Wound Right Shoulder) at Ypres this time with regimental no. 32549 and his regiment is shown as HB MGC ?

On his Pension Appeal tribunal after the war (1923) it shows he was tranferred to Tank Corps 11/9/1917

this time with Serial no. 309975.

Another document I have states he served R.F.A (MMGS).

I have his demobization certificate with his number as 309975. He was demobbed from C Company, 17th (A.C) Batt, Tank Corps. His demob certificate is stamped in March 1919 at "Marl???? Barracks Dublin".

Can any of the learned Forum shed any light on the regimental numbers / units / Regiments, or in fact anything written above. Any information will be really appreciated as it is all a foreign langage to me !

Regards and here's to keeping our history alive.

Dave

welcome to the forum

HB - heavy brigade ?

Marlborough Barracks perhaps

dave

Welcome to the Forum. I'm not an expert but here goes with some comments.

As his Medal Index Card doesnt mention a Liverpool service number, it will be reasonable to conclude that he didnt service abroad with the Kings Scousers and was transferred to the MGC whilst still in the UK.

His MIC refers to this being the Motor Machine Gun Service and some details of it are here, which records that it was originally intended as part of the Artillery.

I think the "HB" refers to Heavy Branch of the MGC - the "secret" name given to those training with those new fangled tank thingies - so the enemy wouldnt get a clue there was a terror weapon under development.

John

Thanks for this - some further info

John - You are absolutely spot on - he did not go to france with the Kings Liverpool - just looking through some other letters etc .... his first posting overseas was 29/5/1915 to France.

It shows hime there from 29/5/1915 to 13/7/1917. On the 13/7/1917 he was sent back to the UK to The Scottish General Hospital in Glasgow - where he was admitted at G Smith 32549 of the HB MGC.

Am I to conclude from this that he was serving with the tanks (Heavy Branch) when he was wounded at Ypres on the 5/7/1917 or is this a bit simple ?

And what is with the Dublin demob ?

I am loving this - thanks gang.

Dave :D

I've been told that the first 3000 numbers of the the MGC series were issued to the Motor Machine Gun Service (MMGS for short, which fits with your RFA MMGS note).

Steve.

Have you downloaded both his Medal Cards?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

Medal card of Smith, G

Corps Regiment No Rank

Motor Machine Gun Service Royal Artillery 509 Gunner

Tank Corps 309975 Private

Medal card of Smith, George

Corps Regiment No Rank

Royal Field Artillery 509 Gunner

Tank Corps 309975 Gunner

They may mention the same information, but it is possible that one is for his 1914-15 Star and the other for his British War Medal and Victory Medal.

Steve.

I've been told that the first 3000 numbers of the the MGC series were issued to the Motor Machine Gun Service (MMGS for short, which fits with your RFA MMGS note).

Steve.

Thanks Steve - only just read about the MMGS and that seems to fit with the Royal Field Artillery bit.

So this is the serial number 509 explained do you think ?

Dave

Thanks again Steve - only had one of his cards - just gon to NA now and downloaded the other.

This has proved really helpful as I don't have his medals.

This forum is great - in just a couple of hours I have learn't so much. Can't wait to tell my mum about her Grandad.

Dave

Thanks for this - some further info

I am loving this - thanks gang.

Dave :D

another convert it seems....it gets addictive

Am I to conclude from this that he was serving with the tanks (Heavy Branch) when he was wounded at Ypres on the 5/7/1917

Looks that way to me, Dave.

I know next to nothing about the Tank Corps but I think there may be very good documentation about troops in the early days (bear in mind theit first use was September 1916). Have a play with the Forum's search faciluity a(and Google) - I have it mind there's a Forum member building a database of the early tank crews. If I'm right (and once in blue moon, I am), then it may be possible to identify the actual hisotry of what his tank did.

There is a history of the Coprs available from Naval & Military Press for £22 which might be worth a punt.

John