Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

more on my grandfather

crowechris

I have found out the following information about my grandfather, but now I dont know where to start.

Maybe someone could point my in the right direction as far as regiments and battallions as there is so many.

This is what I got from a cutting from the Police Gazzette in 1914, Some words are missing hence the ??.

Sergeant Major John Snell R.E was called from his police duties at the start of the war having taken part in heavy fighting in Flanders following the ?? in the autumn of 1914.

He enlisted in the Grenadier Guards in 1909 (Kings??)and after three years service he joined the London City Police where he was eventually selected for plain clothes. He was one of the Guards at the Lying-?? King Edward VII. at the throne afterwards received the Victorian ?? class. He was called up on Reserve in August and proceedeed to Antwerp with the ?? early in October, as a Private. He ?? in the retirement from Antwerp to ?? and fought in the first battle of Ypres. He spent the winter in the trenches at Fes?? last spring he took part in the battles of Chapelle, Festubert, Cuinchy, Rich??,Aubers Ridge. He was also present at Kruiscick, Zonnebeke, and Roulers.

He left the Grenadier Guards and was transferred to the Royal Engineers, he was promoted to Corporal and within three?? Company Sergeant Major.He was present at the battle of Loos and since then has been promoted to Regimental Sergeant Major ?? "somewhere in France".

There is another write up in 1917 when he received the Italian bronze medal for Military Valour for constantly brave and cool conduct under fireduring gas attacks. It says he went to Antwerp in 1914 with the 7the division.

The last I know of him is that he retired from the army in 1943 and his Regimental number then was 1842205.

He sought a loan from the Grenadier Guards about that time as he had a cash flow problem with his bootmaking business, but as far as I know he didnt receive any assistance as he was no longer a member.

Would love to know what became of him, seems it could be a sad end for such a brave man.

any pointers as where to start would be wonderful.

The "other" lot

he probably got a MVO - member class of the Royal Victorian Order 1896 - seen a few Grens get them but no Coldstreamers, Lying in state ?

Fes - festebeurt ? Excuse spelling

you could get his papers from the Grenadiers RHQ, Birdcage Walk, Petty France, London

Medal card Medal card of Snell, John - is this your relative ? Ranks dont seem high enough and doesnt show a transfer to RE. Nb Ranks shown on MIC may differ to the medal roll that shows acting ranks

Corps Regiment No Rank

Grenadier Guards 11874 Private

Grenadier Guards 11874 Corporal

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Hi Christine,

Good to see that you have received the police reports.

As Coldstreamer has suggested you should now write to the Grenadiers RHQ. I do not know whether they will hold his records for when he transferred to the RE, in which case you could use my previous suggestion of using the Great War Family Research, at http://www.1914-1918.org/ .

You could copy and post the passages that you are unsure of, perhaps someone will be able to read what it says.

Did you obtain a copy of his photo?

Regards Kevin

I did get a photo and I tried to put it on my message but I couldnt attach it, but if you click on my name the picture is there.

thanks

Christine

The "other" lot

he probably got a MVO - member class of the Royal Victorian Order 1896 - seen a few Grens get them but no Coldstreamers, Lying in state ?

Fes - festebeurt ? Excuse spelling

you could get his papers from the Grenadiers RHQ, Birdcage Walk, Petty France, London

Medal card Medal card of Snell, John - is this your relative ? Ranks dont seem high enough and doesnt show a transfer to RE. Nb Ranks shown on MIC may differ to the medal roll that shows acting ranks

Corps Regiment No Rank

Grenadier Guards 11874 Private

Grenadier Guards 11874 Corporal

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Hi,

I do have a copy of his medal card from 1914. It Says Grenadier Guards no 14319, and R.E no. 143028.

both as a private. The medal is, I think it says 1914 Clasp 11529. clasp and roses? issued and the rest I can't read.

regards Christine