Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Marlborough

MartinWills

• 2 years later...

My grandfather, Alexander Reid McMartin served on the Marlborough during the battle of Jutland. I'm hoping to find a picture of him as I never got to meet him and my father had no family pictures. 

• 6 months later...
On 11/01/2010 at 20:02, MartinWills said:

Tony,

The card was one of a batch I bought back in 2007 all of which relate to HMS Marlborough, some 30 odd in all. There are a few other men named and quite a few who are not. It includes the football team, concert party entertainers and other oddments (groups and single men).

One of the cards was sent to a Lizzie Monks & Mrs Craig living near Loughborough at Oast Leake (from Ted - presumably Edward Monks?) and another has a message to "Lizzie" from Claude.

If you can let me have an email address I will dforward a high res scan of the pic - but beware posting an undisguised email address on forum as spammers will pick it up.

Do you know anything more about Lizzie?

Martin

Lizzie Monks lived with her Grandmother Mrs Craig in East Leake in Nottinghamshire Ted (Edwin) Monks was her brother and Claud was her husband who she married in 1917. I would be interested in knowing what the information on the cards said and any other picures.  I have more information as although I am not related I am interested as I am in the East Leake Local History Society

Maureen

• 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 31/10/2014 at 00:01, Guest Ozsiris said:

My Grandfather Laurence Lonsdale was also a stoker injures in the same explosion when the torpedo hit. I have tried 20 years to find any of his records, RN are most unhelpful. He finally died 1949 from post operative causes related to his injuries an was on a disability pension . Actually i have no real evidence of his naval service other than photos at HMS Pembroke and HMS Paris. I believe he was Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve

Interested in your photo(s) of HMS Paris, as I also had a (GT) Grandfather who served on her for 3 years in WW1.  Are you able to share them with me please?