Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

14567 Pte. Arthur Goodwillie Moffett

Kookaburra

Hoping someone can tell me when the 14th Reinforcements left NZ and where they disembarked please. Also the name of the ship.

Arthur was KIA on 3 May 1917 and is buried at St Quentin Cabaret Military Cemetery. Was this before the push for Messines please?

Cheers, Diane

Hi,

The 14th reinforcements left NZ 26th June 1916. Sorry cant help with ship or date of arrival yet, can check this out for you next week at the library.

The Messines "push" was on the 7th of June 1917. The New Zealanders fought very bravely at Messines and I believe this is a battle largely overlooked by Kiwis.

cheers Aaron.

I can't find anything mentioned for that time in the NZ Division book, and don't have a copy of the Wellington Regiment one, sorry.

All it says is:

An attempt on 30th April on the New Zealanders was crushed by our artillery before it developed, and the enemy was seen to run back over his front parapet and thence to his support line. In the beginning of May he embarked on 2 equally unsuccesful enterprises. Just before dawn on the 5th, a 4th Rifles patrol, which happened to be out on the Steenebeek, reported a party of 60 Germans advancing...

And then goes on to describe the events of that day, plus the second action on the 7th. Unless the Wellington book has some more detailed information, I think we can assume either a. he died of wounds from an earlier attack/assault, or it was from something such as a sniper.

Ahhh, cross referencing with the Otago regiment book:

Pg 170

The Otago Regiment NZEF

by Lieut. A.e. Byrne, M.C.

The final attacks of the Arras Offensive were launched at Monchy-le-Preux and at Fresnoy, the former on April 28th, and the latter on May 3rd.

But I'm fairly certain that's referring to the British, not the kiwis. I really think we need somoene to look in the Wellington Regmient book to see what was up there.

You know, one thing I like about the Auckland Regiment book - despite it's flowery-ness - is that it has an Appendix in the back that states what the regiment was doing on given dates! If only the NZ Division one and various other regimental books did that.

Allie

Diane,

14th reinforcements made up of the following ship movements.

Transport number 56 Manganui 26th June 1916 arrived Devonport 22nd August 1916

Transport number 57 Tahiti 26th June 1916 arrived Devonport 22nd August 1916

Transport number 58 Waihora 10th July 1916 arrived Suez 20th August 1916.

Best regards Aaron.

I can't find anything mentioned for that time in the NZ Division book, and don't have a copy of the Wellington Regiment one, sorry.

Allie

Allie,

As Luck would have it.......I do have a copy of the Wellington Battalion History, well part there of as so many of my relatives served in that regiment. Anyway for 3rd May 1917 it states. Please note the the 2nd Wellington Battalion was in the front line at this time.

" On the morning of the 3rd, the enemy shelled our right sector for several hours, intermittently and threw minenwerfer into the left sector. During the afternoon, the Stokes and medium trench mortars, assisted by the artillery,bombarded the enemy front line, while, on the divisional front, six hundred 60lbs. bombs were fired at the enemy trenches. The enemy again replied; but, fortunately, retaliation was moderate on the 2nd Wellington battalion front, although at 7pm, a small minenwerfer fell on a Ruahine post, killing two and wounding five."

Here are the details of the two Wellington men killed by that minenwerfer, New Zealand lost 3 men killed in action that day, one from the NZRB and two from the Wellington Regiment.

1917May03 28120 Private FREEMAN Charles Henry Collins WIR KIA France Son of Henry and Jessie Freeman. BELGIUM - ST. QUENTIN CABARET MILITARY CEMETERY

1917May03 14657 Private MOFFETT Arthur Goodwillie WIR KIA France Son of John and Totty Moffett, of Watson Bay, Sydney, New South Wales BELGIUM - ST. QUENTIN CABARET MILITARY CEMETERY

I would suggest that is how our young man Moffet met his creator.............my respect to him. He was killed at 7pm, one other killed and five wounded by the same shell.

Cheers Aaron.

The 14th reinforcements left NZ 26th June 1916.

Thanks Aaron :)

The Messines "push" was on the 7th of June 1917. The New Zealanders fought very bravely at Messines and I believe this is a battle largely overlooked by Kiwis.

That would be a month later than when my man died.

When our family decided on the trip the Belgium it was suggested by some members to join in the Official NZ Commemoration Service October, but one uncle stood firm and said NO we will go when Uncle Charles was killed which could well have been 31 July 1917 as he wasn't reported missing until 1 August 1917.

We have a quite to pay our repects to quite a few Horowhenua at the Messines NZ Memorial plus one of our men does have a grave there.

Cheers, Diane

I wish I had a copy of the Regiment book now. We did have one on Interloan from Nat Library but its gone back. Right when I need it. :D

Thanks Allie.

Cheers, Diane

Diane,

14th reinforcements made up of the following ship movements.

Transport number 56 Manganui 26th June 1916 arrived Devonport 22nd August 1916

Transport number 57 Tahiti 26th June 1916 arrived Devonport 22nd August 1916

Transport number 58 Waihora 10th July 1916 arrived Suez 20th August 1916.

Best regards Aaron.

Oh my gosh 3 different ships, I'll try for his Service file after Anzac Day and pray in the meantime that he disembarked at Suez. :D

Thanks Aaron

Cheers, Diane

I would suggest that is how our young man Moffet met his creator.............my respect to him. He was killed at 7pm, one other killed and five wounded by the same shell.

Well that just reduced me to tears :(

Thank you very much Aaron for taking the time to locate and post this information for me.

Cheers, Diane

Well that just reduced me to tears :(

Thank you very much Aaron for taking the time to locate and post this information for me.

Cheers, Diane

Diane,

I know........... very sad, I didnt mean to upset you, happy to provide the info.

cheers Aaron.

Diane,

I know........... very sad, I didnt mean to upset you, happy to provide the info.

cheers Aaron.

There are 3 of us left to tidy up the files and we seem to be as bad as each other and inclined to get very misty eyed very easily. It will be worse on Anzac Day. :)

I really appreciate all the information you have posted for me Aaron.

Cheers, Diane