Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Manchester Regiment

John_Hartley

The official history of the 1st - 4th Pals Battalions.

(Father Christmas came early)

Look-ups done with pleasure. I also have the full war diary for the 17th, together with other documentation.

John

So ,you got one at last then, John? (You lucky sod! :P )

Ok. I'll start you off with a couple...

I've got sketchy details of these, but I wonder whether you have more details. -

A Coy. 16th Mancs. 16th June 1917

and

B Coy. (VI Platoon) 18th Mancs. 29th January 1916

I'm researching a couple of soldiers who were KIA on these dates.

Cheers,

Dave.

Yep. Took the plunge. It was the post from Northern Soul quoting the book and I thought if even Mike Stedman regards me as an expert on the 17th, then I should do something about it. So I said to Mrs H "how do you fancy buying me another pressie". Empire Books in Rochdale has had it on Abebooks for months - so went up this afternoon and "did a deal". ;) Hope this is some use:-

The 16th had been in billets near Hielehoeux.The only reference for the 16th’s tour of duty that includes 16 June is :-

“It was here until the 9th, when it marched to Toronto Camp, providing working parties there until it relieved the 2nd Yorks in the trenches in the Hooge Sector (14th – 20th June). This was one of the worst trench-sectors the Battalion had experienced and there were over 50 casualties. Amongst the acts of special gallantry during this tour mention may be made of Corporal G Simpson. At great personal risk he picked up a smoking bomb from a fire-bay and disposed of it, thereby saving the lives of several men. He was awarded the Military Medal.”

On 28th January 1916, the 18th seems to be split between Fargny Mill and Dragon’s Wood. The book doesn’t record which Coys were where. It records:-

“There was a heavy bombardment on the 28th, presumably to celebrate the Kaiser’s birthday and the 18th had one man killed and one wounded. It was estimated that the enemy sent over about 4500 shells during the day. In the evening, the Germans attacked Fargny Mill and attempted to cut the wire but were driven back by bombs and rapid rifle fire………..A relief was in progress at the time of the attack and the O.C. Mill detained the out-going troops to assist in beating off the raiders, who it was afterwards learnt, numbered about 60 – special troops sent up from the rear to carry out this operation. Very few of them reached our line and of those who did several were killed, including their sergeant major and one was taken prisoner – the first prisoner captured by the Battalion. In recognition of the gallant and enterprising part played by Sergt. Hill, of “D” Company, in this engagement he was awarded the Military Medal.

Heavy shelling continued on the following day and the Battalion had one man killed and seven wounded. The trenches had been badly knocked about but as soon as any attempt at repair was started the whiz-bangs began to come over.”

Thanks John. That definately adds to what I already had (which wasn't a lot!!!), especially for January '16.

Dave. :D

Dave

Just had a nosy at SDGW which seems to contradict the book in recording two KIA on 29/1/16. Which is your man - Loughler/Loeffler or Wilkinson?

John

It's Harry Loughler, John.

Dave.

• 1 month later...

...another one for you John.(Please)

Anything on the 18th Bn on 17th June 1917 ?

(I suspect that they were manning the trenches near Hooge "in rotation" with the 16th, but I'm probably wrong!)

Thanks,

Dave.

Dave

Nothing particularly fascinating:-

"On 9th June the Bttalion marched to Toronto Camp (Brandhoek area), remaining until the 14th, when it left the camp at 8.45pm to relieve the 17th Manchesters in the left Hooge sector, moving by Companies via Zillebeke and Vince Street to alloted positions. By 2am on the 15th the relief was complete and the Companies disposed as follows:-

A Company in the front line, C Company in Maple trench, B Company in Wellington Cresecent, D Compnay in Ritz trench, Headquarters in Maple trench.

On the night of June the 16th a patrol of ten men led by Sec-Lieut J E Smart reconnoitered "No Man's Land" with a view to the construction of a forward trench. Work was commenced in the trench the following night but progress was slow owing to the difficult nature of the ground and thick undergrowth. By the third night, however, a considerable amount had been dug to a depth varying from two to four feet".

Hope this some use, mate.

John

(Later Edit: - Dave - just saw your other post about "yer man". I note Stedman in the Pals book records that there were a lot of casualties for all the Manc Bns on this tour from rifle grenades and snipers. Seeing as he has got a marked grave, does that suggest he copped for it in the main trench rather than out digging in No Man's Land" ?)

Edited by John_Hartley

Hope this some use, mate.

Sure is, John.

Thanks again,

Dave.

• 1 year later...

If you need me to do any look-ups, please email me, rather than use the Personal Message facility or posting here.

I find that I’m logging on to the Forum much less frequently than previously and this will be the quickest way of you getting in touch with me.

John

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
You'll probably get a much more complete service from these folk, so why not try them instead.

The Manchester Regiment 1899 - 1958

They advertise "Looking for information on a Manchester Regiment soldier? We can help, we have access to a wealth of information not readily available to the general public. We can search medal rolls, regimental history, war diaries, newspaper, postcard collections and many more sources."

In deed we do... the nucleus of the group is Great War Forum members with a special interest in the Manchesters. We try to help anyone searching out information on relatives that served in the regiment. Although we tend to specalise in the great war, the remit is 1881-1958.

The site has a large collection of unique WW1 manchesters photos, badge identification section, a small forum, several small biographies plus various articles and research documents from respected members of this forum, many thanks to Andy (stilleto) for his work on the transfer of Manchesters to the Rifle Brigade Depot and Peter Beckett for his articles on Bill Leyland and the 7th Battalion (and proof reading!)

Our database is growing all the time, and with it, our knowledge. We have access to or copies of most of the WW1 war diaries, Unit histories and most published personal accounts (plus a few unpublished) I am quite proud to say we are now recommended by the regimental museum.

My current project is the 24th Battalion, we shall shortly have available an index to the Oldham Comrades Book of Honour (similiar to the M&LFHS 16-23rd battalion index) Roy is currently filling in a gap and is working on WW2 war diaries. Bernard is working on the newspaper database.

Anybody with an interest is very welcome to join or contribute to our group

cheers

chris

The Manchester Regiment Group

In deed we do... the nucleus of the group is Great War Forum members with a special interest in the Manchesters. We try to help anyone searching out information on relatives that served in the regiment. Although we tend to specalise in the great war, the remit is 1881-1958.

The site has a large collection of unique WW1 manchesters photos, badge indentification section, a small forum, several small biographies plus various articles and research documents from respected members of this forum, many thanks to Andy (stilleto) for his work on the transfer of Manchesters to the Rifle Brigade Depot and Peter Beckett for his articles on Bill Leyland and the 7th Battalion (and proof reading!)

Our database is growing all the time, and with it, our knowledge. We have access to or copies of most of the WW1 war diaries, Unit histories and most published personal accounts (plus a few unpublished) I am quite proud to say we are now recommended by the regimental museum.

My current project is the 24th Battalion, we shall shortly have available an index to the Oldham Comrades Book of Honour (similiar to the M&LFHS 16-23rd battalion index) Roy is currently filling in a gap and is working on WW2 war diaries. Bernard is working on the newspaper database.

cheers

chris

The Manchester Regiment Group

i thought the experts would have joined,bernard

• 4 months later...

The site has a large collection of unique WW1 manchesters photos, badge indentification section, a small forum, several small biographies plus various articles and research documents from respected members of this forum, many thanks to Andy (stilleto) for his work on the transfer of Manchesters to the Rifle Brigade Depot and Peter Beckett for his articles on Bill Leyland and the 7th Battalion (and proof reading!)

cheers

chris

we now have a new and improved website, :P

we are still ( and will always) be looking for more information, personal stories of the regiment that will add the site

who are we?

the manchester regiment group

chris