Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Army Ordinance Corps

oak

Pals,

I've come across a Staff Sergeant in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers who was killed in Gallipoli. He had previously served in the Royal Army Ordinance Corps. I'd be grateful if any Pal could tell me anything about the latter unit. I'd also be grateful if anyone could suggest why he might have been transferred from this unit to an infantry battalion.

Regards,

Philip

Philip

Wikipedia link here should give a bit of an overview.

Basically the organisation dealing with the supply of munitions and heavy weaponry. My Great Uncee Ben (see signature) was a Staff Sergeant with them. He was an armament artificier attached to an RFA brigade - in effect the brigade's Chief Mechanic.

John

Hello

I don't think the RAOC (Royal Army Ordnance Corps) existed in 1914-18, they were then only the AOC. John is correct as to their role. Ordnance is a word used for the barrel and breech of a gun. Some Warrant Officers in the Corps had the title Conductor of Ordnance.

Ordinance is, I think, something quite different related religious instructions.

Old Tom

Hello

I don't think the RAOC (Royal Army Ordnance Corps) existed in 1914-18, they were then only the AOC. John is correct as to their role. Ordnance is a word used for the barrel and breech of a gun. Some Warrant Officers in the Corps had the title Conductor of Ordnance.

Ordinance is, I think, something quite different related religious instructions.

Old Tom

[/quote

Became Royal Army Ordnance Corps in 1919,my Husbands Father served with the ROAC and was killed during the fall of Singapore in 1942,and he was quote"transferred to the REME at a time after his death"according to the Army records,the Army obviously thought at the time there was life after death.

Joan

Hello,

Right out of time scale for this forum but REME was formed in 1942.

Old Tom

" Ordinance " , " Uncee Ben " then " To the warrier his arms ". All in seven posts.

Come on lads, lets have some accuracy on the spelling front.

If you are really serious about the history of the RAOC then you are in luck, this book has just been published and is availible frm amazon for about £21.

Pals,

Many thanks for all those very interesting and helpful replies.

Regards,

Philip