Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1911 Census Release Update

Stebie9173

Thanks Jim, that's interesting. More details about marriage and children - but I don't see the actual address anywhere. Do you know what the numbers mean that appear after the birthplace?

See this example of a completed 1911 householder's schedule: Jim

So is this all we will get in 2009 for £45?

Makes Ancestry look an absolute bargain!

No news yet on charging for download images etc. in 2012? £1.50 per record as 1901 when it was released? Again makes Ancesrty lokk a bargain.

Peter

£45 is the NOW cost by household only (they are not yet indexed by names).

You will get the image shown online from 2009 (plus I believe there are other pages with address details, etc.?), and uncensored from 2012.

Steve.

Thanks Jim, that's interesting. More details about marriage and children - but I don't see the actual address anywhere. Do you know what the numbers mean that appear after the birthplace?

The 1911 census was the first one which was processed using punch card data and mechanical sorting to analyse the results. The numbers after birthplace and occupation relate to the punch cards codings.The household schedules were coded and then the codes were punched onto the cards, which could then be machine sorted, counted and tabulated depending on the coding criteria used to sort the cards. This allowed different combinations of data to be prepared much more quickly.

The address may be on the other side and will be linked to the schedule number (top right corner) - again the numbers here will relate to punch card coding.

Interesting aside, this was the first census which sought to obtain "fertility" information by asking about children born to married women (previous censuses only recorded children living at the time of the census).

Mary

The 1911 census was the first one which was processed using punch card data and mechanical sorting to analyse the results.

Now that IS interesting, Mary! I wonder if the technology was supplied by The Tabulator Limited (later the British Tabulating Machine Company; much later International Computers & Tabulators Ltd, which became ICL)?

The address info, I understand, IS on the other side of the householder's schedule.

Who knows, or can even guess, what it will cost to see this info in 2009 onwards? I seem to recall seeing that TNA's 'partner' in this is to be Scotland's People who seem to have a monopoly on Scottish genealogy records.

Jim

Now that IS interesting, Mary! I wonder if the technology was supplied by The Tabulator Limited (later the British Tabulating Machine Company; much later International Computers & Tabulators Ltd, which became ICL)?

Hi Jim,

Indeed it was. They desgned a special machine to analyse the census data and (you probably already know this) several BTM engineers worked a Bletchley Park in WW2.

TNA's partner is going to be the Scotlands People. This census will be a bit different from the last one as the individual household returns have been kept (because of the punch carding) so what we will get is something actually completed by our ancestors!

I think its a real shame that TNA can't co-ordinate themselves on making their records available in one place. We've got 1901 census with the Friends Reunited mob, soldiers records going to Ancestry (which I don't like - you have to start paying before you know if they've got anything at all that is relevant to you - I've already wasted money not finding the men I was looking for) and now ANOTHER place for the 1911 census. You end up paying a bit here and more there and it can get pricey (not to mention confusing in being subscribed to umpteen different systems). :angry:

Hey ho - I must be grateful that it is all getting to be so easily available for those of us who can't get to record offices very often.

Cheers

Mary

Hi Steve, :)

Very many thanks for pointing this out. I really can't wait for it to come out !!

Cheers

Tim.