Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry Norman FORBES Maj 5th Lancers

stevenbecker

Mates,

Does anyone have the History of this Regt and can anyone find a reference to him.

Henry Norman Forbes was a Sgt in the 5th Lancers in the Boer War number shown as 4216 and at the start of the Great War is shown as a Sgt/Maj in the Warwickshire Yeomanry number 54/4216 untill commisioned as 2/Lt in the 5th Lancers.

He served with the Composite LHR in Western Egypt as Adjt but after that he appears to have gone to Maj with the 5th Lancers.

Can anyone fill in some of the gaps and any details of this mans past, like where he lived.

Cheers

S.B

hello

I have had a look on ancestry for you and i can only see four Henry Norman Forbes on there, but only one is old enough to have been in the Boer war, this is their details

from 1891 Census

Civil Parish - Folkestone, Kent

Henry Norman Forbes

age 17

Father- William

Mother- Hannah

born in Sealcot India

from the Army Births & Baptisms

Henry N. Forbes Sialkote 1874 Regiment 15th Huss Vol 280 Page 50

I can not find this person in the 1901 census.

jane

Jane,

Thanks for that.

Its posible he was still at the Boer War for the 1901 cencus?

Cheers

S.B

Mates,

My inqury to the QRL Museum has drawn this reply.

"Dear Mr. Becker,

Thank you for your email. We have some information on Captain H.N. Forbes and if you would like to send us a sterling cheque for £10 payable to QRL Museum, we will be pleased to pass it on to you. Our address is The Queen’s Royal Lancers, Lancer House, Prince William of Gloucester Barracks, Grantham, Lincs., NG31 7TJ.

Best wishes, David Nalson, Volunteer."

Mates I don't know about you blokes but thats a lot of money (about $30 Aust dollars) for "some information" on the man I am looking at?

Can any of you give me some ways to short cut this expence or can you help with the question first asked?

Cheers

S.B

Mates,

My inqury to the QRL Museum has drawn this reply.

"Dear Mr. Becker,

Thank you for your email. We have some information on Captain H.N. Forbes and if you would like to send us a sterling cheque for £10 payable to QRL Museum, we will be pleased to pass it on to you. Our address is The Queen’s Royal Lancers, Lancer House, Prince William of Gloucester Barracks, Grantham, Lincs., NG31 7TJ.

Best wishes, David Nalson, Volunteer."

Mates I don't know about you blokes but thats a lot of money (about $30 Aust dollars) for "some information" on the man I am looking at?

Can any of you give me some ways to short cut this expence or can you help with the question first asked?

Cheers

S.B

Steve,

If I am right there should be quite a lot of mention of him in the history - it may well be worth paying your money. From the War Services Supplemenr to the 1924 army list:

Forbes, H. N. (Maj. ret. pay.) (Capt. Qr. Mr. Warwick Yeo.)

S. Afr. War 1899-1902 Desparches L.G. 10/9/01 Q.M. K.M. D.C.M.

1914-21 On Staff as (1) Staff Capt 1/3/16 to 28/11/17, and (2) D.A.A.G. from 29/11/17

France & Belgium 26/3/16 to 11/11/18. Egypt 22/11/15 to 21/2/16. Wounded. Despatches L.G. 4/1/17, 15/5/17 & 5/7/19. 1914/15 S. B.W.M. V.M. M.C.

You have a chap with two gallantry awards & multiple Mentions in Despatches, even if the latter was away away from his regiment.

His personal service record may still survive at the National Archives at Kew - you would have to check.

Regards,

Matthew

Mate,

Many thanks for the details, yes there appears a lot to this man then I believed.

I'll save my beer money for the month and give it a go.

S.B

Steve,

How goes it mate. No need to cough up a tenner for the info I have it all here. Forbes was a corporal when he was awarded the DCM in 1901. He was part of a three man team who volunteered for a perilous scouting mission, to which Forbes put himself in considerable danger by crawling up to a recently captured post and acertaining the situation and giving aid to some wounded Royal Irish Rifles soldiers. The account of this action I have, and it is quite accurate is he is telling it in his own words. I don't have time to write it up at the moment but will try and do it in the next day or so.

• 3 years later...

Steve

Forbes is listed in the Warwickshire Yeomanry 'B' Squadron Roll for 1913 as living at 45 Cherry Street, Warwick.

His medals can be seen in the WkY Museum and in the Museum website.

Here he is at the WkY Annual Camp in May 1912 at Combe Park, Coventry. He is the one wearing four medals on the left of the picture as you look at it. We have a group photo of the WkY Officers circa 1924 all wearing their medals which includes him.

post-48147-080299200 1292518883.jpg