Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Brodie Helmet Identification needed

German_Sniper

I have what I believe to be a World War 1 British Bodie helmet. It is in good condition and still with its original lining. (although the strap is doubtlessly a modern replacement) The helmet is made out of manufactured steel and no manufactures marks are evident.

Can anyone help in identifying this helmet? I have included a series of pictures for the sake of interpretation and will gladly supply any additional questions you may have.

~The German Sniper

DSCF1661.jpg

DSCF1661.jpg

DSCF1664.jpg

Sniper.

I'm no Expert, but have You had a look inside the Liner! (to see If there is a 'Brodie's Patent red ink stamp' under the oilcloth)?

Just Thought! ;)

post-20403-1176348782.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion.

I'l go do that now and get back to you shortly

How do you get the liner out without damaging it or the helmet?

:unsure:

Its ok.

Thanks for the lead though

HELLO German Sniper.

Sorry to inform you, but your Brodie is not WW.1 vintage... it's WW.2 or later. The chinstrap hangers are of the wrong pattern for WW.1. Also, liner cushon is WW.2 to 1990's, and chinstrap is WW.2 and post vintage.

Seph :ph34r:

The chinstrap hangers are a modern replacement

So this helmet should be properly considered ww2?

Yes, Deffinateley WW11 or later.

Guest Trenchwire

[/q

Sorry to inform you but im afraid this is defiantly a ww11 helmet, the brim around the helmet and the chinstrap bars are defiantly ww11 and are both a dead give away, and the helmet is not rippled as you look at it ,this was done in the press when they were made,but just in case there is any doubt,

is the helmet marked on the brim with either of theses initials?you might be in luck 100% SURE THOUGH I HAVE 8 BRODIES SO IM PRETTY SURE MY FRIEND :(

HV

HS

FS

FKS

DS

DA

How do you get the liner out without damaging it or the helmet?

:unsure:

Put a big screwdriver in the top screw but DONT turn it,then turn the nut on the inside.It wont be tight.

WW1 Brodies had a copper rivet in the top that would have to be destroyed to be removed/change the liner.

Guest Trenchwire
Put a big screwdriver in the top screw but DONT turn it,then turn the nut on the inside.It wont be tight.

WW1 Brodies had a copper rivet in the top that would have to be destroyed to be removed/change the liner.

Yes Dave the liner is definatly replaced :P

Yes Dave the liner is definatly replaced :P

said with a french accent 'neeerrrrrrrbbb' :D

thanks guys

So any leads as to when or where this was used in WW2 or is it (as far as we can tell) a generic WW2 helmet

Guest Trenchwire
So any leads as to when or where this was used in WW2 or is it (as far as we can tell) a generic WW2 helmet

SOMETIMES THESE ARE DATED ON THE BRIM SO HAVE A CLOSER LOOK.

NO IDEA WHERE IT WAS USED, BUT IT WAS MOST LIKELY USED IN WW2, HOWEVER IM AFRAID YOU WON,T KNOW FOR DEFINITE UNLESS YOU NO THE OWNERS NAME.

YOU MIGHT BE LUCKY AND FIND IT IN THE IN THE LINER, THAT WAY YOU CAN TRACE HIM THROUGH THE ARCHIVES AT KEW.

THE CHINSTRAP IS POST WW2 AS THE WARTIME ONES WERE SPRING LOADED, LOADS ON EBAY IF YOU WANT AN ORIGINAL

Ok I'll have a look at that now