Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SHERWOOD FORESTER JOHN JONES

melmerry

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO SENT ME INFO AFTER MY PREVIOUS POST, I STILL NEED SOME QUESTIONS ANSWERED, JOHN JONES WAS IN THE 2ND BATTALION WERE THESE REGULAR SOLDIERS OR RECRUITS SPECIFICALLY FOR THE WAR, IS IT POSSIBLE HE WAS A REGULAR SOLDIER BEFORE THE WAR.

MY MOTHER IN LAW REMEMBERS HIM TELLING HER OF HOW HE RECEIVED A HOLE IN HIS UPPER LEFT ARM WHICH HE SAID WAS A BULLET HOLE FROM BEING SHOT WHEN HE WAS IN SINGAPORE. WERE THE SHERWOOD FORESTERS EVER IN SINGAPORE AND IF SO WHEN, SHE SEEMS TO THINK THIS IS WHERE HE RECEIVED HIS OTHER CONDUCT MEDAL SHE REMEMBERS HIM HAVING. HE TOLD HER A STORY OF HIM BEING PUT IN A GLASS HOUSE FOR STEALING A RIFLE, BUT WAS THEN RELEASED WHEN THE LOCALS DEFENDED HIS ACTIONS AS HE WAS SAVING THEM FROM SOME SORT OF DOG.

DOES THIS RING ANY BELLS WITH ANYONE, CAN ANYONE HELP ME WITH SOME POSSIBLE PLACES, DATES, EVENTS OR ANYTHING?

THANKS IN ANTICIPATION

Hi,

I'm not aware of your other thread, could you give me a link?

The 2nd Battalion was a regular battalion but whether your chap was depends on when he enlisted. Do you have any details?

The 2nd were not in Singapore at any stage of the Great War. It was in Sheffield when the war began, in France on 10 September 1914 and remained on the Western Front throughout.

Hi,

I'm not aware of your other thread, could you give me a link?

The 2nd Battalion was a regular battalion but whether your chap was depends on when he enlisted. Do you have any details?

The 2nd were not in Singapore at any stage of the Great War. It was in Sheffield when the war began, in France on 10 September 1914 and remained on the Western Front throughout.

the only reason I ask is, that he was born in 1882 or 1883 which would have made him about 30 at the start of the great war, we know nothing about him other than he was in the sherwood foresters.

I am ignorant i'm afraid as to how people who enlisted became to be in a particular battalion etc. with the 2nd battalion being a regular battalion i wondered if he was more likely to be a regular soldier.

The only other memory my mother in law has is of his wound he said he got in singapore, I can't see him being in singapore in 1942 as he would have been about 60, so I put 2+2 together and wondered if there was any possibility of him being in singapore earlier than this.

The 1st Battalion were in Singapore in 1904, but I've no idea what they were up to.

The 2nd were in Sitapore (India) 1897-1898, but he would probably have been too young for this.

Do you know anything more? Middle name? Any medals? A regimental number? A photo? Any additional clues may help, because I count 36 men named John Jones who served with the Notts & Derbys in the Great War!

JOHN JONES WAS IN THE 2ND BATTALION WERE THESE REGULAR SOLDIERS OR RECRUITS SPECIFICALLY FOR THE WAR, IS IT POSSIBLE HE WAS A REGULAR SOLDIER BEFORE THE WAR.

If you think that he was in 2nd Battn, then this might be your man

post-4619-1176665463.jpg

But as Andrew has said, additional info may prove this to be right or wrong

cheers

Mike

If it is, his number suggests a 1904 enlistment.

Also this chap arrived in France exactly one month after the rest of 2nd Battalion. I wonder if that's a clerical typo which should read 10/9/1914?

Also this chap arrived in France exactly one month after the rest of 2nd Battalion. I wonder if that's a clerical typo which should read 10/9/1914?

Thats a good point - I didn't spot it :huh:

But, I think that I've seen a few men from the 2nd Battn that arrived on that date. I wonder if they were Reservists 'catching up' with the Battn?

HE RECEIVED HIS OTHER CONDUCT MEDAL

The suggestion by Mike, i.e. 9594 Pte Jones J. , was awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal for 9th August 1915 at Hooge. Picture in the NDR Gallantry book.

Stuart

Excellent Stuart. So, Mike's J. Jones is looking to fit the bill so far.

Merry, can you offer us anything more?

Backtracking over Merry's other posts I see this thread:

Here, she suggests, before Stuart's intervention, that she already knows he had a DCM at Hooge and gives his regimental number! This is the chap.

If it is, his number suggests a 1904 enlistment.

Monday morning thoughts......... <_<

I guess its quite possible that enlisted initially in the 1st Battn and spent some time in Singapore and India. Completed his 7 (is that right?) years in the Colours and then became a reservist.

On the outbreak of War he was called up and went out with a bunch of reinforcements in October 1914 :huh:

If his Army Service Records didn't survive then maybe his Pension records did. As a Regualr would he have been entilted to a Pension?

Mike