Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Bn South Staffs Regt

bazar

Hi all

Trying to find any info on my grandfather before going to Kew.

He was 10688 Pte James Hewitt 2nd Bn South Staffs Regt who died of wounds 19 Aug 1915 and he is buried at Chocques military cemetery. He was only 32 when he died and left a wife and 6 children behind in Birmingham.I have his medal card but just says theater of war France so anything would be a help.

many thanks. shelsley.

Hello Shelsley.

SDGW records him as :

James Hewitt Private 10688 2nd Bn South Staffordshire Regiment

Born Birmingham

Enlisted Birmingham

Residence Bordesley, Warwickshire

DOW 19/08/1915 France & Flanders

Hope this is the start of a lot more information for you.

Jarvis

Hello Shelsley.

SDGW records him as :

James Hewitt Private 10688 2nd Bn South Staffordshire Regiment

Born Birmingham

Enlisted Birmingham

Residence Bordesley, Warwickshire

DOW 19/08/1915 France & Flanders

Hope this is the start of a lot more information for you.

Jarvis

many thanks Jarvis for your instant reply this information will be priceless in building up a full picture of his short army life, I dont know what the chances are but I hope to get some medical evidence at Kew but I belive this is most unlikly.

Thanks again shelsley.

Shelsey

You can obtain parts of the 2nd South Staffs War Diary from the NA. It is under WO95/1362 and covers the period Aug 1914 (When the Battalion was raised in Aldershot) to April 1919. It is downloadable in whatever parts you ask for,for a fee (10 pages for 8.50). I would suggest that you start with August 1915 diary,which may not stretch to 10 pagesor I guess you could ask for the 10 pages up to and including 19 August. This may well give you as much as from mid July forward. You will be able to see the day-to-day actions of the Bn,and casualties as they occur,though the Other Ranks are rarely named.

I also hear that a Battalion casualty record was kept and is now in a series under MH106 at the NA,but have yet to test that myself. Maybe someone here has tried it and will add a comment.

Meant to mention that there is a page on 2 Division which is where the South Staffs were situated and in 6 Brigade. See:

http://www.1914-11918.net/2div.htm

Best wishes

Sotonmate

Thanks for everything Satonmate you have helped me no end particularly with the numbers I would not have had a clue were to start;

My plan is to go to Kew possibly next Thursday and I have read on this site that it can be a daunting place at least now I will have a starting point, I think I will start with WO363 and then work through the numbers you gave me

Thanks again Shelsley