Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

finding medals

artyali

Can anyone give me a pointer as to where i would find out about what medals my Great Uncle may have received post-humously. He was killed in action 1/7/1916 at Gommecourt, France, fighting with the 2nd London Regiment Royal Fusiliers and buried at Gommecourt British Cemetery no2. We think that my Great Grandparents (his parents) may have received them, but they have been misplaced over the years. I have the coin, and the scroll, but it would be nice to have some knowledge of any medals he would have received.

I also have all of his correspondence to my great grandparents from when he was stationed at Suffolk just before he went to France, right up until his death in France. If anyone is interested in them, please email and i will gladly give information.

Alison Fraser

Always remembering Pvt John Cyril Caley from Blackheath, 2nd London Rifles, Royal Fusiliers, killed at Gommecourt 1/7/1916 aged 18.

from the card you can check the medal rolls which may indicate what happened to the medals - ie if returned etc

Thanks for that information, i managed to download a copy. In the section where it says 'remarks' , it is blank, does this mean that they were never claimed? as some of them have addresses of applicants in the box?

I can clearly see which medals he was awarded, but not sure if the family received them or not.

Alison, are you able to upload the medal card for us to see? You'll need to resize it beforehand so you only upload that specific card of the several you will have got on the sheet, otherwise the forum won't allow you to upload it (the file will be too big).

Allie

Alison, the family would have been sent the medals , they did not have to be claimed. If they had been returned for correction etc. this would have been indicated in the remark section. gareth

1oo kb max size

The WWI medals were not claimed, they were issued by Special Delivery (Registered Mail) to either the soldier's home address or the address of the next of kin as recorded on his service papers and had to be signed for, if they were returned it is usually noted on the card and definately on the medal roll. If there is no abreviation or 'returned' comment they did not go back and someone accepted the medals. There were tens (if hot hundreds) of thousands of these cards written by hand by the Royal Fusiliers clerks, no remarks means that there was usually nothing out ot the ordinary to note down and they were issued normally.

Thank you so much for all of your replies! indeed very helpful as we did actually believe that my Great Grandparents received them, although there was a bit of doubt as they were real magpies and so were my Gran and Grandad (John was his elder brother)...the letters were kept along with all other war office correspondence but alas no medals. I have this re-occuring nightmare that some of my relatives may have thrown them out accidentally whilst clearing out my Grandparents personal effects when they passed away! grrr!

Regards, Alison

P.S Im secretly quite glad that i didnt have to re-size the records as im bloody useless on this thing!