Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS/s E18 in the Baltic

submarine

Hi Colin, since this all came to light a few families have bobbed up, none as yet have a Cross of St George with their medals.

For those interested, the family of Lt Cdr. Robert Halahan are doing a wonderful job with the following.

HM Submarine E18 – Newsletter 1 – April 2010

Dear All,

This newsletter is going out to the known families of the crew of HM Submarine E18 and the many others who have expressed an interest, or helped to arrange the visit to Tallinn at the end of May.

I hope it will keep you informed about what is going on and help to make this a memorable trip, the main purpose of which is to pay our respects to all those lost on June 2nd 1916 and ensure that they are not forgotten.

Wishing you a very Happy Easter,

Robert Davenport.

Tallinn 28-31 May 2010

There are some definite events shown below, and some that are still being worked on. However this is very much a “make your own way” trip and it up to you to decide where you want to join in, or fill the gaps - Tallinn is an interesting city to explore, or just relax.

15 of us are definitely travelling out from the UK – Sean Carter, Guy Davenport, Marian and Keith Hoffmeister, Richard and Linda Joyce, Jeremy and Wendy Mathers, Vic Powell and his son, Jill and Fred Rees, Derek and Susanne White, and myself.

A number of others have previously expressed an interest in visiting Tallinn, and I hope you will have already received the information about travel and accommodation options. If not, let me know and I will send it again.

At the moment it seems likely that about 50 people will gather at the Service of Remembrance on Sunday. Important: several items below have YES/NO - NUMBER written against them and if you are going to be in Tallinn, please reply to me with those lines updated so that we can plan accurately for the number of people attending these events.

Friday 28 May

Arrival according to personal arrangements. There are no scheduled events on Friday.

Saturday 29 May

10:00. Maritime Museum. A visit to this very interesting museum which includes the Vickers-built submarine Lembit. You will need to buy a ticket.

YES/NO - NUMBER

12:00. Tallinn Old Town. A guided walk around the medieval city.

YES/NO - NUMBER

16:00. Meeting. Location to be confirmed. To discuss the E18 Memorial Fund and the status of E18 as a Maritime Military Grave (see below).

YES/NO - NUMBER

19:30. Dinner. Location to be confirmed. A chance to relax in good company and raise a glass to our ancestors. Cost will be about 25EUR per head, depending on numbers.

YES/NO – NUMBER

Sunday 30 May

12:00. Püha Vaimu - Church of the Holy Spirit. Service of Remembrance and dedication of E18 Memorial Plaque.

YES/NO – NUMBER

13:00. Refreshments. Location to be confirmed.

YES/NO – NUMBER

15:00. Püha Vaimu - Church of the Holy Spirit. English-language Sunday service and Holy Communion.

YES/NO – NUMBER

Monday 31 May

Morning. To be confirmed – possible visit the Estonian Navy at their base in Tallinn. Obviously this will depend on their operational priorities at that time, and numbers may be restricted - but more news later.

YES/NO – NUMBER

Afternoon. Departure according to personal arrangements.

Poppy Wreaths

I have been asked about laying wreaths at the Remembrance Service, or possibly at the New Garrison Cemetery. You can order wreaths if you wish from the Royal British Legion but before you do, please let me know and depending on numbers, it may be possible to arrange a single delivery to Tallinn for collection on the day.

YES/NO – WREATH DETAILS

Memorial Fund

Unfortunately nothing in this life is free, and so I need to start asking for contributions towards the cost of the Memorial Plaque and to ensure that it is maintained and retained for generations to come. But please do not send any money now as I have not yet had the bill.

I would also like to discuss starting a more formal fund, if there is sufficient interest and people prepared to stand in as Secretary, Treasurer and so on. This could then go forward as an organisation to maintain the memorial, and act as a forum and voice for the families and other interested parties if and when there is any further activity related to the wreck. There will be an opportunity to discuss further when we meet in Tallinn.

As a first step, please let me know if you wish to contribute.

YES/NO - AMOUNT

E18 – a Maritime Military Grave

The discovery of the wreck has been recorded by the Ministry of Defence, Navy Command Heritage department. They operate a rolling programme of assessment/designation of wrecks under the Protection of Military Remains Act (PMRA) 1986, and have just finished the process for the latest (4th) batch of nine vessels, whose designations as Maritime Military Graves came into force on 1st Feb 2010. They are beginning the process of researching the candidates for the 5th batch, and E18 is being considered as part of that exercise. Once the assessment is complete, the next batch of wrecks will be designated in 2011.

When E18 is designated under the PMRA, she will have some protection in law against unauthorised diving and interference. In the meantime, a number of people have expressed concern that E18 is an easy target for looting. There is no evidence that this has taken place, but as the wreck is in relatively shallow water – 50 or 60 metres – and has been the subject of considerable media interest, it is a real possibility. The wreck is well preserved and will be seen as an extremely attractive target; the chances of being able to remove high-value items are very good. As the winter is now over and diving conditions are improving, the need to gain official protection for the wreck is becoming more urgent.

The role E18 played in the Baltic campaign and the key events happening in British, Russian and Estonian history at that time mean that E18 is of great historical significance; she is also unique as a surviving example of early submarine technology. There is also considerable public, government and international interest in these discoveries, as has been shown (albeit on a larger scale) by recent events at Fromelles.

I have no doubt that for all these reasons, E18 will be designated as a Maritime Military Grave as soon as possible. In the meantime, she needs whatever protection can be offered by the British and Estonian authorities. I am sure that now and in the future, they will do all they can to keep an eye on the site and deter any unauthorised diving.

Finding the Families

The search is still on for other families related to the crew and thanks to Navy News, Plymouth Herald, Portsmouth News, and rusnavy.com, there has been some publicity about this. As a result of the piece in the Portsmouth News, Derek White has been in touch. Derek’s grandmother was Thomas Guest’s widow, before she married Derek’s grandfather. Interestingly, Derek worked on the refurbishment of three Royal Navy Sandown-class minesweepers before they joined the Estonian Navy in Tallinn in 2007 - it is a small world.

So far we know the families of 6 out of 33 - Colson, Guest, Halahan, Landale, Powell, and Ruaux; and 2 others who were not aboard when E18 was lost – Phillips AC, and Robinson. It would would be very good to find others – even if not in time for this trip, then at least to let them know about the memorial and where we are now. Please let me know if you would like to help and “adopt” a crew member to make him your personal family search project; I will then let you have the information I have so far. The full crew list is as follows:

Chief Petty Officer Edwin Albert Taylor Bagg

Leading Seaman William George Bass

Petty Officer Frederick Clack

Sub-Lieutenant Douglas Nowell Colson DSC RNR

Stoker 1st Class Percy Duffield

Leading Telegraphist Clement Harry Edwards

Stoker 1st Class Ernest Alfred Fox

Engine Room Artificer 2nd Class Maurice Harold Fuller

Telegraphist George Gaby

Engine Room Artificer RNR James Kerr Galloway

Able Seaman Cyril Francis Godward

Leading Stoker Thomas Edwin Guest

Lieutenant-Commander Robert Crosby Halahan RN

Stoker 1st Class Albert George Hall

Leading Stoker Herbert Thomas Harris

Engine Room Artificer 3rd Class Charles William Holland

Stoker 1st Class Charles Hunt

Lieutenant Walter Luke Landale RN

Able Seaman Frank Ladbrooke Maddox

Chief Telegraphist Fyodor Nikolaevich Markovsky

Stoker 1st Class Percy James Peter Nye

Signalman Ivan Yefimovich Pantyukhov

Leading Stoker James Reuben Percy

Leading Stoker Arthur Percy Phillips

Lieutenant Vasiliy Mikhailovich Polykarpov

Able Seaman William George Powell

Able Seaman Horace Edward Pritchett

Leading Seaman Ernest William Ruaux

Chief Stoker Samuel Arthur Sheppard

Engine Room Artificer 1st Class William Chadwick Spencer

Petty Officer Charles William Turall

Able Seaman Sydney Augustus Welsh

Leading Seaman Frederick White

Rest In Peace.

Thank You

Everyone receiving this has played a part in making the memorial weekend possible through their interest, support and participation. Particular thanks must go to Darren Brown for setting us off on this journey in the first place, and to Mart Murusalu at the British Embassy in Tallinn; but you have all done your bit, so many thanks all:

Dene Angland

Eeva Beres

Mrs M Biskup

Darren Brown

Evgeny Bulavintsev

Peter Carter

Sean Carter

Robin Colson

Debbie Corner

Dudley Davenport

Guy Davenport

Mary Davenport

Tom Davenport

Carl Douglas

Urmas Dresen

Barbara Finch

James Francis

Imogen Gosling

Maxwell Halahan

David Hamid

Matt Hayes

Keith Hoffmeister

Marian Hoffmeister

Robert Howell

Matthew Hyde

Sergey Ignatenko

Matt Jackson

David Joyce

Linda Joyce

Richard Joyce

Igor Kozir

Roman Kuraksa

Igor Kurdin

Taavi Laanepere

James Landale

Lionel MacDonald

George Malcolmson

Janet Mason

Vello Mäss

Jeremy Mathers

Amanda McKelvie

Jim McMaster

Mart Murasulu

Trevor Muston

Kadri Napritson

Tristan Nichols

Audrey Page

Norah Page

Gustav Piir

Vic Powell

Jill Rees

Lennely Saar

Crispin Sadler

Igor Schvede

Tony Scott

Jeff Tall

Katrin Tammar

Roddy Urquart

Ian Walkden

Ian Watts

Derek White

Please forward this email to anyone not named above who may be interested. If they get in touch, I will add them to the distribution list for the next edition.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

for those who have followed this story via this thread, which in itself is a credit to this forum, today is a very special day for the 33 men who never returned and are still on patrol. At 1200 hrs local Tallinn time a service will be held in the Holy Spirit church honouring the crew and the unveiling of a plaque with the 33 men, including for the first time, the three Russians. The Royal Navy has sent out their own Chaplin, and what a wonderful chap he is, also the wife of the British Military Attaché and their Estonian counterparts have been with us every step.

Carl Douglas who found the wreck, and is a very busy man, arrived last night and gave a personal presentation to all the families currently here on his work, I have never seen a group of people so thankful and in awe of the work he does. The Russian submarine association has also sent an ex Nuclear Submarine Commander & translator from St Petersburg, little did we know it had been arranged by the British to bring some RN Rum, and the Russians also brought their naval Vodka. So many toasts were had to the brave British & Russians who gave their lives on E18. Today the church is expected to be full, and for the families here it has been thus far such a fulfilling event which has taken 94 years to get some sort of closure.

Will let you know how it goes.

Below is a photo in the church showing E18's plaque currently covered up on the left.

Cheers DB.

post-21377-1275194845.jpg

Hi All,

the new memorial in Tallinn now unveiled. Wonderful day for the families, and the Russian ex submariners all turned up for what a truly moving occasion.

DB.

post-21377-1275229613.jpg

Hi Darren

Thanks for photos , just sorry i could not be there .

Colin

Hi All,

Well it seems very fitting that I am posting this today, on the 94th anniversary of the loss of E18. This weekend in Tallinn saw the culmination of the work of three great people, Darren Brown, Carl Douglas and Robert Davenport.

These three people are the reason we now have the splendid memorial to the memory of E18's crew British and Russian combined. If it was not for Darren's tireless research Carl would have spent years trying to find the wreck (and I'm sure he would have) If it was not for Carl's passion for finding the wreck we may have had to wait for years for someone to find the wreck and if it was not for Robert's great organiastional skills this last weekend would never have happened.

The service on Sunday was a very emotional time for me and I am sure the other families, I now feel that we are all part of one family.

Well I will be raising a glass of rum this evening and toasting the memory of my Great Grandfather and the crew of E18, the three people that made this weekend happen and the now large family of E18 and look forward to a planned return to Tallinn in 2016 for the 100th year.

Cheers

Vic Powell

post-33017-1275505614.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Vic,

I'm having another crack at finding the truth out as to whether the E18 ratings did in fact get the Cross of St George, I would love to know if your great grand father did get a 3rd Cross. I have followed up the offer from Captain of the 1st Rank Igor Kurdin who represented the Russians at the memorial. He sent me photos of himself & the Duke of York! Igor has agreed to help and has put someone onto the case in St Petersburg. As he is so well know and of such high rank in the Russian submarine service, i guess he will get the job done. Have also asked for E9's April 1915 list which i don't have.

I have also asked for E13's medal list as ihave been told they did in fact get the Cross.

In Kew the other day i ordered some documents from the Med, and found some Baltic items hiding in there, of which there was a sick bay list for 1916, now i know the real reason my great grandfather was not onboard her when she sailed. It also seems that after E18 went missing the sick bay was full of men saying they were sick.

Cheers DB.

• 1 month later...

Hi Darren,

Sorry that we could not catch up whilst you were over in the UK but maybe next time. The news that you are making progress is great and that with the help of our Russian friends may have an answer to the the crews medal question at last.

Cheers

Vic

Hi Vic,

info is coming through from St Petersburg, now have notes the Russians did agree to give E13 men killed the Cross & those that survived the St George Medal. Brian Head also told me he met a relo killed on E13 that had the actual medal as i had lunch with Brian recently. He is writing a book on E13 so i'm helping where i can.

So their achives opens and closes, so waiting for the next batch, their expert does think E18's men would have also got the cross, he will try & sniff out for me soon.

Some really good stuff coming though.

Maybe back in London before the years out.

DB

• 4 months later...

Hi Vic/Colin,

here is a reply from my Russian contacts in St Petersburg re E18 Cross of St Georges.I guess this can only be solved by a relative saying they have got a Cross, but so many have come forward now and none have one, so it is looking unlikely at this stage.

> I haven't found this document, unfortunately. In the book "British

> submarines in the Baltic Fleet. 1914-1918" by D.Kozlov author mentioned

> that E-18 crewman got St George crosses (but he didn't indicate sources).

> In my turn I remember that this proposal discussed between the CIC Baltic

> fleet and Naval General Staff but I'm not sure that it had been realized.

> In the CIC Baltic Fleet orders book for 1916 this document is absent. The

> next book for 1917 is absent too.

• 8 months later...
  • 7 months later...
Guest ONeill

Hi Mary

Yes this is Arthur Percy Phillips that i am researching , and i am more than happy

to share my research with you .give me a few days as i am away from my records,

I purchased his medals some years ago.they came with his Brothers pair and two

Photos of his brother and his wife and child + group of wounded men on a hospital

steps his brother was in the RE, i think he servived the War.

I do not have to much info on Arthur,mostly on the Submarine, if you could spare a Photo

of the War Memorial that would be great.

Colin B laugh.gif

Guest ONeill

Have just joined today and have been trying to research living relatives for members

of the E18 crew, one of whom was my grandfather. Have just researched Arthur

Percy Phillips and would be grateful if you have any info re the medals or those

of his brother or any other info re him. Have managed to trace a living nephew.

thankssmile.gif

Hi Mary

Yes this is Arthur Percy Phillips that i am researching , and i am more than happy

to share my research with you .give me a few days as i am away from my records,

I purchased his medals some years ago.they came with his Brothers pair and two

Photos of his brother and his wife and child + group of wounded men on a hospital

steps his brother was in the RE, i think he servived the War.

I do not have to much info on Arthur,mostly on the Submarine, if you could spare a Photo

of the War Memorial that would be great.

Colin B laugh.gif

• 1 year later...

For those interested I received this email from the Estonian Maritime Museum, see larger text below, gives me a little concern that once a location is know the word spreads a wreck is then under threat. E18 would be a magnet for unscrupulous thieves, she is the best preserved E Class submarine from WW1, her wooden aerials, ropes, and canvas screen are all still there, the conditions of the Baltic have preserved her well. The Swedes found her in October 2009, this then set in place a diplomatic row, the Estonians were angry that although E18 was a few miles outside of their territorial waters, it is in their economic zone whereby they believe the Swedes should be asking permission to carry out any commercial work, the Swedes do not follow this thought train but have yet to revisit the wreck to document it properly with photo & film. It has been set in motion that E18 be a declared off limits war grave, but I am not sure where that situation is right now. I know some members from this forum may have some contacts, so if this can be pursued the families of E18 would be most grateful to know.

"The wreck of E18 was located by a research vessel of the Estonian Administration half a year ago. A Group of Navy Divers have dived the wreck but hobby divers have no access to this place."

Hello Colin. Interested to see this E.18 Thread & the list of crew lost. Please see here Submarine Service of Coxswain (I presume re his rank) ;

BAGG EDWIN ALBERT CPO P/ 177854 NE RN SM E.18 11.06.16 Z 38 280278 F

PORTSMOUTH 11 PORTSMOUTH 3 - 183

Son of John and Mildred Bagg, of Ember Court, East Molesley, Surrey ; husband of Ethel M. Bagg, of 4 Victoria Place, Gosport, Hants.Killed in loss of vessel in the Baltic.

HMS MAIDSTONE. ADM 188 / 293. AG 568 / 16.P.o.B ; Thames Ditton, Surrey. Occ ; Servant.

THAMES 040329

MERCURY 060517

THAMES 070222

GENERAL SERVICE 090926

BONAVENTURE 110131

ARROGANT 111021

BONAVENTURE 111022

ARROGANT 120121

BONAVENTURE 120427

MAIDSTONE 121015

ADAMANT 140401

MAIDSTONE 150401

DOLPHIN 150426

MAIDSTONE 150627

DD 160611 E18

If of interest I may have more such on the other members of the crew.

Sadsac

• 2 months later...

Hi Sadsac and Darren

Thanks for the info , it is sad that people know of Her position and are diving on Her I'm sure it was only a matter of time .

I am still looking for the illusive answer to the question of did the Tsar award the Cross of St George or even the Medal of St George

To the Crew posthumously ? . I know it is mentioned in the book "Baltic Assignment" but I can not find any over mention ,any other

thoughts . I have seen the Halahan Group of Medals and they HAVE a Cross of St George and this was not added by present owner .

Best

Colin

Hi Colin,

in regards to your question did the Tsar award the Cross of St George or even the Medal of St George To the Crew posthumously?

​I have found everything was approved by the Russian Admirals at the time, but the revolutionary events were nearing and they never got around to handing the medals out. The 3 British Officer's got theirs for sure, that is 100%, but the crew did not, the Russians still need to hand them out. It is a shame really as Powell, who had won the 4th & 3rd Cross while serving with Horton in E9 would have got the 2nd Class for losing his life in E18. Does anyone know of a British Naval Rating awarded 3 Cross of St George's? In the current climate i can not see us getting anywhere with doing something for the 100 years of E18's loss, but stranger things have happened.

We know so many families of her crew now & no one has a Cross, E13 though we know her dead crew did get the Cross while the survivors got the St George Medal, so as a rule E18 should have received them for sure..

Hi Darren

That is good to know that they were recognised for their sacrifice just a pity that they never received the Awards , looks like the Russians are a little to busy at present to worry about presenting Awards from almost 100 Yrs ago . Powell Medal group would be a really desirable

Find in anyone's book . Colin

1. Hi Colin,

yes Powell getting 3 of those Russian Gongs would be very nice, & deserved. One of his E9 mates medals sold last year, his group had 2 Russian Gongs & a DSM, they pulled 30,000 Pounds. Having said that, could I sell my E18 Medals, Nope! When I cross the bar they will be on their way to the RNSM, would rather this then seeing them sold.

As a footnote for Powell, it is a funny twist that his first Gong was given to him for being in E9 when she torpedoed mud, they got all the adulations for sending their fish into the seabed, when the put the periscope up after they heard the explosion, the German torpedo boat had turned away & was out of sight, so it was a complete assumption that they sank her.

D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Vic, Colin,

here are some recent photos of E18 dived by the Estonians last year, just scroll down from link below. Vello Mass from the Estonian Maritime Museum assures me they will protect her as her location is under radar surveillance & also the close contact the Estonians have with the British families of her crew. My conclusions on her loss was based on the fact that they misjudged their last blind dead reckoning turn into Dagerort and turned too soon, into a minefield area marked on their maps. On sighting land Halahan would have known he was in the minefield and in a hopeless situation, I can also note the direction the wreck is pointing tells me he turned to the northeast to get out of the minefield when she fell. Halahan would have taken the brunt of the explosion on the conning tower as the damage is just behind the conning tower which can be seen bent over at 90 degrees.

Please not the amazing sight of her one throw wooden wireless masts preserved by the Baltic sea, (in the stowed position). Also the Ladder that was on the forward end of the conning tower lies neatly on her hull.

The E18 website was organized by Robert Daverport, his grandfather had married Halahan's widowed wife after a promise due to the fact Halahan was convinced he would not get back from the Baltic.

http://www.hmse18.org/finding-e18/4583519154