Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt Philip H H Davis,

John_Hartley

CWGC database records Davis' unit as 3/Manchester - the reserve battalion which never left the UK.

He was actually serving with 9/Manc at time of death.

A copy of the war diary is winging its way to Terry D as evidence for a submission to the Commission.

John

I see your man DOW 9/11/18, JH. One empathises with his wife who probably heard of his death after hearing of the armistice. What a cruel blow that would be? Phil B

Indeed, Phil.

They had married in the early part of 1918 whilst Davis was still in training. He went off to officer training at the end of April joining the Battalion towards the end of August.

Somewhere in my current batch of researchees, I've got the account of a street in Stockport being in the middle its Armistice celebrations when the postman arrived with news of a DoW. Bunting was up, Robinsons Best Bitter was presumably flowing, etc. Particularly poignant as they had been celebrating that the street had come through the whole war without a single fatality. Life's a so-and-so, isn't it.

Somewhere in my current batch of researchees, I've got the account of a street in Stockport being in the middle its Armistice celebrations when the postman arrived with news of a DoW. Bunting was up, Robinsons Best Bitter was presumably flowing, etc. Particularly poignant as they had been celebrating that the street had come through the whole war without a single fatality. Life's a so-and-so, isn't it.

Now that is sad and a real shame, really gets to you sometimes.

Andy