Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Week

tanks3

• 2 weeks later...

Being an artist I regularly have to paint war vehicles, but tanks are by far my favourite, especially the older models.

Although I am loving the fact that a 'female' tank is merely for presentation - much like myself!

Being an artist I regularly have to paint war vehicles, but tanks are by far my favourite, especially the older models.

Although I am loving the fact that a 'female' tank is merely for presentation - much like myself!

Rebecca

Both Male tanks and female tanks were operational fighting tanks. It is fair to say that the vast majority of presentation tanks were female but some were male (for example Paisley's was I believe male). Here is what the extensive library says about male tanks http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_tank and there is a link to the female tank entry.

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I am not a military historian but today revisited an old B&W photograph in the family album because it was taken in a historic square that used to host Fayres in Swindon.  The area has been allowed to decay and the Corn Exchange building and Locarno Ballroom will probably have to be totally demolished. It is still known as The Square, Old Town,

Anyway, that as a background the photograph shows a Tank (113) outside of a grand house (now demolished) surrounded by a crowd of people - I believe it must have been taken circa May 1918.

I am not aware of any other photographs of this Tank in Swindon but always keen to find out the history surrounding the event.

If anyone wants to use this photograph I would just ask for acknowledgement of its source.

10-27-2007-21-33-44-483.jpg

What a great photograph Andrew, that you for sharing it.  Does that building still exist? 

JUST FOUND THIS ON INTERNET

In May 1918, a special Tank Week was set up ­ partly so that Swindon could marvel at the new invention that it was hoped would turn the tide of the war, but also so that townsfolk could be persuaded to part with even more money to finance more tanks. 

Swindon Soldiers during WW1
Paid for by Swindon:
tank 'Julian' on display in Regent Circus

HM Tank No 113, named 'Julian', was the centre of attention in the Market Square in Old Town and the mayor kicked off the fund with a donation of £50.

'Huge crowds lined the streets to watch Julian's progress to the Town Hall' which included smashing its way through a barrier of sandbags and wire which had been put in its path. Children were allowed to 'peep into the mysterious interior' if they bought a War Savings Certificate.

Andrew

Fabulous photo.  Would you be willing to send to me a higher resolution copy of it if I were to PM you my email address?

Thanks

Tanks3

Thank you for generously sharing the photo Andrew.  I agree that this is May 1918 but I don't have an exact date.  However from 27 May onwards this tank was in south Wales.  It is a Mark IV Male by the way, serial number 4005 which tells us it was one of 100 built by Armstrong Whitworth in Gateshead.  One of their tanks survives at the Army Museum in Brussels.

Gwyn  

I'm preparing an exhibition for Wiltshire at War which includes an item on war savings. Information about Swindon (which seems to be the only Wiltshire town that was part of the official Tank Bank tours - Salisbury arranged for tank 211 to be present 4-9 March 1918 but it was then shipped from a 'southern port'.):

In May 1918 H.M. Tank No 113 named 'Julian' was the centre of attention in the Market Square, Swindon Old Town where the Mayor kicked off the fund with a donation of £50. Huge crowds lined the streets to watch Julian's progress to the Town Hall which included smashing its way through a barrier of sandbags and wire which had been put in its path. Children were allowed to peep into the mysterious interior if they bought a War Savings Certificate.

Charles

Julian Regent Circus May 1918.jpg