Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Week

tanks3

My notes give the following (note: any confirmations or otherwise, with sources, welcome):

26 November 1917: Trafalgar Sq., London

5 December: Trafalgar Sq.

10 December: Sheffield

17 December: Leeds

31 December: Bradford

7 January 1918: Hull

Gwyn

Delta,

My notes for Nelson show:

Nelson Trafalgar Square London 08-Dec-17 8-Dec-1917

Nelson Sheffield 10-Dec-1917 16-Dec-1917

Nelson Leeds 17-Dec-1917 22-Dec-1917

Nelson Huddersfield 1918

Nelson Bradford 31-Dec-1917

Nelson Sunderland 19-Jan-1918 25-Jan-1918

Nelson West Hartlepool 4-Feb-1918 9-Feb-1918

Nelson York 11-Feb-1918 17-Feb-1918

Hope that helps

Tanks3

• 4 months later...

I wonder if anyone knows the location of Nelson in these photos? I tried all the Town Halls in the locations mentioned but none match

f5d1.jpg

9sup.jpg

MKenny

Not 100% sure but the bottom picture looks like Hull to me. Can't say when it was there though. If you should find that out do let me know

Tanks3

Cracked it!

I have spent a whole day Googling the street views of all the town halls mentioned for Nelson and then getting historic photos of those that have been demolished. The original captions state the photo was taken in West Hartlepool but I know for sure it was not. Anyway just on the off-chance I decided to try a local town not mentioned-Middlesbrough.

Check out the background building. The building to the left of Nelson is no longer there.

c71y.jpg

mbtuz.jpg

MKenny

This is interesting because I have Nelson in West Hartlepool between 4th - 9th February 1918 with Egbert at Middlesborough in April 1918. It would be interesting if you could tie your photo down with dates.

Tanks3

just found this thread Egbert was in Preston 'Tank Week' in Preston was 21st to 28th January 1918 4125393002_5f33a8d2d5_z.jpg?zz=1

MKenny

This is interesting because I have Nelson in West Hartlepool between 4th - 9th February 1918 with Egbert at Middlesborough in April 1918. It would be interesting if you could tie your photo down with dates.

Tanks3

The Northern Daily Mail has Nelson in WH in April

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/news/nostalgia/memories-of-egbert-the-tank-of-our-town-1-5812430

On February 4, 1918, Hartlepool was given a taste of what its prize could be when a tank called Nelson was brought to town. In fact, Nelson went on tour from town to town to raise money.

It was touring the country, getting towns to come up with money for the war effort.

Town mayor, Councillor William Edgar, gave a speech that day. He said: Nelson was at Middlesbrough a fortnight ago and realised a sum of £1.9m, a rate of about £15 per head of the population.

Don't confuse Hartlepool and West Hartlepool

All the touring tanks went on tour

Here is the location in use, just prior to demolition and in a 1932 air view with position of Nelson marked in red. Middlesbrough Exchange Building.

hswr.jpg

3myf.jpg

ut0z.png

The modern description is Hartlepool. They amalgamated in the 1960's. The Mail just says 'Hartlepool' but in fact it meant West Hartlepool. As far as I am aware 'Old' Hartlepool never recieved a visit from a tank of any kind.

All these photos taken at The Armoury West Hartlepool which is today the site of the War Memorial in Victoria Road

ab5x.jpg

xd82.jpg

y9kz.jpg

7zdvk.jpg

pk10i.jpg

So let me get this straight. I am correct in saying Nelson was in West Hartlepool 4th - 9th February and now understand Nelson was in Middlesborough a fortnight earlier ie 14th January (thank you Gwyn). Centurion, from what you are saying Nelson seems to have visited West Hartlepool again in April whilst in the same month Egbert went to Middlesborough. Gets confusing but I think that's right

Tanks3

1st pic Nelson in Trafalgar Square. Sticker on upper rear of sponson.

2nd pic Nelson in Middlesbrough sticker on upper rear of sponson

3rd pic Nelson in West Hartlepool sticker appears to have been removed.

4th pic Nelson in Norwich. No trace of sticker.

tyzbe.jpg

em0p0.jpg

gmps.jpg

hiet.jpg

The book ' The Hartlepool's In The Great War' by F Miller has several pages on the various fundraising campaigns and there are no other tank visits mentioned between Nelson in Feb 1918 and the arrival of Egbert. One 'Business Mens Week' March 4-9. Another raised 315,000 for 2 Destroyers. A 'War Weapons Week' July 15-20 that raised enough for 2 tanks. Then a 'Special Guns Week' where it was promised if they raised a million Pounds they would get Egbert. They got 1,617,286!

• 1 month later...

McKenny

Can you clarify if Hartlepool ever received a presentation or trophy tank? I know west Hartlepool received Egbert and that Hartlepool never received a visit from a touring tank but would like to know did Hartlepool ever get a tank

Tanks3

From the log book of St Patrick's school Huddersfield:

1918 Feb 21 Half holiday for “tank visit”

Feb 22 Mr Devine visited the school accompanied by Corporal Brandon from the Tank. The visitors heard the children sing and Cpl Brandon gave them a short address

• 1 month later...

McKenny

Can you clarify if Hartlepool ever received a presentation or trophy tank? I know west Hartlepool received Egbert and that Hartlepool never received a visit from a touring tank but would like to know did Hartlepool ever get a tank

Tanks3

No tank visited or was presented to Hartlepool. Only to West Hartlepool.

Great Pics! Amazing how anything, everything that was once absolutely cutting edge becomes camp.