Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt P B Shute RE

Fedelmar

I am busy photographing in Karrakatta Cemetery Western Australia and came across this man's headstone.

Hopefully it will end up in the right place :)

Bright Blessings

Sandra

post-11785-1176111669.jpg

I suspect that he is a kinsman of Neville Shute, the author.

In looking I found that he was involved in Mining at La Boisselle, on the Western Front, as Lt P B Shute:

"La Boisselle November 1915

[Mining Report by Lt PB Shute 185 Coy]. L Gallery. Work in this gallery has been stopped to rearrange air apparatus and refix fan. total length driven 266’ ..."

Interestingly, and fitting in with another thread. On 13th November 1915:

"[3rd Army Routine Orders [now Allenby] allowance of gum boots increased to 50 pairs per tunnelling coy]"

Source: http://freespace.virgin.net/simon.jones87/...ology191511.htm

Sandra

Many thanks indeed. I have a lot of info on Percy Shute as he is one of the tunnellers featuring in my La Boisselle book but I did not have a record of his death so am very excited about this! I am off out tonight but will post a biog tomorrow.

regards

Simon

WOW!!

I am so pleased ... and glad I find it hard to walk past the headstone of a soldier from other countries :)

His headstone is interesting for two reason, firstly he has an interesting career and second, because its not the usual type of headstone that we see here. It stuck out like a sore thumb.

I will make a note to see what is in the newspapers the next time I go into the library ... which wont be for a few weeks yet.

If you send me a PM with your email address I will forward over the original photograph :)

Having said that I have a couple of other soldiers I will need to to fish out and put up.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Sandra

I have put together some biographical details of Percy Burgess Shute. I have not found any descendants as yet but have quite a lot of information.

25/1/1890 born. Father Percy Gay Shute, Financial Secretary, with Rylands Ltd, Manchester. Address in 1918 Willow Bank, Urmston.

Attended Urmston Higher Grade School and possibly Stand Grammar School, Manchester University, member of OTC.

9/7/1910 arrived Canada, Québec Ports. Worked as railway engineer in Canada with Canadian Pacific Railway & others, also works as a farmer in Canada, cowboy and ranch hand.

3/1913 travelled from Victoria, British Columbia to Berkeley, California.

11/8/14 returned to UK and joined Royal Engineers served as 2nd Cpl, 70th Field Company.

18/8/14 application for temporary commission. Ht 6’ 1 ½ “, chest 40, dentures, physique VG.

13/11/14 Commissioned temporary second lieutenant 11/N Staffs

5/6/15 gazetted Lt

18/8/15 to France, att 2/ Border Regiment.

14/10/15 seconded to 185th Tunnelling Company, RE.

March – April 1916 in UK haemorrhoid operation.

Back in France by 5/6/1916.

20/8/16 injured in motorcycle accident.

11/9/16 to UK on leave, reports sick with synovitis from accident.

4/12/16 found fit.

23/8/17 again injured motorcycle accident in France, to UK

15/4/18 embarks troopship for India as probationer Indian Army.

12/5/1918 admitted to Indian Army on probation Lt RE, to rank from 13/8/1916.

26/8/1918 - 4/10/1918 & 16/2/1919- 15/9/1919 A/Capt while commanding a Coy, 128th Pioneers.

15/11/19 marries

12/11/1919 relinquishes commission temp Lt RE on appointment to Indian Army Reserve of Officers. To be temp Lt, General List on probation, with seniority from 5/6/1915. To be temp Capt IARO to rank from 13/11/1918.

18/4/1920 applies for Regular commission at Landi Kotal NWFF.

While with 185th Tunnelling Company he was Adjutant for 6 months and wrote the War Diary. He was typical of the more boisterous officers with the tunnellers. The unpublished diary of Captain Edward Lyall serving with 185th Tunnelling Company frequently records his irritation with Shute’s noisy antics in the mess. The history of 185th Tunnelling Company The Life of a Tunnelling Company records (p47) his accompanying the gramophone:

"Shute would set us all off in a chorus and we’d shout ourselves hoarse. Shute was sometimes quite versatile in a robust way. When in the mood and with very little accompaniment he’d entertain us with some clog steps or one of his Canadian backwoods songs, “Down in the Valley,“ etc."

He also took part in a looting expedition in Albert in January 1916 which, with later looting in Arras, Shute as Adjutant attempted to cover up but which led to the temporary arrest of the company commander. This story is told in part in chapter 12 of Alexander Barrie’s War Underground.

I can’t trace him recorded in the GRO Army or Consular death indices, or a record of his marriage. I would be very interested if you find anything in the newspapers, especially if they give family details.

regards

Simon

Thanks for that information :)

Not sure of the relationship (if any) between Percy Shute and Neville Shute. Specifically because 'Neville Shute' was the pen name for Neville Shute NORWAY. If there is, it will be a 'feather in the cap' of this man's history.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

• 8 months later...

Finally got around to getting the newspaper details on Shute. The quality of the macro's are not very good though so can't reduce them to upload. If you contact me I will forward these on to you.

Bright Blessings

Sandra

• 5 years later...

This is to let you know that thes gravestone now has a sign on it indicating that it is will soon be removed.
Someone needs to make a submission to the Karrakatta Cemetery authority for the heastone to be retained insitu.

http://www2.mcb.wa.gov.au/NameSearch/details.php?id=KB00046339

• 3 years later...

This is to let people know that this section has been renewed.  I do hope that someone made a submission regarding this man's headstone so that it remained in place.

I have not been to Karrakatta very much over the last 8 years as I have moved further away.

When I am up there next I will have a look.  In the meantime, someone might like to contact the cemetery and ask them.

Bright Blessings

Sandra