Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

St Yvon, Plugstreet

Terry Carter

On Saturday 13 December I attended the unveiling of the Memorial Plaque dedicated to Bruce Bairnsfather at the site of former billet at the cottage in St Yvon, Plugsreet. This is where he first drew his cartoons on the wall of the cottage.

All organised by Major Toni Holt and his wife Valmai. From start to finish at the 8pm ceremony at the Menin Gate when there must have been a thousand or more people turn up on an extremely wet and windy night. It was a brilliant day.

The Khaki Chums led by Taff Gillingham were in attendance and afterwards two guys from the 'City Bats' Great War Living History Group stood on guard either side of the plaque.

Regards

Terry

post-4-1071502940.jpg

I was very interested to see the pictures of the unveiling of the plaque. My great-uncle, John Hone, was a member of 1st Royal Warwicks throughout the war. It was good to see some antelopes on parade at the ceremony!

Fantastic. Good to see those pics Terry.

Shame the whole event wasn't organised as well as hoped - see previous thread

http://www.1914-1918.org/forum/index.php?s...t=0entry55156

Ryan

I have not been able to attend the ceremony in Plugstreet (due to a serious cold) but Ihave been lucky to welcome to Khaki Chums on our farm as well as a group of Bruce Bairnsfather enthousiast. Mark Warby, editor of the Bruce Bairnsfather newsletter, brougt a copy of "The better ole" to our farm, where it has been shown to a group of interested people.

Local television came to the farm to make a small report on the Chums, which I have taped for them. A nice souvenir of a marvellous (but very busy weekend).

Charlotte

The Holts gave a very interesting talk and slideshow concerning Bairnsfather at the Cloth Hall at 6 pm on Saturday evening. One of the slides shown was taken from a photograph from inside the cottage during the mid-1915 period. A similar drawing appears in Bairnsfather's book Bullets and Billets.

Terry

Below is the actual picture from the cottage wall which Bairnsfather must have drawn for the Christmas 1914 period when he was also involved in the Christmas Day Truce.

post-4-1071562528.jpg

I think these photos are tremendous. And the crowds at the Menin Gate!

Perhaps they should be published somewhere outside this Forum.

I have published Terrys photos (with his permission) on my website to give them and the memorial a wider audience.

Cheers

Ryan