Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French Intelligence Archives WWI and 1920s

Doc2

I am trying to research an individual whom I believe to have worked for French Military Intelligence during WWI (Italian Front) and in North Africa during the 1920s. Does anyone know where there might be located any French archives on this subject, and if so are they acccessible for research? Thanks. Doc2

I don't know about these particular records, but French servicemen's records are sealed for 100 years, probably a fair chance these are as well.

I am trying to research an individual whom I believe to have worked for French Military Intelligence during WWI (Italian Front) and in North Africa during the 1920s. Does anyone know where there might be located any French archives on this subject, and if so are they acccessible for research? Thanks. Doc2

I read somewhere that the Gestapo removed many of these files as some of them dealt with the interogation of German prisoners and deserters. Apparently the deserters were often "visited" by the Gestapo and accused of betraying their country.

The records left by the intelligence services of divisions, army corps, armies can often be found in the record collections pertaining to those formations. These are kept by Service Historique de la Défense at the Château de Vincennes just east of Paris.

Here is there website: http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defense.g...teur/guide3.htm

Douglas Porch has done quite a bit of work in these archives. It thus might be helpful to look through the bibliographies of his recent scholarly (i.e. with footnotes) works.

The records left by the intelligence services of divisions, army corps, armies can often be found in the record collections pertaining to those formations. These are kept by Service Historique de la Défense at the Château de Vincennes just east of Paris.

Here is there website: http://www.servicehistorique.sga.defense.g...teur/guide3.htm

Douglas Porch has done quite a bit of work in these archives. It thus might be helpful to look through the bibliographies of his recent scholarly (i.e. with footnotes) works.

Thanks to all for the information. That will at least give me a place to start. Doc2