Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reported at wrong place! An Engineer instead of an infantryman?

Sybil

Spr. George Hillier Emm, original number 787 joined the Wessex Division RE's in Bath, Somerset on 6th August 1914. Previous to this he had been a Territorial. He actually found himself at the Royal Engineers recruitment office by mistake! - but was snatched up because he was a saddler by trade.

I assume that, since war had not yet been declared, he had been called to report to his Territorial Regiment. I don't know what that regiment was - perhaps it was the Somerset Light Infantry.

I would like to find some records of the pre-war Territorials in that area. Does anyone know if they exist?

I also assume that since he joined up anyway there would be no come-back for not reporting in the proper place !

Nancy (2Ms)

papers pre 1913 are held at the NA

Nancy,

Not really sure what you're getting at here, but if his number was 787 and he served with the Wessex Divisional Engineers, then he's a Territorial!!! The Wessex Divisional Engineers were actually made up of Royal Engineer Territorial units, not regulars. The pre-war Territorial units were;-

1st(Wessex)Field Company, R.E.(T.F.) - H.Q., The Drill Hall, Upper Bristol Road, Bath.

2nd(Wessex)Field Company, R.E.(T.F.) - H.Q., Churchill Road, Weston-super-Mare.

Graham.

Thankyou Coldsteamer and Graham for your replies.

First, I hang my head in shame - war HAD been declared by 6 August of course but I still wonder whether Spr Emm went to the recruiting office of his own volition or whether he was told to report.

I know he joined the REs as a territorial on 06/08/1914 but I am interested to know which territorial regiment he trained with before the war - I suspect it was infantry.

Thank you Graham for the actual address in Bath

I shall investigate the NA as suggested.

Nancy (2Ms)