Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tapster? Coldstream Guards any idea what it means

Guest albrown

Guest albrown

Today i started to strip an old wooden chest i found in my dads shed,as the paint stripper started to work i made out the following painted onto the front of the chest.SERAL or SERAT 4 TAPSTER 1st BN Coldstream Guards ,sadly the paint stripper hads got onto the original paint but i managed to get a photo which you can faintly see the writing...can anyone help decifer what it means and roughly how old this would be ...I think once fully stripped and re finished i will repaint the lettering back on to this chest

Guest albrown
Sergt Tapster.

That was quick , it is Sergt A Tapster ,think ill see if anything comes up on nat archive files ..thank you ...any further info welcome

I have found a sergt Archibald Tapster of coldstream guards in the nat archives,but they also mention him as a 2nd lt in the lincolnshire regiment ,does this indicate a promotion and transfer during his service,also im thinking of downloading the mic and putting it with the chest ,,what do you think to this idea

Archibald Tapster was promoted to Second Lieutenant on 1st June 1917 for "services in the field".

Office,

18th July, 1917.

REGULAR FORCES.

The undermentioned Wt. and N.C.O.s to be 2nd Lts. for service in the Field: —

Linc. R.—Co. Serjt.-Maj. Archibald Tapster, from C. Gds. 1st June 1917.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

He also won the MC....

London Gazette 16-9-1918

2nd Lt. (A./Capt.) Archibald Tapster, Linc. R.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. For twenty-six hours he beat off a rapid succession of enemy attacks, personally placing a Lewis gun and a party of rifles to protect his exposed flank. He set a fine example throughout.

There wasn't a medal or two in the bottom of the box was there? :D

He was appointed as acting Captain in November 1917, whilst a Company Commander.

Linc. R.

The undermentioned to be actg. Capts. while comdg. a Co. : —

Temp. Lt. E. H. Dukes. 6 Sept. 1917 to 5 Oct. 1917.

2nd Lt. A. Tapster. 3 Nov. 1917.

Appointed as temporary Captain in March 1918.

Linc. R.

2nd Lt. (actg. Capt.) A. Tapster to be temp. Capt. 11 Mar. 1918.

Promoted to Lieutenant from Second Lieutenant (This was a permanent promotion the above were short-term war appointments) in December 1918.

The undermentioned 2nd Lts. to be Lts.: —

Linc. R.—A. Tapster, M.C. 1st Dec. 1918.

"Retired" in 1921:

Lincoln. R.—

Lt. A. Tapster, M.C., retires on ret. pay, 18th June 1921, and is granted the rank of Capt.

Left the Army completely in 1934 (Removed from Reserve of Officers)

The undermentioned having attained the age limit of liability to recall, cease to belong to the Res. of Off. : —

Lincoln R. — Capt. A. Tapster, M.C. 2nd June 1934.

Steve.

Guest albrown

Thanks for all that info steve,originally i was going to make this chest into a coffee table..Not anymore its going to be refinished to its original condition complete with repainted name and regt,Just a shame i didnt know the name was under all the gunky varnish and paint as i would have taken more care when stripping it

Interesting find. Any idea how it ended up in your dad's shed?

cheers Martin B

Guest albrown

Hello martin ,i have asked my dad and he has no idea,He used to do removals so it was possibly in the junk some people throw away when moving house.

14 star roll confirms to france 13/8/14 and entitled to a bar

• 5 months later...

Just a quick late addition to this thread, which I have only just come across.

I think that there is a fairly high chance that this Archibald Tapster may crop up in my family tree. My Gt Gt Uncle Archibald Tapster was born in Sleaford in 1883 to parents Archibald Tapster and Charlotte nee Lamb.

At the time of the 1901 census these were the only 2 Archibald Tapsters easily found in the UK. This younger one was lodging in Acton and working as a bricklayer. (His father was a builder).

His sister Annie was my Gt Grandmother and while I do have a few photos of her, none I'm afraid of Archibald.

With your permission I would like to save the photo of the chest and add it to my family file. In the meantime if anyone can offer any suggestions I will see if I can find any links between the Archibald who owned your chest and and the parents Archibald and Charlotte.

Helen

Helen ,of course you have permission to copy the photos,i also have the medal index card(copy from NA) to him as well ,i will post this on tonight for you,i havnt got any further with the chest as been busy but i do intend to finish it sometime within the next year

Helen ,of course you have permission to copy the photos,i also have the medal index card(copy from NA) to him as well ,i will post this on tonight for you,i havnt got any further with the chest as been busy but i do intend to finish it sometime within the next year

Thanks so much. There's no need to post the medal card again, I have found it on your other thread.

I was not really researching Archibald in great detail at the moment, it was his Dad I was looking at but this is fascinating. If I come across anything of relevance I will let you know so that you can add it to your collection in the chest.

Thanks again, Helen

albrown,

****Whatever you do do not repaint*** It is a sleepy untouched piece of militaria and worth more that way than artificially restored. Is the wood pine? Looks like a Victorian ? Edwardian blanket chest adapted to a military chest fit for a campaign.

Nice item.

Regards

TT

Was that a private purchase trunk? I have seen one of exactly the same design which is being sold as a tool chest, if its still there when i go back i will look at it with new eyes.

Mick

Trenchtrotter,unfortunately as in my first post ,the paint stripper got through all the paint and destroyed the writing ,i have managed to duplicate the type of font and will eventually finish the box,i have so many projects on the go its just finding the time,plus there are a few structural defects to the box which need stabilizing first,

Al

Excellent find. Could it be that this box was left in barracks when he went overseas in 1914? If so when he was promoted he would probably have disposed of it before the end of the war. Good luck with the restoration.

Gunner Bailey