Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1 More lost man or not?

Neil Clark

Dear Terry,

Herewith a list of potential problems I have on my desk. With regard to JEFFERY, I suspect it MAY also be a spelling error…

BINGHAM F.J CWGC list him as E.J BINGHAM

Private G/4710 Frank John BINGHAM. 8th Battalion, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment). Died 5th January 1917 aged 27 years. Born Ashford. Enlisted Canterbury. Resided Faversham. Youngest son of Mr George Bingham of Faversham, Kent late of Boughton. Grandson of Mr Richard Bingham of Rose Cottage, Sticketts Lane, Kingsnorth, Ashford, Kent. Husband of R Abbott (formerly Bingham) of White Hill, Selling, Faversham, Kent. Buried in the Philosophe British Cemetery, Mazingarbe, France. Grave reference II.G.6.

This man is recorded wrongly by the CWGC as being named E.J Bingham.

Frank enlisted in the Army in November 1914 shortly after the outbreak of war. At the time he enlisted he was employed at Davington Court in Faversham. He went to France with his battalion in August 1915. Frank was badly wounded in the leg during the Battle of Loos in September 1915. He returned to France in May 1916 and was killed the following January. He left a widow and one child.

The Ashford Absentee Voters List for 1918 gives –

Houghton Cottage, Kingsnorth

Private 9740 Ernest BINGHAM. 1st Battalion, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment).

Gunner William BINGHAM. 109 Battery, Royal Garrison Artillery (R.G.A).

WINSETT E.A CWGC List him as E.A WIMSETT

Private G/17987 Ernest Alfred WINSETT. 1st Battalion, Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent Regiment). Formerly (6168) Royal Sussex Regiment. Died 3rd October 1917. Born Eastwell, Ashford. Enlisted Gravesend. Resided Gravesend. Son of David and Jane Winsett of 61 Wincheap Street, Canterbury, Kent. Husband of Violet May Winsett of 90 Parrock Street, Gravesend, Kent. Ernest has no known grave. His name appears on the Tyne Cot Memorial, Zonnebeke, Belgium. Panel reference – 106 to 108.

Soldiers Died Great War spells his name WINSETT whereas CWGC spell it – WIMSETT.

1901 Census –

Ernest WINSETT

David

Jane

Graham

Ronald

On the 3rd October 1917 the 1st West Kent’s were in Ridge Wood outside Ypres. The battalion took over frontline trenches South East of Veldhoek where the battalion’s right wing touched the Menin Road. A heavy enemy bombardment started and then German soldiers massed and stormed the West Kent trenches. This attack was repulsed but as the day passed the battalion started to lose many men by accurate shellfire. The battle continued until 5th October 1917 at which time the battalion withdrew to Ridge Camp.

JEFFERY F.J No Trace CWGC

Lance Corporal Frederick J JEFFERY. 1st Battalion, Royal Munster Fusiliers. Formerly Queen’s Own (Royal West Kent Regiment). Formerly (2089) The Buffs (East Kent Regiment). Died 1st July 1918. Born Tenterden 19th April 1892. Enlisted Tenterden. Resided Tenterden. 6th Son of Mr Jeffery of New Street Cottage, Great Chart, Ashford, Kent.

The Kentish Express gave the information that Frederick had 3 brothers serving in the colours at the time of his sad demise - Arthur, Charles, Frederick.

The Ashford 1918 Absentee Voters List gives –

Mock Lane, Great Chart

Sapper 19089 Arthur Morris JEFFERY. 57th Company, Royal Engineers.

Private 27275 Jack Stanley JEFFERY. 1st Cyclists, Royal West Kent Regiment.

TYRELL J CWGC list him as TWRELL

Private L/9588 John TYRELL. 1st Battalion, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment). Died 8th June 1916. Born Biddenden. Enlisted Canterbury. Resided Herne Hill near Faversham. Buried in the Essex Farm Cemetery, Ypres, Belgium. Grave reference 11-U-15.

The Commonwealth War Grave Commission appear to have mis-spelt John’s name. They record – John TWRELL.

The regimental history shows that the 1st battalion were not engaged in fighting during June 1916. It remained in The Somme area throughout.

Many Thanks Terry

Kindest Regards

Neil

Nearly at the magic 300 - then I can cause havoc there too. It's taken me long enough, perhaps I should have concentrated placing more threads and replies on "Chit Chat" and become a General in 28 days... Ha Ha

Here is JEFFERY....

Name: JEFFERY

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Munster Fusiliers

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 01/07/1918

Service No: 15118

Additional information: Husband of Annie Jeffery, of Bell's Lane, Tenterden, Kent.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: E. 9.

Cemetery: COUIN NEW BRITISH CEMETERY

I'll look at the others. May be original transcription errors as some of them appear that way in the original registers.

Terry thanks for that.

I'm tying up a few minor problems. These were not entered on my list of definate non-comms.

I don't really know why I missed JEFFERY like that!

With regard to TWRELL, I'm in contact with his family and his name was indeed Tyrell. I will ask them to contact the commission direct.

I have a list of 50 or so men who ARE potentially lost men. If you want I would be happy to Email you with all of them. I value your advice and comments...

Neil

• 1 month later...

Hi Neil

Gravesend War Memorial in Windmill Hill Gardens, Clarence Place, Gravesend lists him as E. A. Wimsett.

And the original memorial erected in 1917 and situated in the Town Hall lists him as Ernest Alfred Winsett.

Regards

Andrew