Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bridgnorth War Memorial

wellsms

Is there any kindly soul who knows if Colin John Wyld McMichael is listed on the Bridgnorth War Memorial?

He's on the Shipston on Stour one... having been resident here when he enlisted. Sadly he died of wounds here in the UK so his story is a bit thin at present...... my entry so far reads.....

Born in early 1899 Colin was the son of Colin and Annie McMichael, of 32, High St., Bridgnorth in Shropshire.

The 1901 census shows a two-year-old Colin living at 32 High Street, Bridgnorth with his Aunt Theresa Hudson. The house features prominently in the family’s history as Colin senior’s parents lived there from the at least 1841 running a Grocery business. Colin’s grandfather, Joseph Wyld McMichael was Mayor of Bridgnorth in 1867 so the family obviously had a high standing in the community, having been in the area since at least 1779.

The 1901 census shows Colin’s parents as visitors to the Avenue Hotel in London. They are listed as Grocers working on their own account so they are obviously following the family business. There is no indication as to whether they are just visiting London, are visiting on business or working there full time.

Colin enlisted in Bridgnorth and served with the 1/14th (County of London) Battalion TF (London Scottish).

The Battalion had been in France since the 16th of September 1914. Colin went to France after the 31st of December 1915, and given his age it was probably during the summer of 1917 or later. In early 1916 the Battalion was re-allocated to the newly formed 56th (1st London) Division and from then on the London Scottish were involved in all of the major battles from The Somme to the end of the war when they fought in the ‘Passage of the Grand Honelle’ from the 5th to the 7th of November 1918.

Because Colin died of wounds in the UK on the 6th September 1918 it is not known how or when he suffered the wounds that went on to kill him. He is buried in the Bridgnorth Cemetery and is remembered on the Shipston on Stour Town Memorial.

Any info appreciated

thanks

Mike

• 2 months later...

Hi Mike,

Yes he is on the Bridgenorth Memorial. I have photos of it that I took only a few weeks ago, and will send them to you if you need them, but if so, please send me your e-mail address.

Cheers,

Steve John.

Steve

I'd be very grateful if you could tell me if 2 Lt Harry Frank Dyer, 1/6 Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment), dow 28/08/17, is listed on the Bridgnorth Memorial. He was born in Bridgnorth and attended the Grammar School. I don't need any photos.

Thanks.

Aneurin