Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Mons Battalion, 2 years hard labour

brett361975

I am researching a soldier wh owas sentenced to two years hard labour, on his military records he is stated as being in the 4th Mons Battalion yet on his medal roll it gives his battalion as the South Wales Borderers. Pardon the ignorance but are these one and the same battalion?

Also my man was wounded in Trones wood is this in the Somme area? Is Deville wood in the same area? thanks in advance

bRETT

The 4/Mons was formed from the 48th Provisional Bn at the beginning of 1917. It was manned by home service personnel mainly from the territorial force battalions of the Mons and Hereford regiments. It remained in the UK during the war.

Maybe your man was posted to the battalion whilst awaiting court martial.

Andy

Thanks Andy,

My man was released early from prison to go back to the front where he was badly wonded, posted home i think.

Thanks for the info, so there is no connection between 4th Mons and the South wales borderers?

Dont suppose you have any information on the 2/4 Royal Welsh Fusileers 1917 -1918, was this also a home service battalion, thanks in advance.

At some point during the war someone realised that hard labour was a "cop out" the front was far more challenging and dangerous than hard labour - therefore your man "was released from prison to go back to the front" which would you choose?

I like to think i would go, but i see your point, my man was sentenced to two years hard labour for shamefully casting away his arms in the presence of the enemy in 1914, was he lucky not to be shot?

I like to think i would go, but i see your point, my man was sentenced to two years hard labour for shamefully casting away his arms in the presence of the enemy in 1914, was he lucky not to be shot?

Given the conditions in 1914, I think he was given a break. He had to be sentenced "pour encourager les autres", but he was let off lightly, since he could have been shot.

Thanks Andy,

My man was released early from prison to go back to the front where he was badly wonded, posted home i think.

Thanks for the info, so there is no connection between 4th Mons and the South wales borderers?

Dont suppose you have any information on the 2/4 Royal Welsh Fusileers 1917 -1918, was this also a home service battalion, thanks in advance.

Hello Brett,

2/4th RWF were indeed a Home Service unit, being originally formed from the 4th (Denbighshire) RWF after 31 Aug 1914 at the Wrexham depot and comprising those who hadn't undertaken to serve overseas, the less fit, etc. The new unit soon moved to Aberystwyth, which was where the (53rd) Welsh Divn (TF) was having its annual camp when War broke out.

In January 1915 it was brigaded with the other second-line units of RWF in the 203rd (2/1st North Wales) Brigade, 68th (2nd Welsh) Division (TF): the numbering of the Bde. and Divn took place in August 1915. As a Divn it didn't concentrate its units until April 1915, at Northampton. In July-Aug 1915 it moved to Bedford when the 53rd Divn left there for Gallipoli. Div HQ and 203rd Brigade remained at Bedford during 1916 when other units were spread out as far as the East coast.

In May 1917 the 68th Div was attached to Northern Army, Home Forces and the summer station of 203rd Brigade became Halesworth, Suffolk. Its Winter quarters in 1917-18 became Yarmouth. During that winter, however, the infantry units were extensively remodelled and the Divn lost its TF status, the second line units being gradually replaced by Graduated Battalions. For example, by December 1917 the 203rd Brigade comprised the 2/4th RWF, and the 51st Welsh, 51st Manchester, and 52nd Manchester (Graduated bns). By April 1918 the Brigade had added the 51st Kings (G). Its Spring 1918 quarters were at Benacre ParK and Herringfleet; it was still at the latter place when the war ended.

In March 1918 2/4th RWF was disbanded and disappeared from the Divisional order of battle.

Hope this helps.

LST_164