Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Navy HMS Good Hope

Gordon Caldecott

Hi Gents/Ladies,

I recently discovered that I had a relative who was killed during the Great War. To start with all I had was his surname. We think we may have narrowed it down to this guy....

ASHURST, JAMES

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

Unit Text: (RFR/PO/B/4246). H.M.S. "Good Hope."

Date of Death: 01/11/1914

Service No: SS/102939

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 4.

Does the RN have a similar thing to the soldiers died that could let me where he was born & enlisted? Or indeed how old he was. Anything in addition to the above would be a great help.

Can anyone help with this request?

Many thanks in advance,

Gordon.

post-2587-1175517351.gif

Guest geoff501

Download his service record from the NA (£3.50) should give time and place of birth, next of kin and enlistment date.

Hi Gents/Ladies,

I recently discovered that I had a relative who was killed during the Great War. To start with all I had was his surname. We think we may have narrowed it down to this guy....

ASHURST, JAMES

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Navy

Unit Text: (RFR/PO/B/4246). H.M.S. "Good Hope."

Date of Death: 01/11/1914

Service No: SS/102939

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 4.

Does the RN have a similar thing to the soldiers died that could let me where he was born & enlisted? Or indeed how old he was. Anything in addition to the above would be a great help.

Can anyone help with this request?

Many thanks in advance,

Gordon.

Gordon,

There is a record here: -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalog...TREF=adm242%2F7

ADM 242/7 War graves roll: A - C 1914-1919

which records the CWGC details as well as DOB, NOK and also a general cause of death. It is an original document at Kew.

Also "Cross of Sacrifice" Volume 2 or 4 will record similar details.

Try the question in the Ships and Navies section, someone may have access to the Cross of Sacrifice volumes.

Regards

Hugh

Also "Cross of Sacrifice" Volume 2 or 4 will record similar details.

I have Volume 2, which is Officers, so it's Volume 4 that is needed, but unfortunately I don't have that one.

Presumably Gordon knows that Good Hope was sunk by Graf Spee's squadron at the Battle of Coronel. A search on 'Coronel' in the forum archives should bring up a good number of previous threads about the battle.

Mick

Cross of Sacrifice IV only gives what is already in Gordon's first (CWGC?) posting, except that he did not include that this man is commemorated on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial. GOOD HOPE was blown to bits by a magazine explosion. There were no survivors.

Cheers Guys, thats all of great help. I was very interested in the fact that the crew was all reservists, that certianly fits the evidence. Will post any of my finds here. Thanks again for all your help.

Guest geoff501
I was very interested in the fact that the crew was all reservists

Not all. He said mostly. One of my village lads was lost on HMS Good Hope. He had signed up for 12 years at age 16 and was on his maiden voyage age 18 at the start of his 12 year term. There is a very good website on Good Hope, don't have the URL but a Google on battle of Coronel should find it.

HMS Good Hope was Third Fleet so 80-90% of the crew would be Reserves called up originally for manouvers then mobilized.

Regards Charles

Thanks again guys, either way it fits the evidence as my relative was in his 40`s when he was killed, and was a leading stoker, so this would suggest that he was a reservists?

post-2587-1175588368.jpg

Gordon,

His official number was SS/102939 but the notation RFR/PO[rtsmouth]/B/4264 is his number in the Royal Fleet Reserve to which he had been discharged after (probably) 5 years active service. He was, therefore, an RFR man recalled for the war.

Is the date of birth incorrect? If it isn't then this man was 26 when he died. He joined in 1906, his 18th year, and probably served until 1911, when he joined the reserves.

He was an experienced stoker and Good Hope was held new for him to learn, but he was not a Leading Stoker according to the CWGC listing.

Hi Guys, many thanks for all your replies. Basically, I discovered at Christmas that my Great Grandfather had a brother who was killed during the war. Sadly no one can remember what his name was!!!! All I have to go in is his surname Ashurst. At first I was told that it was a younger brother, but that has since proved incorrect as Charlie his younnger brother was still around after the war, as people remembered him staying with them, as children!!! So then it was thought that it was a an elder brother, but none of the CWGC dead, are related to me, or the information given doesn`t fit. The guy who wnet down with the Good Hope, is the best fit I can find. However, no Ashurst appear on the war memorial in Seacombe, so unless he lived elswhere or the information concerning his death is incorrect, I suppose I`ll never know, which I`m sure you`ll agree is very very sad.

The only other naval casualty was Thomas Ashurst, born 1 May 1895, whose n.o.k. (mother) lived in Orrell, Lancs., not a million miles from Manchester.

Is he on the 1891 or 1901 census? Try a different tack, you might get to him.