Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallant conduct and devotion to duty in the field

shaun6055

post-20221-1175516062.jpgCan anyone tell me what exactly is this and if its possible to find out any details with regard to why it was given to my granddad. Following a previously asked question (see Soldiers - Medal card and unit of Lyons, John K.O.Y.L.I. dated 28/03/07) Andy Shaw kindly posted the extracts for the Battalion diary for the 20th Nov 1917 but as you might expect John was not mentioned by name.

Nice one - sometimes known as 'Hickie's Medals' - gallantry certificates were given out in a number of Divisions to men who had perfomed feats of gallantry but who had not (for whatever reason) received 'official medals' .. the card is acrually about the size of a small postcard? I have one to the same date for 6th Connaught Rangers.

This is as Des said is a 16th (Irish) Division commendation also known as a Hickie Parchment. The date is related to the divisions attack on Tunnel Trench near Bullecourt which was quite a sucsess and lots of gallantry awards were given out. (not only certificates but medals as well). It is interesting to see that you have one for Tunnel Trench for the Royal Irish Fusiliers, Des has one to the Connaught Rangers and see the following link for one awarded to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers for the same action !!! http://www.royaldublinfusiliers.com/forum/index.php?a=topic&t=48

Conor

This is as Des said is a 16th (Irish) Division commendation also known as a Hickie Parchment. The date is related to the divisions attack on Tunnel Trench near Bullecourt which was quite a sucsess and lots of gallantry awards were given out. (not only certificates but medals as well). It is interesting to see that you have one for Tunnel Trench for the Royal Irish Fusiliers, Des has one to the Connaught Rangers and see the following link for one awarded to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers for the same action !!! http://www.royaldublinfusiliers.com/forum/index.php?a=topic&t=48

Conor

Hi Conor

Thanks for your info and the link.

Very grateful

Shaun

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...

Hi Guys,

it seems Im dragging up an old thread here but I have just come into possession of a Hickie Parchment dated April 5th 1917.

Could someone help me to discover the action please?

Womo