Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help to identify whom and where

shaun6055

post-20221-1175514291.jpgThis photo postcard was in my granddads small collection. I'v no idea who they are or where the photo was taken. Can anyone help. The 2nd left at the back, as what looks like a boxing belt around his waist. He also, together with the man on his right (our left) have small medals (again possibly boxing) attached to the bottom of their braces. The man in the centre is holding a boxing Magazine.

More clues please? Did your Grandad serve - which unit? Can you enlarge the image - interested to see writing on van in background - detail of belt - cap badge.

Crossed rifles signifies something? By the way these appear to be Lee Metfords - does this suggest training or pre-war? ("The Lee Metford was produced commercially and used by civilian target shooters until the outbreak of World War I, as it was considered to be inherently more accurate than the Enfield pattern of rifling"). Sports day - winning at more than just boxing?

Anything at all on back of image?

Suggestion - if you can determine the name of boxing mag. and can locate a good library, archive, association which hold it, you maybe able to find a possible date for the image.

- David

Hi David

My grandad enlisted 10th August 1914 into the K.O.Y.L.I. 10th Battalion, John Lyons 3129. He later joined the 7th then the 7/8th Royal Irish Fusiliers 23539.

Ther is nothing on the back of the photo.

I have tried to enlarge the area you suggested but I don't if the quality will be any good.

post-20221-1175728586.jpg

post-20221-1175728635.jpg

post-20221-1175728650.jpg

post-20221-1175729192.jpg

More qualified will surely reply...

1. Soldier in cap in front of van/truck - Royal Marine Light Infantry, I would suggest

2. Not a boxing belt, it's a belt covered in cap/collar badges of other units (aka a 'Hate Belt' later in the war - but I think this pic is pre-war, perhaps?). These were common sights. The centre of this seems to be the badge of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. It's blurry to see the others, but most seem to be elephants, dragon, castles suggesting collar badges of infantry regiments.

Shaun,

suggestion - if you can determine the name of boxing mag. and can locate a good library, archive, association which hold it, you maybe able to find a possible date for the image.

Thanks for the enlargements. Should you not recieve any other suggestions give the above a go. For example, following title maybe a possibility (held by British Library):

Place London; England

Main title: Boxing

Numbers: no.1-923

Dates 11 Sept.1909-18 May 1927

As soon as you see an example of the cover you'll know if you've got the right mag. The image is clear enough to ensure correct identification. If you cant get there perhaps send a copy of image enlargement to periodicals librarian or research service to check for you.

It could clinch it? Who is the image of the man on front of mag? Is he infact in the photo? Lots of possibilities, not much effort involved. Good luck. Hope this helps.

- David.

Thanks for your information it gives me a new insight.

regards

Shaun

More qualified will surely reply...

1. Soldier in cap in front of van/truck - Royal Marine Light Infantry, I would suggest

2. Not a boxing belt, it's a belt covered in cap/collar badges of other units (aka a 'Hate Belt' later in the war - but I think this pic is pre-war, perhaps?). These were common sights. The centre of this seems to be the badge of the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. It's blurry to see the others, but most seem to be elephants, dragon, castles suggesting collar badges of infantry regiments.

Hi thanks for your suggestions

regards

Shaun

Shaun,

Thanks for the enlargements. Should you not recieve any other suggestions give the above a go. For example, following title maybe a possibility (held by British Library):

Place London; England

Main title: Boxing

Numbers: no.1-923

Dates 11 Sept.1909-18 May 1927

As soon as you see an example of the cover you'll know if you've got the right mag. The image is clear enough to ensure correct identification. If you cant get there perhaps send a copy of image enlargement to periodicals librarian or research service to check for you.

It could clinch it? Who is the image of the man on front of mag? Is he infact in the photo? Lots of possibilities, not much effort involved. Good luck. Hope this helps.

- David.

I think that this is probably a unit boxing team. RMLI 1914- 1916.

Interestingly, the man with the "hate belt" has his identity disc fixed to his braces. This must date the photo post c1906 before looking at uniform, date of the magazine etc.

Why do you think this pic is pre-war Staffsyeoman?

Another thing you may not have noticed. the Rifles are "Long" Lee metfords with volley sights, the forerunner to the SMLE. A pre war rifle. Although used during the war too. Often by Territorials. Id have a guess and say that pic is "just pre war ? "MO"

i am wondering if the man holding the boxing mag is showing a picture of himself ? tom
........well without labouring the point walk into the British Library :ph34r: order the magazine for period in question, first off is the title font the same? Yes :D Then check each cover - chances it was a monthly publication so not too may to check. Match the cover: you now have in your hands a copy of the very same issue as held by this fellow :lol: i agree with Tom I do believe the image is of his nibs. Below the picture will be his name, if not his regiment, if not then you'll atleast have his name the rest should be made easier. If it is not him you will atleast have a date which should be enough to feel confident about the year and maybe the month. With that you have something you can cross check re. any info on your Grandfathers movements/whereabouts etc....

P.S. Apologies for reiteration, I can't help myself i reckon its got easy written all over it if you can access a library that holds the mag in question. Love to see these things 'solved'.

HI and thanks to everyone for your views and comments.

The next time I can get down to London I'll check out the British Library.

Regards

Shaun

........well without labouring the point walk into the British Library :ph34r: order the magazine for period in question, first off is the title font the same? Yes :D Then check each cover - chances it was a monthly publication so not too may to check. Match the cover: you now have in your hands a copy of the very same issue as held by this fellow :lol: i agree with Tom I do believe the image is of his nibs. Below the picture will be his name, if not his regiment, if not then you'll atleast have his name the rest should be made easier. If it is not him you will atleast have a date which should be enough to feel confident about the year and maybe the month. With that you have something you can cross check re. any info on your Grandfathers movements/whereabouts etc....

P.S. Apologies for reiteration, I can't help myself i reckon its got easy written all over it if you can access a library that holds the mag in question. Love to see these things 'solved'.

aka a 'Hate Belt' later in the war

Staffs

I was under the impression that hate belts consisted of badges and buckles collected from the enemy and not from units of your own army. As the picture has a boxing theme maybe the belt consists of badges acquired from men who this group fought and beat in the ring.

Andy

I was under the impression that hate belts consisted of badges and buckles collected from the enemy and not from units of your own army. As the picture has a boxing theme maybe the belt consists of badges acquired from men who this group fought and beat in the ring.

Not necessarily, badges and anything to be included on a hate belt could come from a variety of sources depending on the soldiers taste and interests.