Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Potential Missing Casualty / Database Errors

Neil Clark

Terry,

I wonder if you would please kindly have a look at these casualties for me?

1. PENFOLD J.T

Private TF/315144 John Thomas PENFOLD. 32nd Battalion, Middlesex Regiment. Died 11th April 1918. Resided Tenterden. Buried in the Great Yarmouth (Gorleston) Cemetery, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk. Grave reference F.9.229.

The Ashford 1918 Absentee Voters List gives –

Mockford Alley, Tenterden

Private 117251 William Henry PENFOLD. Royal Army Medical Corps.

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission lists John wrongly as V.T PENFOLD!

2. STEPHEN H.F

Private G/97988 Harold Frederick STEPHEN. 1st Battalion, Middlesex Regiment. Died 6th November 1918. Born Tenterden. Enlisted Kingston, Surrey. Resided Cranbrook, Kent.

The Ashford 1918 Absentee Voters List gives –

St Michael’s, Tenterden

Private 31754 James Michael STEPHEN. Army Service Corps.

Can’t locate this man on CWGC records?

3. MACHIN A.S.H / ROSSITER E

The CWGC has recently recorded E ROSSITER as the son of Stella Mary Machin! In fact Stella Mary Machin is the sole wife of Albert S.H Machin and has no family link to the Rossiter family. When the commission entered the data they must have got a bit mixed up....

Name: MACHIN, ALBERT SIDNEY HAYDN Initials: A S H Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Private Regiment/Service: Middlesex Regiment Unit Text: 102nd Training Reserve Battalion Age: 19 Date of Death: 20/09/1918 Service No: TR/128538 Additional information: Son of Stella Mary Machin, of 170 Station Road, Redhill, Surrey. PLEASE NOTE This casualty was accepted for commemoration by the Commission. Please contact the Commission before planning a visit for more information. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: Grave 2382 Cemetery: ASHFORD CEMETERY, Kent

Correct data should include -

Private TR/128538 Albert Sidney Haydn MACHIN. 102nd Training Reserve Battalion, Middlesex Regiment. (23rd Reserve Brigade, Aldershot). Died Woolpack Farm, Westwell 20th September 1918 aged 19 years of Pulmonary Tuberculosis (T.B). Born Ashford 11th July 1899. Resided 19, Barrow Hill Road, St John’s, London. Son of Albert Edward and Stella Mary Machin of 170, Station Road, Redhill, Surrey. Formerly “Gladwyn”, Elwick Road, Ashford, Kent. Buried 23rd September 1918 in a private family plot at the Old Ashford Cemetery, Canterbury Road, Ashford. Grave reference - 2382.

Name: ROSSITER, EDWARD Initials: E Nationality: United Kingdom Rank: Driver Regiment/Service: Royal Field Artillery Unit Text: No 2 Section, 29th Divisional Ammunition Column Age: 32 Date of Death: 01/11/1920 Service No: 59170 Additional information: PLEASE NOTE This casualty was accepted for commemoration by the Commission. Please contact the Commission before planning a visit for more information. Husband of Mrs Stella Mary Machin of Ashford Kent. Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: Grave 6967 Cemetery: ASHFORD CEMETERY, Kent.

This is the correct information -

Driver 59170 Edward ROSSITER. No 2 Section, 29th Divisional Ammunition Column. Royal Field Artillery (RFA). Formerly 3rd (Volunteer) Battalion, The Buffs (East Kent Regiment). Died 1st November 1920 aged 32 years of Pulmonary Tuberculosis at 58 Gravel Walk, Ashford. Born Ashford 1890. Son of Thomas and Ruth Rossiter of 4, Bates Passage, Ashford, Kent. Formerly residing (1901) 4 Gravel Walk, Ashford, Kent. Husband of Emma Susannah Rossiter (nee Bingham) of 58, Gravel Walk, Ashford, Kent. Buried in a paupers (unmarked) grave 4th November 1920 at the Old Ashford Cemetery, Canterbury Road, Ashford, Kent. Grave reference 6967.

These 2 (above) were recently approved by the commission. Therefore this error was made recently. The wording "RECENTLY" also seems to have been missed off from both men.

I trust you will ensure these are corrected.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Neil

Although H.F.STEPHEN is listed in SDGW, he does not appear in the GRO Overseas Death Index nor the GRO England and Wales Index.

Neil

The ROSSITER/MACHIN confusion has been sorted and you should hear from CWGC soon.

Dear Terry,

I am EXTREMELY grateful for your assistance in this matter. I don't think I will bother writing to CWGC again to sort out problems etc...

I will get the ball rolling with regard to H.F STEPHEN. I shall be happy to keep you "up to speed" regarding this case.

If ever I can help you out in any way, please don't hesitate to ask, I will be happy to reciprocate. Does the GWF accept cash donations towards death certificates?

Neil

Neil

Also, the PENFOLD issue is being checked. The original register also has 'V T' and so any error is long standing.

On the other point....

GWF does not purchase DCs. Up to now, all cases prepared and forwarded by myself in GWF's name on behalf of members have had the DCs purchased by the member themselves.

Any donations to GWF would go towards the running of the Forum generally.