Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CEF Roll of Honour

Guest Hill 60

Although not a Unit History I have a copy of the Canadian Expeditionary Force Roll of Honour which lists members and former members of the CEF who died as a result of service in the Great War 1914-1919.

The book lists the casualties in alphabetical order (so don't ask for the amount of the men kia on a certain date from a certain battalion!!). The information includes: serial #, rank, surname, given names, units, year of death, location of burial or where commemorated, previous units, age at death, where enlisted, how died.

I'd be willing to look up any name required, just e-mail me.

• 1 year later...
Guest gen_wizard

Hi Lee,

I've just discovered this thread and was wondering if you could do 3 lookups for me please.

Pte Walter Nesfield Stone of the 43rd Battalion died 1918

Pte Arthur Goodliff, of the 75th Battalion, died i think 1917

Pte Charles Edward Hoyle, 4th Coy Canadian Machine gun Corps

Any further imformation that you could add to what i have would be of a great help. Many thanks.

Regards

Mike

I didn't expect to be back here so soon!

164534 Pte Arthur Goodliffe, 75th Bn, Died of wounds 11 April 1917, aged 24, previous service in the 85th Bn.

171127 L/Cpl Charles Edward, 4th MG Coy, Killed in action 30 June 1916.

225654 Pte Walter Nesfield, 43rd Bn, Missing 28 Aug 1918 aged 20.

Bye all :)

Hi Lee

I wonder if you would look up this chap for me - I have seen his enlistment document on ArchiviaNet but cannot find any reference to his date and cause of death:

919284 Pte Henry John Godsell, 199th Bn

With very many thanks

Jimmy

Hi Jimmy:

There isn't any record of 919284 Pte. Henry John Godsell's death in the CEF Honour Roll, the CWGC web site or Canada's Book of Remembrance. The CWGC recorded deaths up to August 21, 1921 and Canada's Book of Remembrance up to (and including) 1922.

It should be noted, the 199th Battalion was never a front line battalion. They were absorbed by the 23rd Reserve Battalion.

Garth

Guest gen_wizard

Lee,

Many thanks for such a swift answer. I think that Walter Stone was wounded and while being loaded into an ambulance it got a direct hit from and enemy shell. As there would not of been much left of him if anything then he would be presumed missing. That is what the family believe anyway.

As for Charles Edward Hoyle i can't find anything int he war diaries to say that they were in action on the day of his death.

Its certainly news to me that Arthur Goddliff died of wounds so that is something that i will have to look up with more intensity now.

Again thankyou for this imformaton

Mike

Garth

Many thanks for the info.

Regards

Jimmy

• 1 month later...

hello lee,

can you look up for me please

434674 pte alfred hadley 50th can. inf

thanks enoch

Guest Hill 60

Enoch - Here you go:

434674 Pte Hadley, Alfred

10th Battalion

Died of nephritis on 1 Oct 1918 afed 38 years.

Previously served in the 50th Bn.

I got the foggiest what nephritis is though!

thankyou lee,

its sounds like nephroic syndrome when causes damage to kidney/liver(i looked it up!) thanks again for the very quick reply

enoch

• 1 month later...

Lee

Can you help me with this man Reginald Page I'm trying to find out which unit he served with while with the Canadians. I have copy of his attestation papers but it does not say. He was working in Canada and signed up 29th Sept 1914,he arrived back in England with the first Canadian contingent Oct 1914. A year later he was commissioned into his home town (Wolverhampton) Territorial Battalion 1/6th South Staffords. He was killed in action 1st July 1916 at Gommecourt. Any info would be gratefully received.

Regards Doug.

Doug, his attestation was signed by Lt. Col. Rennie. Rennie was C.O. of the 3rd Battalion (Toronto Regiment).

Peter in Vancouver

Hi Doug:

Here's his listing C.E.F Roll of Honour listing:

(Serial Number) c9945 (Rank) 2/Lt (Surname) Page (Given Name) Reginald (Unit) 6th S Staff R[TF] (Year) July 1, 1916 (Notes) Age 23, KIA, Original unit 3rd Battalion

Garth

Peter and Garth.

As usual the Canadian pals help me out,thank you both very much for the info.

Regards Doug.

• 2 months later...

Hi Lee

In researching the Quesnel BC cenotaph I've come across a name, Benoit Coppens 116909, 11th C.M.R. as being listed among the dead despite there being no record of his demise either in CWGC or the Canadian Virtual War Memorial. As a last chance, might he be found in the Rol of Honour listings?

Thanks

Brian

If he wasn't killed during the war, I wonder what his reaction would have been if he ever saw his name on the local cenotaph. It's most likely a case of a soldier not returning to the area where he enlisted and it being assumed that he was a casualty.

Brian

No, there are 66 names listed of those who died while in service out of a total of aproximately 400 men who enlisted from this area. After having done some research on this monument, there are a number of other discrepencies besides our friend Mr. B. Coppens. There are, of course, a number of men who were left off, but what is more problematic is that there is a number of men listed who did not die while in military service. Among them are 102911 Sgt. James E. 67th Btn., 442086 Pte. L. Patrick Hennerty 7th BC Btn., Ernest Middleton, Pte. Wiliam Reader, Royal Canadian Dragoons. 103211 Lt. James Dunbar Boyd. and 442478 Alexander Roderick Setter. The local newspapers asked for submissions to go on the cenotaph in 1920. The first attempt to build a memorial to the war dead was met with apathy by the local GWVA. It was not until 1922 that the memorial was finally constructed.

Brian