Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photos of unknown unit

icegemm

following on from the 25th battalion Durham Light Infantry topic. Please follow the links below to see photos of Ernest Crosland and his unit. I do not know what unit it is as I believed he was in the DLI but the cap badge does not match. Any idea what unit it is?

also any idea what the place is the group were going to? I cannot read the inscription from the letter home.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7582697@N05/442028898/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7582697@N05/442028888/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/7582697@N05/442028880/

The photo of the two together looks like East Yorks to me, and I think that the place they are going to is Strensall, which is in/near York, Strensall Barracks, I believe (I could be wrong) being the home of the West Yorks at some point.

Alice

Going to Strensall.

Bages donot look at DLI(not an expert )and there are not West Yorkshire.

Regards Kevin

Hello,

I agree with with Steven, The photo of the two together and the group phot look like East Yorks Regiment. The place they are going to is definately Strensall Camp, near York. Many units were trained there in the Great War. The uniforms look like late issue, 1917 onwards. Possibly 2nd or 3rd line Territorials. I think the West Yorks were based at Fulford Barracks, York. It would not be uncommon for a soldier to serve in more than one Regiment, later in the War they were sent where required.

Regards,

Ron

The uniforms look like late issue, 1917 onwards. Possibly 2nd or 3rd line Territorials. I think the West Yorks were based at Fulford Barracks, York. It would not be uncommon for a soldier to serve in more than one Regiment, later in the War they were sent where required.

Regards,

Ron

Ernest died on 30th march 1917. do you know when the uniforms changed exactly?

Alice

Just to let you know, as your postcard says at the end"For a fornights firing".

Iwould expect this to be for Musketry Training, as there was a Musketry Training School at Strensall Camp.

Regards Kevin

Hello Alice,

The tunics without pleats on the breast pockets may well have been supplied as early as late 1914 or early 1915 when the 2nd Line Battalions were raised. I'm no expert, perhaps some uniform buff can answer that one for you. Was Ernest killed in action or died at home ?

Regards,

Ron

Alice,

The men certainly look like East Yorkshire Regiment, the 11th Battalion was at Pocklington before the 25th DLI. I have photos of the 11th Bn EYR at Pocklington and the uniforms and huts are similar, but it could be many places.

Regards Charles

Well Gentlemen Here is my problem. Ernest Crosland joined the army as private 3379 of the west yorkshire regiment then he moved to the Durham light infantry private 33779 of the 25th battalion. His death record shows he died in France and Flanders as part of the Durham Light infantry. He died on March 30th 1917 so how come he was out in france under the DLI? It doesnt make any sense to me as the 25th Btn never went to france unless he was moved into the labour corps which sounds most likely as the major move happened in march 1917. The Durham light infantry 25th btn never trained or carried weapons so he must have been in something else in order to go to Strensall but many people have said that the cap badge doesnt match the West Yorkshire Regiment so I really dont understand whats going on.

Alice

His DLI number was 64756.

Maybe on transfer to the DLI he was initially with the 25th Bn but transferred to another Bn on arrival in France, and the new Bn details had not caught up with his records at time of death.

Probably one to be unravelled by seeing his army service record, but only if it still exists....

Ian

Agree that they're East Yorks and you have a possible scenario of him being firstly East Yorks, then being transferred to the West Yorks and then onto 25th Bn, D.L.I. From here, and despite 25th DLI being a home service unit he's been transferred to another DLI battalion and killed. What the MIC is actually telling you is that this is the unit he was serving with at the time he stepped ashore in France. On arrival he could be posted direct to a unit awaiting reinforcements or he could have gone to an Infantry Base Depot to await posting to another battalion. As Ian suggests his death may have occurred before all of the paperwork had caught up or was completed.

Either way, don't rely on the MIC, it's his Medal Roll Sheet which you want, as it should show the unit he served in or was attached to pending transfer. He wasn't transferred to the Labout Corps, at least there is no evidence that he did, or he would have had a Labour Corp number, which he hasn't.

What you have to remember is that the MIC and Medal Roll Sheet will only show units served in overseas and nothing served in at home. That information would be held on his service record sheets.

Graham.