Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

9th (Scottish) Division Field Artillery

jay dubaya

Hi to all,

is there any infomation out there reguarding the position of the divisions RFA whilst facing Deville Wood, July 1916. Anything would be much appreciated, many thanks,

cheers, Jon :D

Jon,

Just been scanning through the 9th's history - plenty about the artillery at this time, but not where they were placed! The creeping barrage came into its own, and because of the wooded area, a predominance of HE instead of shrapnel was employed.

Ian

Thanks for that Ian,

Levi (see below) was KiA on 18th July, a gunner of C Bty. 50th Bde. 9th (Scottish) Division & is buried at Quarry Cemetery, Montauban. He was not one of the original burials & was moved there after the armistice. I'm trying to locate where he may have been prior to this.

cheers, Jon :D

Jon,

During middle July, the 9th's objective was Bernafay Wood and then onto Longueval and Delville Wood.

During the advance, a careful creeping barrage programme was arranged, and since the men were to be fighting in woods, it was decided to use HE rather than shrapnel, which would loose its effectivenesss amongst the trees.

During the various engagements the German artillery was active in counter-battery work. Perhaps that was how your man was killed?

But I cannot say where the artillery was placed. There may well be records but I am not an artillery buff.

Cheers

Ian

Jon,

C/50 Bde RFA were in the SW area of Mai Montauban, Ref Ca3d 35. 35. Map Montauban 1/20,000 facing Delville Wood. HQ was at Oxford Copse A15 C37. There is no mention of any actual deaths or names/dates of OR’s, but Officers are. From the 16 to 18 July batteries were ‘barraging almost continuously southern portions of Delville Wood’. Night lines were established at S12 COZ.

C/50 Bde records for the month of July 2 OR’s killed, 8 wounded and 1 Officer wounded. The 18 pdrs fired 16.931 rounds of which 13,208 were shrapnel the balance HE. Some other recorded comments to note that possibly may assist you in further research: they fired on DW in conjunction with 40 Bde; and on the morning of the 14 July British Cavalry camped beside the batteries; and of course if you manage to trace the other casualties grave site it may also assist. Hope you can extract something useful from this. If you wish to see some actual pages feel free to PM me

Rgds Paul

Paul,

Good info for Jon. I had looked briefly at the history of the 9th, and it mentioned the predominance of HE instead of the usual shrapnel, since the attack and fighting was to be in the woods, where (from previous experience) shrapnel was not as effective. Therefore after an intial sharpnel barrage, HE was to be used.

Maybe that was for the heavies? Or maybe just for the creeping barrage rather than general bombardment?

Ian

No you were absolutely correct Ian. I had only given C/50’s expenditure as that pertained to Jon's question; D/50 that had 4.5 Hows fired in comparison 121 Shrapnel, but 11,599 HE and 279 Thermite. A HE shell dropping vertically from a How with the correct fuze would be very effective over a Wood, and later reports indicated that every tree became a stump.

Rgds Paul

That's great stuff Paul :D

Is this info from the Divisions War Diary? I've tried several times to contact the NA but never had any response...

Do you know if the above map is available? I have some small snippets of trench maps of the area, not sure of the location of Oxford Copse. I would very much like to have the references marked on a map.

Are the shells fired by C/50 over the 16th to 18th dates?

Nice note with reguards to the Cavalry, it would be very interesting to find which unit it was.

Thanks once again Ian :D

you'd never think it was the same wood looking at it today!

cheers fellas,

Jon :D