Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lieut Eric Delaney Tyzack RFC

jay dubaya

Hi to all,

2nd Lieut Eric Delaney Tyzack RFC KiA 15/09/17 is on a memorial plaque that is hidden away under cover & at present out of view to the public eye. (the plaque also contains the names of 92 others who fell during the Great War) The only information I have on this chap is from SDGW & CWGC also that he was a Sheffielder.

Any further information would be much appreciated, many thanks,

cheers, Jon :D

Jon

2Lt E D Tyzack (formerly Royal Engineers) was killed in action on 15 September 1917 while flying Nieuport 17 B1672 of No 1 Sqn RFC. Oberleutnant Bruno Loerzer of Jasta 26 claimed a Nieuport over Westroosbeke at 1525; it was the 7th of his eventual 44 victories [though Above the Lines gives the date of this victory as 15 August].

I hope this helps

Gareth

Thanks for that gents... A photo of the plaque was sent to me recently. The only clue to it's origin was the letters WIST Ltd, this has transpired into William Tyzack & Sons of Sheffield. I'm trying to find out if he was a son of one of the Tyzack brothers. There are several other Tyzacks listed on SDGW all from within the same district of Sheffield.

welshdoc...I can't open the links :unsure: probably a problem my end :blink: it is the day after the night before,

Cheers, Jon :D

The Gazette site seems to be broken at the moment. They usually give it a kick back into life on a Monday morning.

Steve.

Birth Reg Dec Qtr 1891 Ecclesall B. Registration District as Eric Delanoy Tyzack

Father Frederick Tyzack and mother Emily Tyzack (nee Delanoy)

Per 1901 Census resident at Psalter House, Bruncliffe Crescent, Eccleshall - father's Occupation given as Steel and File Manufacturer

His grandfather was William Tyzack of Abbeydale House, Sheffield who died in 1889.

I believe this is the family:

http://www.tilthammer.com/bio/tyzac.html

Regards

Pam

That's fantastic Pam :D ...many thanks, it is the family that I'm looking for. I could see the Little London Works from my bedroom window when I was living in Sheffield. Great link, just what I needed to read...

Frederick Tyzack died in 1923 and was succeeded as chairman by John Blunt. This may have been a direct result of the war. Before the war, Frederick's son, Eric D. Tyzack, was the company's Metallurgical Chemist, with his own new laboratory. One might reasonably have expected him to follow his father as chairman in the family firm. He however became a pilot in the Royal Flying Corps and was killed over Passchendaele. quoted from http://www.tilthammer.com/bio/tyzac.html

Interestingly the link also included the name Wolstenholme... the plaque also has 2 Wolstenholmes B & S, S who I believe to be Pte. Selby Wolstenholme 2nd Sherwoods KiA 19/09/18. Can't find a B though, any ideas :rolleyes:

Many thanks to you all,

links working now welshdoc...I think it's probably best you don't put jam in it next time...

At time of 1901 Census the only children to Frederick and Emily Tyzack were:

Ethel Annie Tyzack born 1883

Dorothy Tyzack born 1887

Eric Delanoy Tyzack born 1891

Emile Vera Tyzack born 1896

Selby Wolstenholme was born 1886 Totley Rise, Derbyshire I believe his parent's were Selby Wolstenholme and Rachel Moore Wolstenholme (nee Toulson) Rachel died in 1887 at the age of 24 years at time 1891 Census young Selby then aged 5 years is living with Thomas and Jane Law at 6, Rolling Mill, Totley, classed as Nurse Child. His father (a Widower) and sister Nellie (7) are living at 3, Rolling Mill, Totley with his parents John and Jemmima Wolstenholme next door at No 2 were George and Ada Wolstenholme all the male workers were Scythe Smiths.

In 1901 Selby Senior has remarried (1895) to Mary (probably Lowe) and has another daughter Mabel aged 4 years. They are living at The Post Office, 30, Totley Rise, and he is classed as Sub Postmaster, Dealer, Shopkeeper and Gardener. Selby junior is living at 33, Totley Rise and is a butcher's apprentice.

In 1909 Selby Wolstenholme junior married Nellie Sprentall.

Regards

Pam

Pam, please!

It's Ecclesall - NO 'h' - that's a place down south somewhere.

And it's BrInclffe - a few yards from where I live..

:)

Kath.

Kath

Sorry got Ecclesall right first time when typing RD wrong second when typing address apologies for any offence caused confusing north with south!!

Did you mean Brincliffe Crescent instead of Bruncliffe Crescent or is it really Brinclffe?

Regards

Pam

Brincliffe Crescent in (or on!) Brinclffe.

Kath.

Ooooooh...Kath's on the Edge :D

Thanks again Pam, it's very much appreciated :D

An apprentice indenture for one Alfred Wolstenholme as a Patent Scythe Maker was signed in 1854 quoted from http://www.tilthammer.com/bio/tyzac.html

Not sure if Selby is related, perhaps a different branch of the Wolstenholme family.......