Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown Memorial

PBI

post-7805-1175423967.jpg

This Image inexplicably attached itself to an incoming E-Mail,would any of the Pals be able to say where it is,or if indeed it is a WW1 Memorial ?...Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping this back up...in the hope of an answer

Bruce

post-7805-1175423967.jpg

This Image inexplicably attached itself to an incoming E-Mail,

Doesnt whoever sent you the email know where it is?

John

This Image inexplicably attached itself to an incoming E-Mail,

Doesnt whoever sent you the email know where it is?

John

cant quite make it out , but is that writing (names) along the top edge ? It look British to me and also what with the indentations in the ground in front of the memorial , I reckon there's some burials there too . "MO"

Correct Mo,The Writing seems to be mens Names.The photo just inexplicably appeard in a File on my Laptop.

, I reckon there's some burials there too . "MO"

Yes. There looks like a gravestone behind the wall.

It made me think that it might be one of those walls you see in cemeteries listing war dead whose burials are scatered throughout the cemetery - but there looks much too much land around for it to be that.

So, perhaps, a "war memorial" wall in a public park somewhere?

Certainly looks British to me.

John

The "Ghost" original was a very large Photo,so i had to shrink it somewhat,hence the loss of resoloution.The More i look at this picture,the more it looks like the site of a Mass Burial to me,IE the Hedge enclosing the open space,plus the name inscribed on the Walls.

It sort of reminds me of the type of memorial erected over Civilians killed during Enemy bombing in the second war ?

The landscape and yew hedging certainly look British, and the enclosed plot, indentations and inscribed memorial wall suggest individual burials of people who could not be (or cannot now be) individually identified. But why apparently in the middle of a field, with one isolated grave nearby? Civilian war casualties? Air or shipping disaster — or perhaps a munitions factory explosion?

Mick

I think you can discount Kent. If you have a look on Roll of Honour you will see a link to Faversham Gun Power Explosion. This memorial does have similarities but it is not that memorial.

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Kent/FavershamExplosion.html

Another possibility was the memorial to HMS Bulwark / Princess Irene in Woodlands Cemetery, Gillingham and one to the Cadets killed in Dock Road, Chatham in the 1950's.

I have photographed in excess of 450 Kent civic war memorials and I am confident it's not here...

To me it looks like a mass grave.

Best of luck

Neil

Just bringing this back to the top again. Surely someone out there must know where this ? and put us out of our misery. With the amount of names on it , it looks like a major burial site near to a City/town that was hard hit (Coventry ?) "MO"

Hi,

I too think that there are two lines of burials in the space enclosed by the wall and hedges, and that the inclined facin at the top of the wall carries naming details.

The solitary headstone behind the mass grave/memorial may be a survivor of a larger cemetery that has been "landscaped" to provide an open space.

I base this on nothing more than a hunch but I have a feeling that this may be the grave site of people killed in a shipping catastrophe, possibly as a result of enemy action. It reminds of something I've seen before, but long enough ago for it not to be clearly recalled anymore.

It's going to anny me now until someone spots it and realises they know where it is.

It has to be close to someone on the forum... You're never more than six feet away from a GWF member in the UK.... or is that rats?

Interesting,

Nigel

I also posted it here

to try and drum up a bit more interest , Strange that its not been identified though "MO"

I dont think its german,as i have visited a few og the Big Mass Burial sites and they certainly dont look like this One.

• 1 month later...