Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Fudgeweena

Northamptonshire Regiment War Diaries

Fudgeweena

My Great Great Uncle Alfred Skellham was killed in WW1, according to CWGC the date was 19/01/1915. My elderly Grandmother tells me there is a story of him being shot in the barracks by accident, as opposed to being killed in action. It has been suggested to me one of the ways to find out is investigate the war diaries. I am of limited funds and are trying to glean as much info from the internet as possible. I would be very grateful of any help offered, I am a complete novice at Family History/Genealogy especially the Military side.

He belonged to the Northamptonshire Regiment 2nd Bn Service No. 9350, he is buried at Cabaret-Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez.

Terry Denham

CWGC records show 'Accidentally killed'.

Terry Denham

In the original CWGC WW1 cemetery registers published in the 1920s/30s, a cause of death was printed for a minority of the casualties.

This 'cause of death' was supplied by the next-of-kin (if they wished) on the Final Verification Form which they returned to CWGC (and so may not be totally accurate). CWGC retain this information in their database but do not reproduce it in the on-line record. However, if you request a print-out from them of all the burials in a particular cemetery, you do get this information.

Your relative's entry bears the wording I gave above.

(Apologies. I deleted the above post by accident! One of the dangers of being a Moderator! Luckily I read it first)

Jon6640
(Apologies. I deleted your second post by accident! One of the dangers of being a Moderator! Luckily I read it first)

A quick copy of the CWGC details that gone deleted,

Casualty Details

Name: SKELLHAM, ALFRED

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Northamptonshire Regiment

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 19/01/1915

Service No: 9350

Additional information: Son of Mr. J. Skellham, of York Row, Brigstock, Northants.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XVII. F. 19.

Cemetery: CABARET-ROUGE BRITISH CEMETERY, SOUCHEZ

Am I a member of an elite group having had a post deleted? (Only joking Terry!)

Fudgeweena
CWGC records show 'Accidentally killed'.

Thank you for the info, you must have access to different areas of the site to me, either that or I'm not looking in the right place. Thanks again.

Terry Denham

See my second post above.

Stebie9173

I have a copy of the 2nd Battalion's war diary. I shall check tonight. Be aware that not many non-officers get a mention, but an unusual case might.

(I should remember, but boosting this topic to the top of the list tonight won't do any harm!)

Steve.

Fudgeweena
I have a copy of the 2nd Battalion's war diary. I shall check tonight. Be aware that not many non-officers get a mention, but an unusual case might.

(I should remember, but boosting this topic to the top of the list tonight won't do any harm!)

Steve.

I can't wait, I really hope there is a mention of Alfred, I'll be able to pass any info on to my Grandma. Thanks for taking the time to reply to my request, much appreciated. Sarah (Fudgeweena)

Stebie9173

The War Diary confirms that the 2nd Northamptons were in "barracks" - billets at La Gorgue - at the time.

Worryingly they seem to have been practicing with hand grenades (a.k.a. Bombs) at the time....

No specific mention of Alfred, however.

post-6536-1175101982.jpg

Steve.

Fudgeweena
The War Diary confirms that the 2nd Northamptons were in "barracks" - billets at La Gorgue - at the time.

Worryingly they seem to have been practicing with hand grenades (a.k.a. Bombs) at the time....

No specific mention of Alfred, however.

post-6536-1175101982.jpg

Steve.

Thank you so very much for posting that section of the War Diaries, it all seems to tie in with what I've been told. I have also made a request from CWGC via E-mail for any further info in blak and white. Thanks again. Sarah (fudgeweena)

Stebie9173

Judging by his number he would have enlisted around about Summer 1911.

Steve.

John84

I note the war diary Steve has supplied states in billets and grenade training from the 18-21 Jan. Arthur James Pack below is recorded as Died of Wounds on SDGW on 21/01/15...I wonder if it was a grenade training accident and this lad died also as a result of it two days later.

John.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=268406

Fudgeweena
I note the war diary Steve has supplied states in billets and grenade training from the 18-21 Jan. Arthur James Pack below is recorded as Died of Wounds on SDGW on 21/01/15...I wonder if it was a grenade training accident and this lad died also as a result of it two days later.

John.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=268406

That's very interesting, thank you for that bit of info. I don't suppose I'll ever get to the bottom of this. It just seems such a shame, although willing to die for his country he dies accidentally. My Great Grandfather Harry (Alfred's brother) survived WW1 and went on to marry my Great Grandmother Annie. Annie's sister Lilian had a soft spot for Alfred, sadly nothing came of it as he was killed. Lilian never married and died in 1981 a spinster.

Philippawimbledon

Hi Sarah, 

I'm contacting you on behalf of The University of Northampton's Journalism department. We're doing a special news project all about the WW1 Centenary and came across the story of your Great Great Uncle. We would love to tell his story to the public of Northampton and potentially interview yourself or member's of your family about Alfred's story. 

Please let me know if this would be of interest to you. 

Thanks 

Philippa