Order of St Patrick

The King's Bodyguard for Scotland

Order of the Star of India

Order of the Thistle

United Service Instiution Medallists

VC

Royal Victorian Order

Yeoman of the Guard

Please state the surname of the person you are looking for with full initials and unit if possible.

This will be a manual exercise, so please be patient and I'll post a reply to each enquiry in time.

Regards

Josturm :blink:

Josturm

What a good offer and what an amazing content!

Can you find, please, William L. Bateson MC, possibly 1915-16, Royal Engineers? I have not been able to get him from London Gazette.

Thank you

Daggers

Josturm

What a good offer and what an amazing content!

Can you find, please, William L. Bateson MC, possibly 1915-16, Royal Engineers? I have not been able to get him from London Gazette.

Thank you

Daggers

Not sure how much help this will be, but it does confirm:

Bateson, Lieutenant, W. L. Royal Engineers (Territorial Force)

Two other Lt Batesons also won the MC - T.S. of the 4th Royal Lancs Regt and D.L. of the 6th KRRC.

Josturm :D

LG 3-6-1918

AWARDED THE MILITARY CROSS.

Lt. (A/Capt.) William Latham Bateson, R.E.

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/archiveVi...;selHonourType=

(King's Birthday Honours - No citation - probably)

Commission:

Temp. Lt. 20-11-1915; Acting Captain, 27-1-17; Lt 1-7-1917, precedence backdated to 1-6-1916. Relinquished acting Captain rank 11-1-19, Wessex Div. Engineers, Signal Company.

Steve.

Jostrum what sort of details does the book give, is it simply a list of those winning awards or are there biographies? By the way its a fine gesture to do lookups for the pals. gareth

Could you see if there is anything for Sub.Lt. Alfred George Jolley RNVR - I know he has the Order of St Stanislas 3rd Class, and from this forum I have discovered he also received a Crown of Belgium Chevalier.

I have details of where to go at the National Archives when I get to London this year, but I would love to find out where or what he served on (battleships, subs etc.) if possible. Then I can start looking at the specific actions and fields (or waters!) of service.

Many thanks

Shirley

I would be very grateful if you could help me my husbands grandfather served in the sherwood foresters he was in the 2nd battalion his name was private john jones, he had no middle name that we know of his regimental number was 9594 as far as i can understand he received a dcm at hooge in 1915 and there are family stories that he also had another important medal but we don't know what, he fell on hard times and died destitute in the 1960's, my husband is very upset by this and is trying to find info about him to try and leave a fitting tribut to him to our children, we would be so grateful if you could help us find any other information and records about him or point me in the right direction.

cheers

mel

I would be very grateful if you could help me my husbands grandfather served in the sherwood foresters he was in the 2nd battalion his name was private john jones, he had no middle name that we know of his regimental number was 9594 as far as i can understand he received a dcm at hooge in 1915 and there are family stories that he also had another important medal but we don't know what, he fell on hard times and died destitute in the 1960's, my husband is very upset by this and is trying to find info about him to try and leave a fitting tribut to him to our children, we would be so grateful if you could help us find any other information and records about him or point me in the right direction.

cheers

mel

Hi, this book doesn't list DCM's - but if you contact the National Archives in Kew, you can get his medal index card on line. I would suggest you start a new topic thready asking the Pals for information on your ancestor.

Good luck.

Josturm

Jostrum what sort of details does the book give, is it simply a list of those winning awards or are there biographies? By the way its a fine gesture to do lookups for the pals. gareth

Its just an alphabetical list by award with name intials rank and regiment.

Josturm

Could you see if there is anything for Sub.Lt. Alfred George Jolley RNVR - I know he has the Order of St Stanislas 3rd Class, and from this forum I have discovered he also received a Crown of Belgium Chevalier.

I have details of where to go at the National Archives when I get to London this year, but I would love to find out where or what he served on (battleships, subs etc.) if possible. Then I can start looking at the specific actions and fields (or waters!) of service.

Many thanks

Shirley

Jolley Alfred G - Lieut. RNVR - St Stanislas - 3rd class - Russia - 1917

Jolley Alfred G - Lieut RNVR - Crown of Belgium - Chevalier - Belgium - 1917

also

Jolley Norman K - Lieut RM - St Stanislas - 3rd Class - Russia - 1915.

Regards

Josturm :D

Sorry again, Peter.

From the London Gazette 15-9-1915

Awarded the Distinguished Conduct Medal.

9594 Pte. Jones, J. 2nd Battalion, Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment

For conspicuous gallantry on the 9th August, 1915, at Hooge, when he carried messages backwards and forwards from the firing line to the Battalion Headquarters under a very heavy shell and rifle fire. By his coolness and courage he set a fine example to all ranks, and greatly assisted in keeping them steady.

Merry, we have a fair few Sherwood Foresters enthusiasts on the Forum. As Peter suggests, if you start a New Topic on the Soldiers section, and make sure it says Sherwood Foresters in the title, I'm sure you'll get some more help.

Steve.

Many thanks Peter, confirms what I have learned, so now will have to make the journey to NA, or persuade the kids working in London to give up their Saturday, if I cannot wait that long. The addiction continues alas.

Cheers

Shirley

cheers

mel

Do you have a photo of him? If not I can send you one. British Gallantry Awards - Sherwood Foresters has a photo. The photo shows his medals of which he has 5 - To be honest by his age in the photo it could be WW2 or between the wars. He does have a medal next to the DCM which I do not recognise.

Your best bet is to email The Sherwood Foresters Museum -

archivist@wfrmuseum.org.uk Mr I G Edwards BEM. They will have the photo plus his medal list. Possibly other info as well.

The 2nd Battalion were part of 18th Brigade, 6th Division but moved to 71st Brigade 6th Division on 27 October 1915. The 6th Div carried out an attack at Hooge on 9th August 1915.

stevem

Do you have a photo of him? If not I can send you one. British Gallantry Awards - Sherwood Foresters has a photo. The photo shows his medals of which he has 5 - To be honest by his age in the photo it could be WW2 or between the wars. He does have a medal next to the DCM which I do not recognise.

Your best bet is to email The Sherwood Foresters Museum -

archivist@wfrmuseum.org.uk Mr I G Edwards BEM. They will have the photo plus his medal list. Possibly other info as well.

The 2nd Battalion were part of 18th Brigade, 6th Division but moved to 71st Brigade 6th Division on 27 October 1915. The 6th Div carried out an attack at Hooge on 9th August 1915.

stevem

Oh my god that would be fantastic my husband would be so pleased, we have nothing at all of his so a photo would be great, i will get in touch with the museum as you suggest, thanks so much again

Hello

Can you pls look up these 2 MC winners

A B Pratt (worcesters/leinsters/coldstream)

J H W Heney (coldstream)

Thanks

I am looking into my g-great uncle I know he has a trio (I have the MIC) and that he was in the BEF before the war. Any other medals I have yet to find. Edward Patrick Hennessy KRRC.

Also my grandpa may have recieved a French bravery medal but I can't find any record. Pte Thomas Smith MM 17181 Royal Irish Fusiliers

they are both in my signature.

Thanks

Stephen

Hello

Can you pls look up these 2 MC winners

A B Pratt (worcesters/leinsters/coldstream)

J H W Heney (coldstream)

Thanks

Hi, the book has this entry on Page 421 under MC awards:

Captain A B Pratt, Leinster Regiment

He was one of 17 men named Pratt to win the MC

and on page 361......

Lieutenant J H W Heney, Coldstream Guards - Special Reserve.

Regards Josturm

I am looking into my g-great uncle I know he has a trio (I have the MIC) and that he was in the BEF before the war. Any other medals I have yet to find. Edward Patrick Hennessy KRRC.

Also my grandpa may have recieved a French bravery medal but I can't find any record. Pte Thomas Smith MM 17181 Royal Irish Fusiliers

they are both in my signature.

Thanks

Stephen

Hi,

all of the Foreign Orders seem to be to Middle to Senior ranking Officers. Suggest you try to get Thomas Smith's service papers in WO363 or 364 to see if any mention is made of a French medal. :blink:

Regarding Hennessey, I don't have time to rawl all sections unless you can be specfic. If you think he was entitled to other medals, you need his service papers or a search of the Gallantry Medal index cards at Kew.

Regards Josturm.

Thank you

Ian,

You've probably already found these...

Acton Brook Pratt - New Year's Honurs 1917 with Worcesters.

John Henry Waldo Heney

Commission 28-11-1917

MC announcement:

2-4-1919

Citation:

10-12-1919

2nd Lt. John Henry Waldo Heney, C. Gd Spec. Res., attd. 1st Bn.

For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty near Villers Pol on 4th November, 1918. He took charge of two sections at the commencement of the attack and cleared the whole right flank of some half dozen machine-guns which were enfilading it. He killed several himself, and with his handful of men collected over a hundred prisoners. After the attack, he and a few others beat off a counter-attack on the right flank.

Steve.