Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Service Records

alan jones

Hello ,

My late grandfather served from 1914 -21 so I duly sent to HD for what they had on him. I received 2 small slips with very little info on them, name , rank , numbers , date of enlistment , date of discharge. Were these service records for men who did not leave at end of war stored in the same place that was 'blitzed' or elsewhere? If they were kept safe , what happened to all the rest of his records ? perhaps' blitzed ' by civil service ? It is very disappointing.

Regards

Alan

Alan,

I started a thread a short while back on a similar topic...see here.

I have not yet had the opportunity to send my letter to the Historical Disclosures Dept. as I am still abroad, but will do so soon.

I am surprised that they had so little to give you in terms of information. Even the burnt documents 'on average' contain much more that they told you. I would very much like to know whether the service records of those soldiers who continued in service after 1920 were kept separately from those whose service ended during, or shortly after, the war. It would have a great bearing on their condition. And obviously we would all like to know when they are going to be released - under the 75 or 100 year rule?

Regards

Steve

I posted a thread a while back about disclosure. An official e-mailed me in response to my requesting the file of an officer who served in the 1920s and to whom I am not related. The e-mail said that while it was 'no' for now I should try again in a few months. That would take us up to May 2007.

It's in my diary...

Bernard

I posted a thread a while back about disclosure. An official e-mailed me in response to my requesting the file of an officer who served in the 1920s and to whom I am not related. The e-mail said that while it was 'no' for now I should try again in a few months. That would take us up to May 2007.

It's in my diary...

Bernard

Hello,

As a matter of interest, this is all I got for £25 or £30. Where is the rest ? not much to show for 7 years service.

Regards

Alan

post-6066-1175016676.jpg

Alan

If it is any consolation, I received about the same amount of material for my father's WW2 service records. I was not impressed with four years service overseas in Crete, North Africa, Palestine and Greece. <_<

Regards

Mel

Pals

I've received details of two of my ancestors who served in WW2: one a Sgt in the RAMC, the other an officer in the RASC. For my GF (the Sgt in the RAMC) I first received a type written transcript of his service record, followed after a short while by a photocopy of the actual record, which roughly resembled the 'standard' WW1 Attestion Form. For my GUnc I received a photocopy of his Officers Service record. So, I was very pleased and impressed with what I got. It seems it's luck of the draw?

Regards

Steve