Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HELP! What happened to the Victory medal?

snailybailey

I'd be grateful for an interpretation of what this casualties MIC is telling me. I have his BWM and 1915 star but no Victory medal. Can't work out whether it was returned by the family (no idea why this would happen) or not delivered for some other reason....can anybody shed some light? I'd love to know what all the annotations and numbers on the MIC mean...please!

Also since he was KIA on 1st July 1916, does anybody have a view as to the value of the existing pair minus the Victory?.....I may laugh or cry depending on your reply

Regards

Glyn

post-5325-1174996836.jpg

Looks like it was returned "undelivered" and then disposed of.

I am sure that somebody will have a more definitive answer for you.

Apparently not in this case at least.

Not always. Often men entitled only to the pair would receive both medals issued in the same box. I have seen trios awarded all singly with each medal in its own box and envelope. I do not know of any hard and fast rule as to how this was done, and given the numbers involved, there will always be exceptions. As he was awarded a trio, if the victory was awarded singly, it is possible it had an error and was sent back for correction. Unfortunately I think the best anyone can do in this case is speculate.

Regards

Steve

Looks like the A.G. (Adjutant General) of the Navy returned the Vic. for disposal. Returned undelivered, as you say. Gawd knows why the Navy were involved. Perhaps he had earlier Naval service?

Thanks Guys....very informative but as you say we're guessing a little....if anybody has any more info feel free to contribute!!

regards

Glyn