Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Horabin

vmkarlsson

Hi everyone

My name is Vanessa and i have been trying to find my great great grandfathers army records but i havent had much luck.

I dont have much information about him. All that i know is that his name was Joseph Horabin (can be spelt Horrabin) and that he was in world war one and that he didnt died in the war. My nan gave me a photo of him in his army uniform. From the looks of it he was in the Staffordshire regiment. This is the photo i was given.

JoesphHorrabin.jpg

I also know that at the time there was a big chance he lived in warwickshire (birmingham) Since he lived there in the 1940's, but my family also lived in worcestershire. I dont have an exact year of when he was born but around about 1887 give or take 5 years.

Any information and help that i can get of you guys would be wonderful. I know it isnt much but its all i have.

From Vanessa xXx

Hi Vanessa

These are the only men I could find on the Medal Index Cards to match your man

Kind regards

John

Medal card of Horabin, Joseph

Corps: South Lancashire Regiment

Regiment No: 1548

Corps: Leicestershire Regiment

Regiment No: 15974

Corps: Royal Engineers

Regiment No: 122038

Medal card of Horrabin, Joseph

Corps Regiment Private

South Lancashire Regiment 1548 Private

Thanks for the help.

But i have one question. If Horabin was in the Staffordshire regiment is it possible for him to be in the Leicestershire or Lancashire regiments as well?

Hello Vanessa

I can't really add anything to frajohn's posting other than there are three separate Joseph Horabins - they just happen to have the same name:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

The South Lancs man looks promising because the number appears to be a pre-regular number and your photo also looks pre-war. He also has two MICs with the different spelling.

The Leics Horabin did not survive the war:

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=556706

If you post the photo in the uniforms/ medals /equipment section of the forum, ask for a regimental identification - there are some real buffs on uniforms who may be able to confirm whether it is a South Lancs regimental dress uniform.

I aslo suggest that you download the MICs and post them here for further help.

Regards

Mel

I have just had a look at the the South Lancs details - he was a Territorial subject to the 1917 six figure renumbering.

Did your GGF live in South Lancs at any point before the war?

If Horabin was in the Staffordshire regiment is it possible for him to be in the Leicestershire or Lancashire regiments as well?

Yes. The medal index cards only show the regiment the man was with one he was overseas. He could easily have trained with one of the Staffordshire regiments before going to war - and this would not appear on the card.

Vanessa

To confuse matters further - the varaition in spelling to Horrobin throws up three further candidates with a Staffs connection:

and three further candidates in other regiments:

I have just had a look at the the South Lancs details - he was a Territorial subject to the 1917 six figure renumbering.

Did your GGF live in South Lancs at any point before the war?

The problem is .... my great grand parents both died in there 40's and so my nan doesnt no much about Joseph. He had my great grandmother in 1912 and he had a son and another daughter after. Iam pretty sure they were born around the warwickshire area.

But you never know he could have been born in south lancs :blink:

Easy way to tell which of the two Staffordshire regiments it is, from the cap badge (assuming you can see it will enough):-

Both badges are based on the Staffordshire knot. On top of the knot, the North Staffords have the three Prince of Wales feathers and the South Staffords have a crown.

Easy way to tell which of the two Staffordshire regiments it is, from the cap badge (assuming you can see it will enough):-

Both badges are based on the Staffordshire knot. On top of the knot, the North Staffords have the three Prince of Wales feathers and the South Staffords have a crown.

Trust my luck ..... i dont have a picture of the cap :(

But atleast its down to two it could be :)

On FreeBMD, I can find only one Joseph Horabin or Horrabin born in the timeline given (1887 + or - 5 years)

Joseph Horabin, born September quarter 1882, registration district Prescot, Lancs

Jim

A bit more checking for name variations:

A Joseph Horobin born Leek, Staffs June quarter, 1887

and several Joseph Horrobins in Staffs and Birmingham:

Joseph William Horrobin, Stone, Staffs, Dec 1883

Joseph Horrobin, Stoke on Trent, Staffs, Sep 1884

---ditto----ditto, Kings Norton, B'ha,m Dec 1885

---ditto----ditto, ---ditto---ditto, Dec 1888

---ditto----ditto, Stone, Staffs, March 1890

Any (or none) of these could be him....

Vanessa

Securing a copy of your grandmother's 1912 birth certificate might yield some useful information.

regards

Mel

On FreeBMD, I can find only one Joseph Horabin or Horrabin born in the timeline given (1887 + or - 5 years)

Joseph Horabin, born September quarter 1882, registration district Prescot, Lancs

Jim

wow thats interesting :) any chance of getting the link to that please?

wow thats interesting :) any chance of getting the link to that please?

Vanessa

FreeBMD - does what it says on the tin (it's free), Find it here. scroll down and click on the 'Search' button to start finding the GRO registration indexes - mostly complete pre-1900, still being transcribed by volunteers for later years.

Jim

Ok....

My nan just came up with some new info

She said he was a member of the contemtables war 1916-1918

Anyone no anything about it?

Vanessa

What was your great grandmother's name? There was a Margaret W. Horrobin born in West Brom in 1912.

Regards

Mel

Vanessa

What was your great grandmother's name? There was a Margaret W. Horrobin born in West Brom in 1912.

Regards

Mel

Her name was Mary

Ok....

My nan just came up with some new info

She said he was a member of the contemtables war 1916-1918

Anyone no anything about it?

:P

read this from the main site:

The Old Contemptibles

The "Old Contemptibles" was the title proudly adopted by the men of the BEF who saw service before 22 November 1914. They were the originals, and most were regular soldiers or reservists. They derive their honourable title from the famous "Order of the Day" given by Kaiser Wilhelm II at his headquarters in Aix-la-Chapelle on the 19 August, 1914:- "It is my Royal and Imperial Command that you concentrate your energies, for the immediate present upon one single purpose, and that is that you address all your skill and all the valour of my soldiers to exterminate first the treacherous English; walk over General French's contemptible little Army." The precise translation has been debated endlessly, but the irony of the choice of title is clear.

Ok Vanessa

There was a Mary F. M. Horrobin born in the last quarter of 1912 in King's Norton. Mother's surname was Snape.

District: King's Norton

Vol: 6 o

Page 920

Is this your great grandmother?

Ok Vanessa

There was a Mary F. M. Horrobin born in the last quarter of 1912 in King's Norton. Mother's surname was Snape.

District: King's Norton

Vol: 6 o

Page 920

Is this your great grandmother?

Yes thats the one :)

OK Vanessa

We now know that he spelt his name Horrobin.

The first step is to download this MIC:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=3

which should confirm the entitlement to the Mons Star if family folklore is correct.

I suggest that you order a copy of the birth certificate of Mary. This will provide details of Joseph's occupation. He could have been a regular soldier at the time or in a civilian occupation but part of the Reserve and subject to recall.

He would have served in either the 1st or 2nd Battalion. Was he in South Africa in August 1914?

Regards

Mel

Vannessa

These are not necessarily your Gt/Grandmother and her parents, but could be:

The only Mary Horabin/Horobin/Horrabin/Horrobin birth registrations I can find in 1912 are:

Mary B Horrabin, mother's maiden name Sparkes, Croydon, Dec qtr 1912

Mary F. M. Horrobin, mother's maiden name Snape, Kings Norton, Dec qtr 1912

There's a marriage in June 1909 in Kings Norton between Joseph Horrobin and Lilian Millard Snape

(GRO index ref Kings N, Vol. 6c, Page 844)

There's also a marriage in June 1912 in Stockport between Ernest Horrabin and Elsie R Sparkes - presumably the parents of the Mary B Horrabin birth registered in Croydon.

Jim

Oops, I see Mel has beaten me to it! :D

Mary F.M Horrobins details match the ones i have from my nan and my GG nan was Lillian Snape :) Thanks for finding this out for me

Vanessa xXx

Jim

You're a genius with those indexes! So that means that (most likely)Joseph was born in December 1885 in Kings Norton and you have provided the marriage details.

Shall we set up a family research bureau? :P

Regards

Mel

Cheers, Mel. :) Yep, I agree with your analysis - Joseph born Kings Norton Dec 1885 has to be the best candidate.

Families Found Fast - hmm, sounds good! :lol:

Jim