Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ypres in October 2007

Len Trim

Hi,

as per my note under Passchendaele 2007. I'm planning a trip to the Salient in October. Ryanair quote return flights from Prestwick to Brussels (Charloi) for £10! You can hire a car for £130 for five days. All seems reasonable to me. Anyone recommend cheap, decent accomodation. Notice you can get a bed in Talbot House fro about £24 a night. Anyone suggest a cheaper way to visit the Salient from Scotland.

Len

You could think of an alternative:-

1. Drive to Hull

2. Catch the ferry to Zeebrugge (booking dinner and breakfast in advance)

3. Book accommodation at Varlet Farm

4. Return home the same way.

The ferry is a bit more than £10 (even with the AA Membership discount), but you get a night's sleep on the way there and back, and a great place to stay, on the battlefield.

Bruce

Hi,

we are hopefully booking up tonight. Needless to say the £10 flights do not include all the taxes etc. and prices are really nearer £60! Add to that Prestwick airport is on the wrong side of the country for a Fifer! I would be £20 in petrol and £30 in parking fees to leave my car at Prestwick. It's still cheaper than £150 bmi from Edinburgh, but not as nice as it first looked.

I have emailed Varlet farm to see if they have vacancies. Might give them a ring tonight. In desperation we might use the hostel in Kortrijk which I have used twice before with school parties. Cheap, cheerful and has a bar.

Have used the Hull ferry before. Found it excellent. Away to check the prices.

What I would really like is the Linesman setup (see other threads) to take with me but my wife would not be happy about the cost of that on top of the cost of the trip. Have to have money for the beers of course.

Len

Hi,

well the deed is done. Two of us flying to Brussels on September 3oth, returning October 5th. We are using a hire car to get about and staying in the Shell Hole in Ypres. Now have to get down to the real planning. Three and a half days in Ypres and one long day's visit to the Somme.

Len