Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Composition of German Seventeenth Army?

rbrauerei

Anyone have order of battle/composition info on the German Seventeenth Army which held the Hindenburg Line with seven divisions in front line; this would be the area attacked by Third Army on Sept. 27-Oct. 2 1918.

Would be nice to know which German divisions faced VI. Corps (3rd Div, Guards Div, 62nd Div) and ideally which German units faced the Guards Div.

Internet searches and my mostly non-existant library have turned up next to nothing.

A cold beer would be nice too... :P Cheers!

Anyone have order of battle/composition info on the German Seventeenth Army which held the Hindenburg Line with seven divisions in front line; this would be the area attacked by Third Army on Sept. 27-Oct. 2 1918.

Hi!

The volume of Der Weltkrieg 1914 bis 1918 that covers this perion is impossibly rare, but should have the information. I will take a peek in my index of the Schlachten volumes, they cover only selected engamement, but do so in great detail.

I have another source that might have the info, but I have not seen it in a while, it is probably under a mountain of paper situated 2 1/2 feet to my north.

Bob Lembke

Bob, I thought you might be the one with some idea... :) And of course, I'd have to want something that's "impossibly rare."

I have another source that might have the info, but I have not seen it in a while, it is probably under a mountain of paper situated 2 1/2 feet to my north.

Bob Lembke

Belayed myself (did you ever climb Triglav?) into the Papier=Berg and found the book, which I have not seen for half a year.

It's description of the 17th Army during that battle includes 5 Gereralkommandos (HQs) of army corps, and 25 divisions. Unfortunately it does not have any geographical detail, other than, along with the 2nd and 18th Armies, being engaged in Abwehrschlacht zwischen Cambrei und St. Quentin ("Defensive battle between Cambrei and St. Quentin") from September 27, 1918 to October 8th, 1918. The other two armies fought there at slightly different times.

The sub-units are itemized but I did not take the time to type in the whole description, as I do not know if it is of use to you.

Bob Lembke

As you probably know, the Canadian Corps were advancing on the immediate left of Third Army on this occasion, so they were probably facing many of the same units. The report of the Canadian 4th Division (on the Canadian right ) includes these "identifications":

Detail of Identifications

187th Division

-187th I.R. (bns 1,2,and 3)

-188th I.R. (bns 1,2, and 3)

-189th I.R. (bns 1,2 and 3)

7th Cavalry Division

-28th S.K. (bns 1,2, and 3)

-30th S.K. (bns 1 and 2)

-41st S.K. (bns 1,2 and 3)

12th Division

-62nd I.R. (bns 1,2 and 3)

-23rd I.R. (bn 3)

-63rd I.R. (bn 1)

22nd Division

-82nd I.R. (bns 1 and 2)

1st Guards Res. Division

-1st Guards R.R. (bns 1,2, and 3)

-64th Regiment (bns 1,2, and 3)

-2nd Guards R.R. (bns 1 and 2)

207th Division

-209th R.I.R. (bn 1)

-98th R.I.R. (bns 1 and 3)

-213th R.I.R. (bns 1,2 and 3)

26th R. Division

-180th I.R. (bns 1,2 and 3)

-119th R.I.R. (bn 3)

-121st R.I.R. (bns 2 and 3)

220th Division

-190th I.R. (bns 1, 2 and 3)

234th Division

-451st I.R. (bns 1,2 and 3)

Of course, this is not exactly what you want, but perhaps it is of some interest.

Hi

I'm in the midest of scanning part of Volume 13 Der Weltkrieg and its taking time.

When I have finnished I will check one of my Volume 14 copies.

Regards

Mart

Yes, my source, published by the Great General Staff, so probably authorative, has all of those divisions listed by "jhill" as divisions in the 17th Army at that time. The 7th Cavalry is listed as the 7. Kavalerie Schuetzen Division , probably best translated as the 7th Cavalry Rifle Division, probably suggesting that it was dismounted cavalry.

The Army also included Bavarian divisions and the 3rd Marine Division.

I looked at my index to the 38 volumes of the Schlachten series, and I think none cover this battle, although two might possibly, so I will look. These volumes are heavily slanted toward the begining of the war. Also remember that the creation and survival of the records of the German Army slipped badly in the last few months, as almost everything fell apart.

Bob Lembke

Yes, Mart is one of the few people on earth who actually possesses copies of Volumes 13 and 14. "Irishgunner" is certainly lucky to have this thread catch his eye. One or the other (probably vol. 14) will probably have your answer. By the way, did you ever climb Triglav?

Bob Lembke

Gentlemen, thank you all for the replies; quite helpful.

Mart, definately will appreciate your future efforts; if it narrows your work at all, I'm most interested in units that may have battled with the Guards Div.

Bob; Yes, Triglav, Krn, and a few others, but most of them are medica clouded memories at this point. Kobarid is one of my favorite places on earth; if I could chose only one restaurant for a last meal, it would be Kotlar in Kobarid.

PS: Ich spreche auch Deutsch. ;)

Bob; Yes, Triglav, Krn, and a few others, but most of them are medica clouded memories at this point. Kobarid is one of my favorite places on earth; if I could chose only one restaurant for a last meal, it would be Kotlar in Kobarid.

PS: Ich spreche auch Deutsch. ;)

I climbed Triglav twice (with women), and then went to Switzerland five summers, bringing a Slovene guide, much to the annoyance of the Zermatt guides. But he was one of the first to climb the Nordwand of the Matterhorn. I probably have driven thru Kobarid 10 times or more, and I never ate there. My favorite restaurant on the road to Vrisic disappeared some years ago.

PS: Mann must Deutsch gesprachen! I actually learned to speak German in Ljubljana.