Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aberdeen Allenvale

KF Kelly

• 12 years later...

I was just adding some pictures of the memorial wall in Allenvale to the IWM WMR.  I photographed it years ago when photographing war graves for the TWGPP. I just preumed it was a list of servicemen buried in the cemetery in WWI.

But ii is actually soldiers who died in No.1 Scottish General Hospital, Aberdeen during or after WWI.

Floral Tributes.

Then came a strikingly beautiful part of the ceremony. There was laid in front the memorial a profusion of wreaths and floral tributes - great garlands of laurel leaves intermingling with flowers of chaste white, with Flanders poppies, and with other blooms which gave the graves a blaze of vivid colouring. Under the central panel was placed a large wreath from '' The City of Aberdeen: in Grateful Remembrance." Other tributes were placed from members of the Territorial Army Nursing Service, Ist Scottish General Hospital; from members of the local committee of the Territorial Army Nursing Service (Highland Division); from the Hon. P. C, Larkin, High Commissioner for Canada, London - "in grateful remembrance of the Canadian soldiers buried here who gave their lives in the Great War"; from the Y.M.C.A.; from the Col. the Rev. James Smith, T.D., bearing the inscription, "Gallant lads," and from number of private individuals and relatives of the fallen. Amidst the glory of the blooms and evergreens there stood out most pathetically, appealingly, a tiny cross of white flowers centred with a blood-red rose, and bearing this inscription, so pregnant with meaning, "From Somebody's Mother."

01-PICT1713.JPG.8562fb0996f3c82594d44363d8d7033e.JPG703669050_02-PICT1713-Copy.JPG.f22c85680b213e80d95ee39511b729a8.JPG07-PICT1718.JPG.b81a9554aec8c3e5edfebfa69aba094c.JPG1970352423_08-PICT1718-Copy.JPG.6fbb62dd1b897f455e95d8a8ab73589f.JPG

Edited by mbriscoe

I must try to get a look at that.

The gravestone in post #1 is interesting. The inscription has page to itself in the CWGC documents.

RM

• 2 years later...

RM,  You may already have visited Allenvale but if not, this what3words location such.hurray.cable should  get you to the Farquharson gravestone.

Kevin