Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Seaforth Highlanders Officer Killed at Loos

David_Bluestein

I would be most grateful for any information on the below named fallen officer.

He was killed with the Seaforth Highlanders during the Battle of Loos; September 25, 1915

Captain Alex George RAVENHILL

"A" Coy. 8th Bn. Seaforth Highlanders

Any details related to him or the 8th on Septmeber 25th would be most appreciated.

Thank you kindly in advance, :)

David

Recorded in The Times but nothing other than killed

The Times, Wednesday, Oct 13, 1915; pg. 6; Issue 40984; col A

David

Here is a named officers group photo of the 8th Battalion of the Seaforth Highlanders as it appears in the book The Sword of the North - Highland Memories of the Great War

I have included an enlargement of Capt. Ravenhill from this photo.

Ian

David

Here is the page from the book The Sword of the North - Highland Memories of the Great War

that mentions the action at Loos of the 8th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders and the death of Capt.Ravenhill

Ian

David

Here is the page from the book The Sword of the North - Highland Memories of the Great War

that mentions the action at Loos of the 8th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders and the death of Capt.Ravenhill

Ian

Hello Ian

Is there anything in that book that mentions the 7th Seaforths at Loos? A cousin of mine, Capt Harry Pynson Bennitt, fell there. I have posted about him on another thread.

thanks and cheers, Martin B

O.H. has the 8th Seaforths and 9th BW as the attack battalions leading off at 6.30 am They attacked from Russian saps and had less than 200 yards to cover to the German trench. They suffered heavy losses to MGs, rifle fire and Artillery. The SH lost their CO and 2IC before clearing the enemy trench. They then proceeded toward Loos Defences. Here they found the wire only partly cut.Heavy losses again to MGs before clearing the wire and entering Loos. The village was cleared of enemy by 8.00am. As part of 15thDiv , 44th Bgde., the 8th Seaforths took part in one of the two successful actions of the day.

Thanks a million for the above info! Great Stuff :)

Especially to Ian for the brilliant photo's. These things have really helped a great deal.

Best regards,

David

Hello Ian

Is there anything in that book that mentions the 7th Seaforths at Loos? A cousin of mine, Capt Harry Pynson Bennitt, fell there. I have posted about him on another thread.

thanks and cheers, Martin B

Martin

In the section of book Sword of the North dealing with the 7th Seaforths Capt H.P. Bennitt is mentioned as being killed but with no additional details. There is a named officer group photo of C Company 7th Seaforths but your relative is not listed as among them.

Ian

jdwn1 said:
Martin

In the section of book Sword of the North dealing with the 7th Seaforths Capt H.P. Bennitt is mentioned as being killed but with no additional details. There is a named officer group photo of C Company 7th Seaforths but your relative is not listed as among them.

Ian

Ian

thanks for that. Could I trouble you to post the relevant description of the action on this thread at your next opportunity?

thanking you in advance

cheers Martin B