Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Andrew Linton b. Lincoln in 1899-Which regiment?

stevebrocklesby

post-20105-1174731321.jpgDear All,

Can anyone help me home in on this soldier? He is Andrew Linton, birth registered late 1899, so the picture is likely to be dated 1917 or 1918, when he was 18 or 19. He was born in or around Lincoln. I have spoken with his (much younger) brother, who is still alive, and he does not know anything about his unit. I have also attempted to get a handle from his cap badge, but the resolution is poor. Even the original photo, which is from a postcard, is indistinct. The best guess that I have, from looking at cap badges on the web, is possibly the West Riding (Duke of Wellington) Regiment?

He does not appear to have a medal card.

Any assistance will be gratefully received.

Kind regards

Steve Brocklesby

Difficult to say for sure, but Duke's looks good to me.

Is he boss-eyed? I wonder if that's why there's no medal card: he may well not have been sent overseas. Hate to say this, but he looks like the chap who used to be in the Laurel and Hardy films - the bloke with the walrus 'tache.

Hello Steve

It would be unwise to discount the three Andrew Linton infantry MICs based upon the cap badge identification alone.

If he was conscripted in 1917, he could have trained with one Regiment as part of the Training Reserve system and served with a completely different one upon entry into the theatre of war.

Regards

Mel

He did have a reputation for looking at people in a funny way. However he was, allegedly, gassed at some point and did not fully recover, which suggests he did see action.

Steve

Difficult to say for sure, but Duke's looks good to me.

Is he boss-eyed? I wonder if that's why there's no medal card: he may well not have been sent overseas. Hate to say this, but he looks like the chap who used to be in the Laurel and Hardy films - the bloke with the walrus 'tache.

Thanks, Mel.

I can see 5 medal cards for Andrew Linton. I doubt he was ever promoted above private, so that would leave 3. Durham Light Infantry looks the favourite, but I am not confident. I will try for a bit more information.

Steve

Hello Steve

It would be unwise to discount the three Andrew Linton infantry MICs based upon the cap badge identification alone.

If he was conscripted in 1917, he could have trained with one Regiment as part of the Training Reserve system and served with a completely different one upon entry into the theatre of war.

Regards

Mel

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again Everyone,

I have not been able to progress, but I am persisting with this. I am somewhat perplexed that I do not seem able to track him down.

As mentioned above by Mel, would all soldiers posted overseas definately will have had a MIC? If so I may be looking at his and not recognising it for what it is. However the ones that have his name do not seem to fit somehow - I have 4 of them on one NA download. Could he have joined up too young or changed his name to join up or was promoted on the fast track?

He would not have been on any absent voters list as he was still under 21 in 1918.

Does anyone have any other ideas how I could get a handle?

I would be grateful for any inspiration.

Regards

Steve

I have a grandfather born in the same year who was in uniform by 1915 but never served overseas, so also has no mic. Because he was under age he was put on home defence duties, and the war ended before he needed to be transferred to a fighting unit. Looking at the main site, several Duke of Wellington's battalions were used as reserve or training units, so he could have been in one of these. Where you go from there though, I don't know.

I have a grandfather born in the same year who was in uniform by 1915 but never served overseas, so also has no mic. Because he was under age he was put on home defence duties, and the war ended before he needed to be transferred to a fighting unit. Looking at the main site, several Duke of Wellington's battalions were used as reserve or training units, so he could have been in one of these. Where you go from there though, I don't know.

Thanks, Dave.

I had originally surmised that he was sent overseas, because of the family story (possibly untrue) that he was gassed and that was the reason for his bad chest. However his poor health could equally have been down to his post war job of labourer in a chemical works. Also, his brother, Arthur, mentioned above, was apparently named after a close buddy of Andrews who was killed in the war and this loss affected everyone in the family. Of course they may not necessary have served together. I will have to just plug away at it some other way.

Incidentally, Dave, I have tried to reply to you PM, but your inbox appears either to be full or switched off. I was not being rude by deliberatly ignoring your message.

Regards

Steve

Incidentally, Dave, I have tried to reply to you PM, but your inbox appears either to be full or switched off.

Oops sorry. Unblocking now...