Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Europa from August 1914 - 2 Oct 1915

MsAngry

Hi,

My Great Uncle Thomas Mason (RMLI - 11626) was on the Europa between these dates and I wondered if anyone knew what kind of activities he would have been involved in?

The ship is listed as being part of the 9th Cruiser Squadron Atlantic :World War 1.co.uk site

The ships' history is:

Europa

1914 9th Cruiser Squadron Atlantic.

July 1915 Mudros.

1920 Sold for scrap.

Some more googling gave some information about Mudros says:

Mudros comprised a small Greek port on the Mediterranean island of Lemnos. It gained wartime significance with the determination of the Allies - chiefly the British and largely through the enthusiasm of Winston Churchill - in the early part of 1915 to attempt to seize control of the Dardanelles Straits, some 50km away.

Photo of Mudros Harbour 1915

Thanks for any information,

Colette

Colette

9th Cruiser Squadron was part of the Grand Fleet based at Scapa Flow. The cruiser HMS EUROPA took part in the naval operations off Gallipoli during 1915. I'm not sure when she arrived there (she was not there from the very start of the campaign) but I think she may have arrived in May. I cannot find any reference to her actions in any of my books. You would need to check her log at TNA to get precise movements. Mudros harbour on Lemnos was the main base and (protected) anchorage for RN ships when not on operations around Gallipoli.

Hi,

My Great Uncle Thomas Mason (RMLI - 11626) was on the Europa between these dates and I wondered if anyone knew what kind of activities he would have been involved in?

The ship is listed as being part of the 9th Cruiser Squadron Atlantic :World War 1.co.uk site

The ships' history is:

Europa

1914 9th Cruiser Squadron Atlantic.

July 1915 Mudros.

1920 Sold for scrap.

Some more googling gave some information about Mudros says:

Mudros comprised a small Greek port on the Mediterranean island of Lemnos. It gained wartime significance with the determination of the Allies - chiefly the British and largely through the enthusiasm of Winston Churchill - in the early part of 1915 to attempt to seize control of the Dardanelles Straits, some 50km away.

Photo of Mudros Harbour 1915

Thanks for any information,

Colette

At the beginning of the war she was flagship of the Ninth Cruiser Squadron, Rear-Admiral de Robeck, on the Finistere station. She was still in that area in early 1915 flying the flag of Rear-Admiral Sir Archibald Moore as flagship of the squadron operating for the protection of trade in the Finistere-Canaries area.

She arrived at Mudros in about June of 1915 and hoisted the flag of Rear-Admiral Wemyss. The EUROPA was an obsolete but large cruiser suitable for an administrative headquarters.

The cruiser Europa became the flagship at Mudros and also a depot ship for the destoyers in th Aegean July 1915-1920 as well as Auxiliary Patrols of trawlers and Motor Boats. Tenders (sub bases in this case) went to Port Said 14/3/1916. Details from Lt Cdr. Warlow 'Shore Establishments of the Royal Navy,' (Maritime Books, Liskeard, 2000).

So your great uncle could have been in the marine guard for the flag officer or part of the support for the various ships that Europa served. The advantage of using her as a depot ship was that she probably had better facilities than Mudros initially and then her workshops etc could be used to augment the facilities built on the island.

That is very helpful, Per, and her depot ship role explains why there is no evidence of EUROPA being in action at Gallipoli. As to when she arrived at Mudros, the following entries from "Dardanelles - A Midshipman's Diary" by HM Denham (serving in HMS AGAMEMNON) may shed some light:-

"Friday 28th May 1915 - Arriving Malta [for refit]. ... List of British ships that have taken part in the Dardanelles operations during the last four months: ... EUROPA ..." So she must have been seen on station by him before AGAMEMNON left Mudros for Malta on 26 May.

"Wednesday 23rd June 1915 - ...we arrived safely at Mudros coming to anchor there at 6.40 p.m. and discharged 400 mail bags for the fleet to EUROPA for distribution."

These are the only mentions of EUROPA at Gallipoli that I have seen anywhere.

• 7 months later...
Guest ashley watson

It's been a while since there was some comment on this topic but, as a new boy, I thought I might be able to shed some light on one or two issues. (My grandfather John Watson was a RNR seaman on Europa.) Here goes:

1. I perused the ship's log of the Europa when I was at TNA a few months ago. It appears that the Europa never left Mudros Harbour for the duration of the Gallipoli campaign - she was stated as being at 'Port Mudros' on every day of the log. (I assume she wouldn't have gone out on missions just for the day.)

2. I also had a look at the diary of Captain AGD Twigg at the IWM in London, which mentions Europa. The IWM summary of the diary is available on a website but I think it contains an inaccuracy: it states that Twigg recorded battle activities aboard Europa off Gallipoli, whereas, in fact, these activities took place aboard HMS Grafton. It is fairly clear that it wasn't Europa when your read the diary entries day by day. So, I assume Europa remained at Mudros as the flagship/supply ship etc.

3. All of this seems to be consistent with "per ardua"s comment that Europa did not get battle honours at Gallipoli.

Not directly relevant to these issues, I went to Mudros/Lemnos while I was over on that side of the world and would be happy to share impressions and observations if anyone is interested.

• 7 years later...

Can anyone tell me if HMS Europa was a hospital ship or had any such facilities?

My Great Uncle, Walter John Curling RMLI is listed as dying (DOI) on this ship on the 5th January 1915. I believe he was injured in Gallipoli.

My Great Uncle, Walter John Curling RMLI is listed as dying (DOI) on this ship on the 5th January 1915. I believe he was injured in Gallipoli.

the correct DoD is 1916

CURLING, Walter J, Private, RMLI (RFR 859), 16807 (Po), RND, 2nd RM Battalion, 5 January 1916, Gallipoli, DOI

see http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCasAlpha1914-18C2.htm & http://www.naval-history.net/xDKCas1916-01Jan.htm

An interesting case in that, although he is reported as DOI, his name is on the Helles Memorial, indicating an unknown/lost place of burial ashore on Gallipoli. If he had died in EUROPA (and why EUROPA - a depot ship, not a hospital) at Mudros he would have been buried on Lemnos.

• 3 months later...

HI

Yep, I understand that Walter is listed on the Helles Memorial but his is actually listed as dying from wounds on a hospital ship. Which one might that be? If soldiers did die on a hospital ship would they be buried at sea?